How About The 720Mhz Omap For The Second Batch?

darionapole

well just an idea, how about testing the units to see of they reach 720MHz stable? it isn't time consuming like finding the maximum clock speed they could reach, just set it to 725, run some program like super pi, or prime to test stability 1 minute and that's all. if any pandora doesn't reach 720 then it's a NO, but if every pandora reaches 720 MHz then we could use the 720 MHz version of the omap for the second batch without leaving anyone outside, and use 720 mhz as reference for programs instead of 600.

i want an answer form the op team if posible so it would be official. :D

EDIT: just read mali says that the 720mhz version was too expensive

Chips for the second batch have been ordered already, as I said in the other thread ;)

I thought TI didn't make the 600MHZ Cortex anymore? I thought it was 720MHZ now? (Standard Cortex A8 that Pandora is using)

Granted the second batch is already supposed to cost more (I believe I read somewhere that OP was losing money at the USD 330 price due to exchange rates), I would still feel kinda cheated for buying from the first batch if they second batch was rated 120mhz faster.

The issue doesn't even exist, just my two cents.

kingoddball said:
I thought TI didn't make the 600MHZ Cortex anymore? I thought it was 720MHZ now? (Standard Cortex A8 that Pandora is using)
That's not true. There are OMAP3530DCBB and OMAP3530DCBB72 available to order, the latter is 720MHz and the former is 600MHz.
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/omap3530.html#pricingpackaging

Last edited by a moderator:
So what was all the bitching about from a few months ago?
People here were complaining that we have the 600MHZ when TI have "changed" it to 720MHZ (being the same chip)?

I understand what you're saying. TI have just changed the core in the SoC, correct?

kingoddball said:
So what was all the bitching about from a few months ago?
People here were complaining that we have the 600MHZ when TI have "changed" it to 720MHZ (being the same chip)?

I understand what you're saying. TI have just changed the core in the SoC, correct?
There are two versions available now, but we don't know what's the difference, yet.

The best way to alienate and anger first batchers would be to put the more powerful chip in batch 2. It's the worst idea i heard so far, and i've heard a tonne of shit ideas.

gibberish said:
The best way to alienate and anger first batchers would be to put the more powerful chip in batch 2. It's the worst idea i heard so far, and i've heard a tonne of shit ideas.

A better way would to make Batch 2 cheaper. Imagine having paid $330 and wait for one or two years, and then see people buying the Pandora a few months later for a lower price!

kingoddball said:
We don't know if there's been any change the actual manufacturing. It's possible that TI has simply started to speed-sort their chips, and dumping those that pass the 720MHz test into one bin, and the rest in the other bin. Then sell them as BB72 and BB, respectively.

gibberish said:

That won't happen. If anything the first batchers should get a better device or deal than a second batch because they were willing to bite the bullet.
I think he meant use the same chip for 2nd orders but during its dev find the maximum clock speed when stable to make this the standard speed.
I think the idea behind this is that people might want to try some crazy things like N64 emulation so they want to retain warrant but get higher performance.

OP Team is not hopelessly small but then again are not a corporation, so the support from first batchers will "make it or break it"
If 1st batchers are satisfied with the product to a good extent and dont end OP broke, second orders would fill up fast imo.
But that is assuming under these same conditions where there is no good alternative to the Pandora.
I mean imagine if the first batch is success, second batch is on its way (taking some months to prepare, manufacture, assemble) and a great contender comes out.
The probability of this I'm unaware of, but imagine a new N900 is released with gaming controls (dual-nub, d-pad, action keys, R+L).
I think if such a thing was released it could (would?) devastate OP because it can do what you want the Pandora to do and also be your phone making it a more portable solution.
I would actually love a device like that but would hate OP to go down :( .

ed: Some of you might follow up on this with: no keyboard=fail.
But touch screen keyboard if big is not total fail. Plus gaming controls could somehow implement a keyboard=triple push/T9?
I just rather struggle with typing something (txt/msn/email) than struggle to play a game, i dont know its just my preference.

