Hexen2x Released

HauJobb

Website
Visit site
HEP (author of the Heretic2x port)
released Hexen2x based on the hhexen 0.1 linux port.
It is an Interpreter for Hexen: Beyond Heretic by Raven Software.

gp2x_hexen_3iH.jpg

Features:

FEATURES:
- fullscreen
- (almost) fullspeed
- sound fx
- keymapping via "mapping.txt" file

Download: Hexen2x v0.4

Wow awesome. Hexen is great too. Thanks for porting these.

Doe this one have a true 320 x 240 mode (like Heretic)? Now it looks like it is 320 x 200 stretched.
If it doesn't an option for non-stretched would be nice. It would reduce some of the pixellation and probably run a bit smoother too.

HEP: Did you improve upon NK's Hexen2x source (http://kldp.net/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/trunk/hexen2x/?root=gp2mania) or is this a port from the original code?
Nor. It is a port from hhexen.

The advantage compared to NK's port is that it is faster, saving works, the graphics are not stretched (true 320x240) and you can configure the controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
@HEP

Is a interpreter for other "doom-games" based on your work possible? Most interesting for me is "strife".
:rolleyes:
could it be the third part of your doom-engine-games-serie?? :D

This works great! I only played it for about 10 minutes in the first level and found the frame rate spot on (oc'd at 250mhz). I know there might be some slow down on more demanding levels, but so far no sign whatsoever. Very nicely done!

It's definitely one of my favorites from years ago. I never came close to finishing it because the portal-hub maps become extremely confusing later on. I felt like the lost kids in "Blair Witch Project" walking around the same terrain for hours, going "How the $%^& am I supposed to get out of here!"

@HEP

Is a interpreter for other "doom-games" based on your work possible? Most interesting for me is "strife".
could it be the third part of your doom-engine-games-serie?? :D
I will take a look at svstrife, but I don't promiss anything.

Is something wrong with the port?

I got two votes and the rating was 9/10 and now there are four votes and it is only 5/10! If I calculated right two people must have rated 1/10. So you two please say what you have to criticize! Only this way the port can be improved. What you are doing is totally unconstructive.

I got two votes and the rating was 9/10 and now there are four votes and it is only 5/10! If I calculated right two people must have rated 1/10. So you two please say what you have to criticize! Only this way the port can be improved. What you are doing is totally unconstructive.

While I didn't vote on that rating I have a suggestion. It would be nice if the game ran at a true 320 x 240 resolution and not scaled up 320 x 200 like now. The uneven scaling makes things a bit more blocky. I know it was done for Heretic so maybe possible here? If not have a 1:1 option setting too. Also an adjustable gamma would be nice.

Thanks for the great port.

I don't know what you mean. It is true 320x240 like Heretic2X. Are you sure you downloaded my port and not NK's?

I don't know what you mean. It is true 320x240 like Heretic2X. Are you sure you downloaded my port and not NK's?

I thought so. I notice that some rows of pixels are doubled. I will check later which version I have for sure.

Happens all the time unfortunately. The archive is invaluable for hosting files, but pretty much useless for everything else.

Here is a little foretaste: http://www-stud.uni-essen.de/~sephkrae/Strife2X_alpha.zip.Unfortunately it is unplayable slow. Heretic and Hexen were already running at 15 fps at this stage, so it seems like here is more code to be adjusted. You have to add strife1.wad and voices.wad from the original game files (lowercase!).

Thanks for your great work. Please dont be discouraged by some people in the archive.

Keep up the great work! ;)

I wouldn't take the votes too seriously, they do not really reflect the overall opinions of our gamers.
Some people will cast a vote without even having downloaded any piece of software, just ignore them kids! ;)

I'm really happy to see these being ported (well, interpreted!), just didn't have the time yet to actually play them myself but will do that ASAP.

Thank you thank you! :)

"SunSpire"

All your ports are great, including "Strife" !!!! Thank You!!!

Nr.56 said:

Thanks HEP... your port runs fine on my 2x 8) good work mate!

Back