Homm3

john4p

Since there is a Linux version of "Heroes of Might and Magic III" I wonder if it'll be playable on the Pandora's linux os?

About the resolution: the game has a resolution of 800x600 - the Pandora 800x480. Maybe we could scroll up and down with the right analog (for example) in order to access everything...

It's not open source, so it can't be ported (Pandora runs Linux, but has a different CPU architecture). You could keep your fingers crossed for 3DO emulation though.

john4p said:
Since there is a Linux version of "Heroes of Might and Magic III" I wonder if it'll be playable on the Pandora's linux os?

About the resolution: the game has a resolution of 800x600 - the Pandora 800x480. Maybe we could scroll up and down with the right analog (for example) in order to access everything...
Is it open source?

Does it run on ARM Linux?

If the answer to either of these questions is YES then it may be possible. If both are NO then it's not possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so it won't be possible.

I didn't know about a 3DO-version. Interesting...

edit: Maybe I'll write a mail to the creators/producers of HoMM and ask them to recompile their Linux-port for ARM Linux... ;)

3DO emulation is probably your best hope.

Or blindly hope they make it open source.... but i would say 3DO, no reason why it wouldnt work.... the system can be emulated im sure if someone put their mind to it.

I've never heard of a 3DO version of HoM&M. The 3rd came out in 1999 so it's definately not an option. The first came out on DOS and Windows. The DOS requirements is a 486 cpu which I've been told would run very sluggish through DOS Box emulation on the Pandora.

So, unless someone can convince whoever still holds the rights to HoM&M to release the code of the linux version/s, I think we're out of luck.

You could keep your fingers crossed for 3DO emulation though.

I didn't know about a 3DO-version. Interesting...

3DO emulation is probably your best hope.

There is no 3DO version of Heroes of Might and Magic. Don't confuse the company with the console. All of the Heroes of Might and Magic games were PC only (if you leave out the Gameboy ports, they are close to unplayable anyway).

Settle for Wesnoth :)

Well, I hate Battle for Wesnoth. So much effort wasted on such a bad game.

HOMM1 would be great. Maybe someone can obtain the source? Maybe it could run on Dosbox.

nobody should just settle for a game, when the actual game is somehow possible.

a 3DO emulator is likely anyway, i am sure someone will code one. Might take some work though, the 3do was a rather complex system wasnt it?

As I thought - there is no version of HoMM3 for 3DO. It was developed by The 3DO Company and New World Computing for PC, Linux and Mac.

Simon Parzer said:
Settle for Wesnoth :)

Well, I hate Battle for Wesnoth. So much effort wasted on such a bad game.
Battle for Wesnoth was something that I never bothered trying until recently, and I'm surprised at how quickly I got hooked. You may not like it, but it is not a bad game at all. Saying something like "so much effort wasted on such a bad game." makes you kinda sound like a douche-bag. Not saying you are a douche-bag, just saying. Anyway, I'm hoping for a Wesnoth port for Pandora.

Check this out: http://www.palmheroes.com/ .Don't know if it can be ported but it looks pretty cool. Its some kind of homm influenced game for palm pc. It's not free, but maybe the developers can be contacted and asked if a pandora port is possible?

I know its not the same thing, but I thought I'd mention that crusaders of might and magic is on psx. Never played it before, it might be fun.

Try Kings Bounty for Genesis. Its the precursor to HOMM, and fun in its own right (though no HOMM).

JayFoxRox said:
Might sound stupid: whats about the emulation of the macintosh version?
doesnt sound stupid at all.

The simple answer i think though is that it has the same problem as the linux version, the source code is closed.

Theone said:
JayFoxRox said:
Might sound stupid: whats about the emulation of the macintosh version?
doesnt sound stupid at all.

The simple answer i think though is that it has the same problem as the linux version, the source code is closed.

I think he mains running it in Baselisk (MAC emulator)

Back