There is no better chip. The OMAP3 ships in many different versions suiting many different applications. The reason you're talking of 720MHz CPUs is because TI fessed up to the fact that the chip they labeled 600MHz was actually much better than that. So it's the exact same chip, just with a different label.
ARM chips can run as fast as you can clock them without encountering errors. There's no heat constriction and if all the chips you've sent out are capable of running at 720MHz, but you labeled them 600MHz, you might want to relabel it.

Alec  said:
A better way would to make Batch 2 cheaper. Imagine having paid $330 and wait for one or two years, and then see people buying the Pandora a few months later for a lower price!

Uh, I seriously hope you realize this will happen over time right? The Pandora will in all likelihood be cheaper in 1 year than today. It happens with pretty all tech equipment out there. Over time the components will get cheaper as newer tech is developed pushing down the price of parts used in the Pandora.

So the price will most certainly drop over time.... it is the price for buying bleeding edge electronics. Folks that wait 6-12 months almost always get the same equipment for less. Of course that won't stop folks at this forum from bitching and complaining when that happens. Sigh.

zounder1 said:
Alec  said:

Uh, I seriously hope you realize this will happen over time right? The Pandora will in all likelihood be cheaper in 1 year than today. It happens with pretty all tech equipment out there. Over time the components will get cheaper as newer tech is developed pushing down the price of parts used in the Pandora.

So the price will most certainly drop over time.... it is the price for buying bleeding edge electronics. Folks that wait 6-12 months almost always get the same equipment for less. Of course that won't stop folks at this forum from bitching and complaining when that happens. Sigh.

Not true. Craig has already confirmed that the second batch will be MORE expensive due to exchange rates and the loss that they are taking on the first batch. (Of course, assembly was supposed to start a week ago, so this can easily change)

Um... with the ongoing raging war I'm happy to chime in. Anyone who thinks the price of a unit isn't going to drop over time is either ignorant, or prone to wishful thinking. Yes, the second batch will be more expensive. Consecutive batches wont necessarily be. Especially if the £ keeps falling. The parts them self get cheaper and cheaper. Assembly costs about as much since it gets faster, but the £ gets weaker. And, with any luck, OP buys the components, and pays for builds, and while we all wait for the fifth batch or whatever to be completed the £ drops another 5-10%. Funny. It's already paid so OP doesn't really care. That means the buyers get to buy at the same amount of £ as they would b4 the drop, but it's cheaper since £ is cheaper compared to there own currency. If your in Greece, better be in the current preorders...
B!

Ollonk said:
zounder1 said:
Alec  said:

Not true. Craig has already confirmed that the second batch will be MORE expensive due to exchange rates and the loss that they are taking on the first batch. (Of course, assembly was supposed to start a week ago, so this can easily change)

I clearly said the price will be less in a year and I stand by that statement.

As well, the price variation you are talking about is about currency fluctuation not material costs. To remove currency fluctuation from a product you either hedge the currency OR you sell the product in the currency that comprises most of the cost of the product. I would guess that the US$ is the currency used to purchase most of the components in the Pandora. Given that assumption, the price of the Pandora in US$ will decrease over time.

I even suspect that the price of the 2nd batch in US$ will be less than the cost of the first batch in US$.

what i meant was,

if (omap600->speed >720) {
pandora->cpu = "omap720";}
else{
pandora->cpu = "omap600";}

is it clear now? :D
the 720 mhz omap is the exact same chip as the 600mhz one, LIKE WITH ANY X86 CPU they just change 1 byte inside the cpu to unlock the multiplier and charge you $799 extra dollars. or change the value to a lower number (multiplier) and sell it for less

PS: sometimes C++ is clearer than human languajes....

laharl said:
what i meant was,

if (omap600->speed >720) {
pandora->cpu = "omap720";}
else{
pandora->cpu = "omap600";}

is it clear now? :D
the 720 mhz omap is the exact same chip as the 600mhz one, LIKE WITH ANY X86 CPU they just change 1 byte inside the cpu to unlock the multiplier and charge you $799 extra dollars. or change the value to a lower number (multiplier) and sell it for less

PS: sometimes C++ is clearer than human languajes....
You still don't seem to understand that there's literally nothing changed. They just shoved another label on it. The 600MHz OMAP3530 CPUs already in circulation are just as much 720MHz as the ones they're producing now. It's nothing but a label change.

Back