Hot-swapping Sd Cards

vaustein

Hi all,

Two questions I have after reading both the GP2X official Engrish manual and the GP2X.co.uk supplied manual.

1) Can the SD card be safely inserted after powering-on the GP2X?

2) Once a card is inserted and the unit is powered and has completed the boot sequence, may the SD card be removed and replaced with another SD card?

Thanks! :D

1) Yes
2) Yes

... for FW 2.0, the above 2 statements are true.

Hopefully this issue is resolved in a future firmware release. I encounter this problem as well. The SD card sometimes (not all the time for me however) does not get refreshed.

If you remove the SD card from the unit whilst it is being used, then it will not recognise a new sd card until reboot. However, if you only swap SD cards at the menu for example, then you shouldn't have a problem.

You could always telnet to the device and type "umount /mnt/sd" and see what it says. If it says "device is busy", then something is still trying to use the card.

Oddly I only started having issues with hot swaping cards after I formated them to fat32 they were previously fat16.

But Hey, how often do you need to swap SD cards anyway? :)

I remember having this problem but only once:

I tried hot swapping the card and the OS siezed. Had to restart.
Another time, I tried hot swapping the files on the explorer wont get refreshed i-e I'd still see the old directory structure.

That is it. I haven't had a problem afterwards. But then again I've only got my gp2x 2 days ago... :D
Note: My SD card has a FAT32 filesystem.

Back