How do you store your old gadgets/consoles?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
I've been a huge retro collector for a long long time and have a huge pile of classic stuff; Recently I've given away and sold off quite a bit of stuff but I still have a remarkable pile of awesome old gear. (Arcade stuff is especially space consuming, but old computers like Atari 8bit machines, vectrex, Atari ST and monitors, classic laptops and rarities.. it adds up pretty big. When you're storing old computers, it suddenly means floppy drives, monitors, cables, disks etc .. and sometimes more than one of each .. big space.)

For big stuff I've typically let is sit in boxes in a closet except when out fiddling with it.

For handhelds (PDAs, tablets, phones, etc) .. a stockpile of GP32s (FLU, BLU), gp2x's (various models), etc etc.. I've used a 'back of the closet shoe organizer'; its a 4x5 grid of pockets that you just hang on the back of a closet door, and stick stuff into; its brilliant for generating useful organized space in an otherwise useless invisible area.

Sadly, I nolonger have the two doors I've used the last couple years.

Do you just stick your mobiles (old phones, pda's, tablets) and consoles/computers into boxes and stack them up, or anyone have clever ideas?

I've got some deep shelving (2' deep) now, so could just stuff things away in there, never to be seen again; adding slide-out trays is not in the cards (way too lazy/cheap for that :)

hmm.

jeff

My current stuff, vita, xbox 360 dreamcast, ps3, laptop, pandora I still use all the time.

My other stuff is scattered all around. Some at my parents place and such.

I dont have a big collection, 2 saturns, an old psx, n64, broken megadrive, gameboy sp, cables, light guns, steering wheels and such. Some in boxes some in a pile or hanging out of cupboards etc. Oh and 2 xboxes knocking around, one works, the other dunno. ah and a ps2 with 2 games.

My old a500 I look after, too many good memories. She needs to get fixed up now though.

I sold my gamecube, other ps2 and xbox last generation as i needed cash at the time.

I had 50 xbox games and 35 ps2 games and maybe ten cube games, oh well.

This time around I have been building my xbox 360 collection, of which there is about 30 games in total.

Im disaorganised i guess, so no good storage tips from me.

When or if I own my own place, a dedicated games area with shelfing and all is on the cards though.

A bit of my old systems (Atari, NES, SNES,Genesis...etc) I've stored since getting the Pandora..

I have large shelving and the console, cartridges and accessories in bins like this:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Wing-Lid-Tote-Letter-Large/product_365597

My old computers like my Tandy Color Computer, C64, Macintosh plus, misc early PC era ones I just have them directly on the shelving. I have a lot of metal and plastic shelving in my basement.

I have a 3x3 foot stacked up to the ceiling of PCs desktops and towers ranging from 386 to Pentium III era in the corner of my basement.. I really need to throw those out.

Last edited by a moderator:
My old consoles I keep in their boxes, in 2 large cupboards, along with their games and also old comics and magazines from yesteryear.

My current played systems [though some of these not too often if I'm honest] are in some TV/Media-console-unit-furniture-thing which my telly sits on. It has 2 door compartments on the ends each has 2 shelves, and the middle section of the unit has an open shelf and a deep drawer beneath it.

The drawer has all the games for PS3, Wii, Wii U. The compartments have my Wii, Wii U, original Xbox, a PC which use only for emu gaming, and the PS3.

All my old handhelds, Gameboys, Neo Geo Pocket, Gamegadget, Blaze Megadrive thing and other handhelds are all in a deep drawer. Part of a 4 drawer unit, the other drawers in that are all gadget type stuff or bits 'n' bobs like a random old chargers for which some I've no idea what device they fit even, old hard drives, loose bits of RAM, wifi dongles, other little cheapo MP4 players and things like my old Archos AV400.

Got one other unit too, which has my stuff I access pretty regularly, like external HDD and USB memory, a box of memory cards, my tablets, my past few phones including the Xperia Play. my iCP controller, my GCW Zero, more frequently used cables like USB mini/micro, HDMI, ethernet, so I know where I can grab one when need it.

Edit: Just had to put a HDD back into that unit and just remembered it also houses my Kaossilator and camera too

I have a 3x3 foot stacked up to the ceiling of PCs desktops and towers ranging from 386 to Pentium III era in the corner of my basement.. I really need to throw those out.
Tell me about it! Had a clear out of my old PC stuff a few months ago, old monitors, Motherboards, Drives, Cases, the works. Made the mistake of trying to tot up what it would have cost back in the day :)

Couldn't get rid of the Voodoo 2 card though. Might stick that in a nice frame and put it on a wall.

Tend to keep my old stuff in the back of drawers, with the vague intention of playing with it some time in the future.

Airtight plastic storage containers, silica gel packets and acres of bubblewrap. Any batteries stored separately, individually wrapped if not disassembled and wrapped. Games tapes/cartridges unusual cables, accessories and discs in individual zip-lock bags, all in storage boxes. Then there's a mountain of stuff in heavy duty cardboard boxes, with everything that's inside written on a label facing out. One or two things too big to box, shrouded in bin liners.

When I get a proper home I'll build a bar tall enough to house each console and the front panel has to be glass.

I try to keep all the original boxes stuff comes in, so the things I don't use anymore, the the PS Vita and other useless gadgets and consoles, are just stored in their box, in a closet

Airtight plastic storage containers, silica gel packets and acres of bubblewrap. Any batteries stored separately, individually wrapped if not disassembled and wrapped. Games tapes/cartridges unusual cables, accessories and discs in individual zip-lock bags, all in storage boxes. Then there's a mountain of stuff in heavy duty cardboard boxes, with everything that's inside written on a label facing out. One or two things too big to box, shrouded in bin liners.
Badass.jpg

I'm not as careful as most of you.

The original boxes are long lost and the games/consoles are piled in plastic boxes with the controllers and the cables…

Back