Hi All New To The Fourms, One Question Tho.

GenesisJLS

Still Fresh
I recently bought a Sony PSP fw 2.01 a gig msd card GTA LCS and the crapy USB connector. Sure to tell you the PSP really does suck, lack of ability to homebrew sucks. Should I return it and get a GPX2? I just need reassurance that I am going to make the right decision. Just give me some upsides to owning a GPX2.

the psp has great commercial games, but they're expensive. I personally love all the classic games from nes, sega, snes, etc. These are all readily avail. on the 2x with a THRIVING community of devs and enthusiats who continually put out new programs and info for the 2x. The 2x is open source and was designed to support the homebrew scene, Sony wants to protect their money...their homebrew scene could be great with the hardware the psp has, but Sony will never let it be. Go with the 2x

If you want homebrew, just go out and get a GP2X

However, bear in mind that for emulation the system(s) you want may not be very good yet.

What I can tell you though is that Genesis = near perfect, as is old MAME (.34 ish). Also, there's great homebrew games already on this system, with noiz2sa as a good example.

In time though, it looks like all systems up to SNES power will be near perfect, and PSX emulation is a very real possibility.

Also, movies look DAMNNN nice on the thing. I mean, holy shit shiny nice...

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's all also much cheaper too (memory card, system), although I recommend an alternate carrying case, 4+ rechargable batteries with a SLOW charger (6+ hour charger, 2500 mAH AA energizer is fine) and a SD card reader (heard DS carrying cases work well)

I recently bought a Sony PSP fw 2.01 a gig msd card GTA LCS and the crapy USB connector. Sure to tell you the PSP really does suck, lack of ability to homebrew sucks. Should I return it and get a GPX2? I just need reassurance that I am going to make the right decision. Just give me some upsides to owning a GPX2.

Keep the PSP and get a GP2X too. That way you have everything covered.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want homebrew, just go out and get a GP2X

However, bear in mind that for emulation the system(s) you want may not be very good yet.

What I can tell you though is that Genesis = near perfect, as is old MAME (.34 ish). Also, there's great homebrew games already on this system, with noiz2sa as a good example.

In time though, it looks like all systems up to SNES power will be near perfect, and PSX emulation is a very real possibility.

Also, movies look DAMNNN nice on the thing. I mean, holy shit shiny nice...

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's all also much cheaper too (memory card, system), although I recommend an alternate carrying case, 4+ rechargable batteries with a SLOW charger (6+ hour charger, 2500 mAH AA energizer is fine) and a SD card reader (heard DS carrying cases work well)

I already got an sd card reader. How much would this all cost in final.

If you are in America...

GP2X from http://gp32z.com/gp2x.html $189.99

1 GB SD card $40-60

2 GB SD card $100-$150 (I recommend this, $100 then $10 rebate =)

Plus shipping... $15 total I bet?

Do the math for what you want. Also, 1 GB might not be enough if you watch movies a lot...

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot: DON'T ORDER SD CARDS FROM GP2X SELLERS! Always overpriced =p

EDIT2: Oh yeah, Energizer thing: you can get from a store a charger 4x AA 2500 mAh pack for $20

Plus $20-25 for a set of 2500mah rechargeable AA's with charger. I got 8 AA's, 4 AAA's, and a charger from Sam's Club for $25.

well after you buy a tv out you need to also buy a few other things to actually get it working and get the cable long enough to sit away from your TV so you dont go blind

and yeah dont buy SD cards from gp2x sellers..overpriced..it may seem more convenient but it still costs monies

whats a good price for a 2GB SD card in the UK?

I love you for the cheap SD card link :D

BTW what's better about a "slow" charger?

You know, can now run homebrew on 2.01 using the LCS bug....... new stuff is getting ported every day (snes, rick dangerous, tetris etc all work already)

Both consoles are great and shit in equal mesures. Combine the two and youd have an awsome bit of kit. (oh and whoever said the PSP has awsome comercial games... gimme some of what youre smoking dude! :p )

You know, can now run homebrew on 2.01 using the LCS bug....... new stuff is getting ported every day (snes, rick dangerous, tetris etc all work already)

Both consoles are great and shit in equal mesures. Combine the two and youd have an awsome bit of kit. (oh and whoever said the PSP has awsome comercial games... gimme some of what youre smoking dude! :p )

Yeah I have been doing that for the past four days now. It's a drag having to load GTA every time just to play an emulator. How many times can you look at the Rock Star Logo a day.

Back