Here's hoping for 2GB ram not 1GB....

codifies

Very Active Member
I was honestly suprised that the new quad core Rpi was only supplied with 1GB, I really can't see that the price difference between a 1GB and 2GB ram chip is really that great? possibly in the budget for a Rpi but hopefully not for the Pyra

Even if you aren't a "power user" who's using multiple cores to compile lots of software, or raytracing massive images.... then the "extra" 1GB of ram would be in no way wasted...

Linux is very good at using just about every scrap of ram it can get its gready hands on, this is mainly for buffer and caches but it's very quick and good at giving this back if its needed for an application - so even "unused" memory has a hand at speeding your system.

Looking closer at the 1GB scenario - it *really* really is beyond the days where "640kb" is more than enough for anyone - while the new model Rpi will have just about enough grunt to be a simple web / email client, even such a simple (single tab!) use like that really is going to be pushing things as even with a slim Xfce desktop and lightweight browser you really do need 1MB ram at a minimum.

I don't know about you, but I want to do more with my Pyra than the Rpi's been limited to by its crippling ram allowance....

The OMAP 5 Devboard has 2GB of RAM, I suspect the Pyra will have at least that.  Honestly still haven't found an application that needed more than 750MBs.

How about 4 programs, mail, irc, word processor and a browser with a dozen tabs....

Jeeze what you running a 640x480 16 colour framebuffer...

ARM is generally less of a RAM hog. Additionally, the available Thumb2 instruction set is able to make code about 30% smaller than using common ARM instructions.

Defiantly going to play with gentoo on a rPI while I wait for a Pyra, the speed/memory of these devices finally make it practical and you can sure make a slim AND highly optimised (for the specific CPU you're using) OS.... Have you don't much compiling packages with -j2 and looking at memory usage?

Well okay actually just around 750MB.. logged into remotly via X11VNC, running a game (opentyrian), LibreOffice with an open document file, Iceweasle (with actually 14 tabs on different pages), Hexchat for IRC, Text editor and two open terminals.

Performance.png

Actually 1280x720 with 32bit colo(u)r framebuffer.. which is realistically what  we are going to see on the Pyra

Last edited by a moderator:
More is better - until it isn't.  There is a bit of a balancing act between niche capabilities and costs ($ & mA).

My dream for the Pyra includes continuously running the base OS and two Android VMs (one for work, one for play).  Between overhead (the part running inside of Debian) and apps running inside of the Android VMs, I could see that easily consuming 512MB or more per VM.  Of course that dream is apparently a long ways off due to the nascent nature of VM on arm and Android's 3D requirement.

So, I see 1GB as too little,  2GB RAM as a good middle ground.  3GB would be a sweet spot for the 'overkill user' as above, but likely impossible.  4GB might be too much.

2 Gig is the most realistic target right now.

As the ram is on the CPU board it might get an upgrade as well.

What? You have colour displays?

My dream for the Pyra includes continuously running the base OS and two Android VMs
wow... that is... much... will drain power...

About the memory: Tough one. Im certain that the requirements of the Pyra will be such that 1 will be just too little (we can see this already with the Pandora, some apps need a swap). But for all things practical...

wow... that is... much... will drain power...
Not really if the VM is handled 'right'.  If you use VirtualBox on an X86, you can dictate to the VM handler what portion of 1 CPU to give the VM and call '1 CPU'.  So, right off the top you can limit what their single thread peak usage is.

Keep in mind that Android has pretty good power management built in too.  It sits in low power mode then periodically flips up to go check networking then drops back to a low state.  My background (always on) use is mostly to handle email clients which don't hit the CPU much.  The work Android email client has no ARM Linux version - though there may be an X86 Linux one.  Not like leaving a game or movie playback running though.

I really don't see those VM sessions 'killing' battery life.  They may drop standby by 5% each though beyond the already always running Debian, networking, 3G/4G, GPS, etc.

In general higher capacity memory needs to refresh faster to keep proper memory retention and this is outside the fact that these higher capacity memories have a lot more transistor and capacitor cells active at once. So this is where power consumption could be an issue. It may not be that much of an issue, but it's something that should be looked at.

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll probably start with the 2GB RAM and it seems we could go up to 8GB with our current setup.
That leads to a naming convention.

Pyra 2, "Pyratwo"

Pyra 4, "Pyrafour"

Pyra 8, "Pyraeight - Ahoy ye landlubbers!"

Seriously though - you could use that as a cheap-to-produce product segmentation.

"Segmentation" - a scheme to ensure that those who can afford to pay more -do-.

Maybe charge $75 more for the 4 and $150 more for the 8?  Even though it wouldn't matter a bit to >95% of the usage cases, some people are willing to pay more even for the perception of 'more power'.

It would make the purchase sheet a bit more complicated... more like buying a car.

Pyra Option sheet (wild ass guesses on prices)

Optional Aluminum case +$100

Optional 3G + GPS Europe +$75

Optional 4G + GPS Eurpoe +150

Optional 3G + GPS US AT&T or T-mobile +$100

Optional 4G + GPS US AT&T +$175

Optional 3G + GPS US Sprint or Verizon or US Cellular +$100

Optional 4G + GPS US Sprint or Verizon or US Cellular +$175

Optional 4GB RAM +$75

Optional 8GB RAM +$150

Optional 128GB Lexar microSD with OS preloaded $150

Optional pre-installed screen protector +$25

Optional aluminum stylus +$15

Optional 256GB SDXC card with entire PND Manager collection pre-loaded AND text contents of Wikipedia cached, unit painted purple outer case parts with lime green keyboard and screen bezels and a DragonBox Pyra embroidered towel (Hickhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Version) + $300

The list could go on and on...

Back