How did you find out about the Pyra/Pandora?

How did you find out about the Pyra/Pandora?

• Computer/Linux News Website

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Niche News Website

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some Blog/Reviewer that I follow Posted about it.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Somebody in an Forum mentioned/advetised it.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Computer/Linux Magazine

• Other(Mention in a Post)

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I directly (Pre)ordered when I found out that such an Device exists.(Pandora/Pyra)

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • It needed some Videos or Reviews to convince me.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • The Comment Section (under News,Vids, etc.) convinced me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mouth-to-Mouth Propaganda.

• Total voters

lukey

Rare Species
In order to find out what Advertising works for People who want an Open Source, Community Driven Handheld Computer I created this Pool.
How did you find to this Community? Lurkers are also welcome to participate.

Other:
1x word of mouth (sorry, can't delete Pool Entries)
2x stumbled upon it in the Internet.

Last edited:
No option for being told about it in person?
I first discovered the Pandora when someone who saw me carrying around my EeePC told me about it and showed me the web page. I joined the forum about a week later, and purchased a unit about a month after that.

-Neelix

Years ago I was searching the internet for a portable console, and discovered there where open devices around, so searching for info I found gp32x, and there I read some discussion about "the definitive console"... at the time the Pandora was almost ready to be sold... anyway I wasn't so sure that the type of payment was something to trust... so I waited for 2 years, looking at the situation and following all the progresses and faults from the official site, but I needed videos and discussions to be really sure that I had to buy it.

Now, I have no doubts about the Pyra.

Someone wrote on a blog about that Dingoo thing and when I looked for distributors in the EU I found the pandora preorders going on, dismissed it as too expensive, and bought the Dingoo.

Well the Maximum Number of Pool Points is limited.
Then I'd suggest removing "I directly (Pre)ordered when I found out that such an Device exists.(Pandora/Pyra)" As it doesn't contribute at all to the question of how one found out about the device.

-Neelix

Someone wrote on a blog about that Dingoo thing and when I looked for distributors in the EU I found the pandora preorders going on, dismissed it as too expensive, and bought the Dingoo.
Becoming Part of the Community is the first step to (Pre)ordering i guess.

Then I'd suggest removing "I directly (Pre)ordered when I found out that such an Device exists.(Pandora/Pyra)" As it doesn't contribute at all to the question of how one found out about the device.

Ah wait now i can somehow add more Points to the Pool.

Could you add A "word of mouth" option then? :) (I would under no circumstances ever describe how I found out about the Pandora as "Mouth to mouth propaganda")

-Neelix

When I first heard about xpPhone (I was 13 but still knew some things!), I knew I couldn't buy it and rushed to google for a good UMPC. I even started to see little computers in my pockets on my dreams. And when I found about Pandora, it was a dream came true... :)

Fun story:
The first time I came in contact with "advanced" computer usage was as I wanted to hack my DS and Wii.
While checking out a Nintendo homebrew board someone asked whether a Pandora is worth it for emulation.
I googled OpenPandora.
Saw it could run N64 and is a Mini PC (had never used Linux) and asked my Dad to preorder one.

I didn't know about the Pandora mess and was one of the few lucky persons who got a 440€ Craig Premium delivered within 2 Weeks :D

The first time I saw something about the pandora was a video at Youtube which I found by sheere luck.
At this time the pandora was still in development.
Sadly I lost track of it during the 2 month™ of development.

Now I want to use the chance to get a pyra.

Thing is I don't remember in which format I got informed about it. I was seeking out a smartphone meant to run linux. Then somehow I found the Pyra, and lost interest in the typical smartphone formfactor.
I guess, I prefer a desktop linux over one which relies on some specific middleware. And yes, that also means I'll try to move from debian to void or funtoo or something.
And then there's a keyboard.

So:

-Neelix
Since, I can't remember where or how I learned about the Pyra, this represents the best answer I can give. Well, for I had to wait for the preorders to be available, I didn't preorder directly, did I. But still.

i first saw a picture of the pandora in a linux newsletter and thought "that's the ugliest notebook ever", not realizing what it was. a few days later, my dad handed me a magazine and said "check out that weird thing. it's a nintendo with a keyboard!" (not the pandora's fault, he even calls my ps vita "nintendo", sigh). we ordered one on the same day :)

Pretty sure I accidentally stumbled across it when looking at DCEmu PSP News. Always had interest in a GP32X but had no credit card / money to buy one so it was already fitting!

I was looking for a Caanoo/Wiz and everybody at forum.gp2x.de was talking about the OpenPandora, especcially ED. ;) I've left this board a long time ago due to a terrible athmosphere though.
They weren't really available yet but I got a used one later and upgraded it along the road.

Last edited:
I knew someone that had a GP2X. He thought I would be interested so he showed it to me and told me about it. I wasn't interested but liked the idea so I looked into it a bit myself. A year or two later I was looking for either a Linux palmtop or gaming hardware, stumbled in somewhere related to the GP32/2x where the Pandora was mentioned. I am pretty sure this was before the preorders. I checked in from time to time over the next year or so, but wasn't willing to risk my money on vaporware. I forgot about it for a while and when I was once again looking for a Linux palmtop I found it again. By this time there were all three versions, so I read a bunch about it, and tried to find out how the keyboard was. This was when the Pyra was being planned, and that was something I wanted to happen, so I ordered a Pandora from ED to give him a little money.

The keyboard on the Pandora is ok, but not good, so I tried to be vocal about making sure the Pyra has a good keyboard (amongst other stuff).

I was a fan of the old gameboy games (Super Mario Land, Tetris)..
But my Old Gameboy Classic needet too much batteries, also my Gameboy Micro ditnt read GB Games..
So i was in search for a Device to play Gameboy Games..
Then i saw EvilDragon and his GP2X in the German Videogame Broadcast "Giga Games"..
And i wantet such a thing..
I wrote then about the upcomming Pandora from the same Guy.. i preeordered for second batch..
And because it was a bit expensive only to play gameboygames, i gattered some more games in the time until i got the thing some yeahrs forward..
Some Playstationgames, DS, Super Nintendo, GBA.., .. and so one..

I became a known Member of the German Gp2X /Pandora Board, and whit the english boards, i got the changse to train my english a lot..
And i learned a lot about Linux because the Pandora..

And because im happy whit my Pandora, i decidet to became a PreePreeorderer of a 4G4GBEU Pyra..

Wanted a new gaming handheld and I remembered the gamepark handheld, I forget its name- anyhow I read that it had bad screen tearing probably over at gp32x.com, of course this then led me to the Pandora.

for me too it all started with the mighty gp2x.
i spotted it on engadget, joined gp2x.de, ordered a second batch unit.
really loved the chupa chups candy that came with it. helped a lot for calming me down while unboxing this beauty! thanks ed!!! :)
at this time, i played mainly the dr. reesy's mega drive emu, that was really fun! i still have my gp2x in mint condition and i'm verry proud of it.

then the pandora project was next, i lacked the funds at that time, maybe this was a good thing, so i avoided the craig fiasco and
ordered a 1ghz rebirth 2012 at ed's shop.
as i love this community and really trust ed for doing things in a nice, positive and friendly way the best he can, i had to preorder the pyra too, of course!
so here is hope that the case will be waay better then the pandora one, no display bulge, cracks, ugly silver off wearing paint, better hall nubs,
improved keyboard, no slow wlan etc... ;)
but even when it melts after 5 minutes and i survive it, i will stay here in this community. it's about fun, news and people, not machines only! :)

Back