How Does Mame Work On The Gp2x?

Gearhead8287

Still Fresh
I live in North America, I have MAME32 on my laptop and it works great. I have allot of arcade classics emulated like "Final Fight" "Captain Commando" etc.

Before I spend $200 , I would like to know how MAME works on GP2X.

Can I simply hook up a USB and transfer all my ROM files into a ROM dump from my laptop to GP2X ??

Also does MAME GP2X have emulation options like Scanlines etc?

Is the GP2X worth getting for MAME?

Thanks, Gearhead

Yes it is very good, you don't just have to use MAME, for example there are emulators for CPS and NeoGeo arcade too.

craigix said:
Yes it is very good, you don't just have to use MAME, for example there are emulators for CPS and NeoGeo arcade too.
Yeah I know that you can use allot of different emulators, MAME is my only interest right now, then I will play others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gearhead8287 said:
craigix said:
Yeah I know that you can use allot of different emulators, MAME is my only interest right now, then I will play others.

The point being made was that there are a few emulators that emulate individual arcade setups, instead of just general arcade stuff. So if you have any CPS2 games, there is a far better dedicated emulator than MAME for that(I'm not even sure if MAME supports them...), same with NeoGeo games.

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/MAME_GP2X Here's the wiki page for MAME. It's relatively out of date for some stuff, but you'll get the rough idea of compatibility and performance and the like.

Gearhead8287 said:
I live in North America, I have MAME32 on my laptop and it works great. I have allot of arcade classics emulated like "Final Fight" "Captain Commando" etc.

Can I simply hook up a USB and transfer all my ROM files into a ROM dump from my laptop to GP2X ??

Thanks, Gearhead
Yes MAME works but it works best for the older games.

Final Fight works but it is a bit slow and the sound it a bit crackly. It would work alot better if someone ported the CPS1 emu but no one has.

Don't expect it to run Afterburner and Rige Racer. It uses the .34 ROMset right now.

There is no "scanline" option because you don't need it on the GP2X. Unlike the PC the screen is basically 1:1 pixel mapping for many arcade games so scanlines or filtering is not needed.

I say it is worth it for MAME, it is the best handheld version.

So games like Final Fight, The Punisher, Alien Vs Predator by Capcom, generally dont work well?

DaveC said:
Gearhead8287 said:

Thanks, Gearhead
Yes MAME works but it works best for the older games.

Final Fight works but it is a bit slow and the sound it a bit crackly. It would work alot better if someone ported the CPS1 emu but no one has.

Don't expect it to run Afterburner and Rige Racer. It uses the .34 ROMset right now.

There is no "scanline" option because you don't need it on the GP2X. Unlike the PC the screen is basically 1:1 pixel mapping for many arcade games so scanlines or filtering is not needed.

I say it is worth it for MAME, it is the best handheld version.

Thanks and I wouldnt expect Ridge Racer or any 3d game to really work on GPX, Im mostly interested in old arcade beat em ups and 2d coin op classics.

Gearhead8287 said:
So games like Final Fight, The Punisher, Alien Vs Predator by Capcom, generally dont work well?

Thanks and I wouldnt expect Ridge Racer or any 3d game to really work on GPX, Im mostly interested in old arcade beat em ups and 2d coin op classics.

Alien vs Predator is excellent with CPS2 emulator, and if Final Fight and the Punisher are NeoGeo games, they will work great in GnGeo

MAME can't do better than a (good) dedicated emulator, but it sure can emulate tons of arcade games ;)

I haven't tested it on other handelds, but it is very good on the GP2X : fast with most games that are not too demanding (as said, there is dedicated emu that run great for CPS2 and NeoGeo), enough options, you can even rotate the screen to play shmups ;)

Gearhead8287 said:

Thanks, Gearhead

Even if there were no other emulators for the gp2x and it only played mame in its current form, US$200 would be so worth it.

MAME for the GP2X is an excellent piece of software indeed, but it doesn't come without it's quirks. FOr instance, be aware that you will need an older ROM set, namely .34 or .35 in order for most games to work. Conversion software doesn't seem to do the trick for many games, and Namco games are especially finicky. Also, MAME itself for the GP2X seems to be on hold, at least it has been for almost a half year. So, it is possible that it may not be updated any longer.

I also have some problems with MAME that may just be me...for insatance, I loaded samples for all games, but still, some games like Yi Ar Kung Fu, Astro Blaster and Punch Out do not play Samples. Again, that could just be me.

As long as you're prepared for a few weirdnesses like the above mentioned, MAME is pretty awesome on the GP2X.

for final fight the current best solution is to play the sega cd version emulated on the awsome picodrive. captain commando works fine and final fight would be ok if not for a bug not letting you continue.

alien vs predator works excellent on the cps2 emulator.

neo geo games work best on the dedicated neo geo emulator with the only exception being overtop which doesnt seem to run on that emulator but does run fairly well on the mamegp2x emulator.

mame gp2x runs tons of great classics really well though such as: robotron, defender, phoenix, asteroids, berzerk, galaga, tmnt, zektor, bosconian, centipede, and a bunch of others.

Unless something's changed, MAME2X only works with the 0.34 romset. You can try to use clrmame to convert 0.36 romsets to 0.34 but I was never able to get it to work. I'm sure there are places you can get the full set of older roms but I haven't been able to find it and it's not appropriate to ask on this board.

Good luck. And if you can convert them using clrmame, send me a PM because it's been driving me batty.

xalres said:
Unless something's changed, MAME2X only works with the 0.34 romset. You can try to use clrmame to convert 0.36 romsets to 0.34 but I was never able to get it to work. I'm sure there are places you can get the full set of older roms but I haven't been able to find it and it's not appropriate to ask on this board.

Good luck. And if you can convert them using clrmame, send me a PM because it's been driving me batty.
I have the same problem. I searched everywhere for 0.34 and 0.35 roms, but without success. I found a Mame4all Dreamcast romset which is supposed to have the right version, but all I got was a huge .cdi file, which didn't really help (or can I actually use that for something? No idea.).
But anyway. I'm a GP2X noob and with a little patience I can probably figure it out by myself. *gg*

There is an evil website whose name contains 'gp2x' and 'torrent', feel free to search, but beware big brother :ph34r:

reiboul said:
There is an evil website whose name contains 'gp2x' and 'torrent', feel free to search, but beware big brother :ph34r:
Yes, and someone (not me :D) share all mame romset whick workd in GP2X :ph34r: B)

MisterBrisby said:
I have the same problem. I searched everywhere for 0.34 and 0.35 roms, but without success. I found a Mame4all Dreamcast romset which is supposed to have the right version, but all I got was a huge .cdi file, which didn't really help (or can I actually use that for something? No idea.).
But anyway. I'm a GP2X noob and with a little patience I can probably figure it out by myself. *gg*

Hmm... CDI. I wonder what that might stand for.

MisterBrisby said:
xalres said:

yes i can confirm MAME4ALL dreamcast is mame version 0.34
what you wana do with the MAME4ALL dreamcast cdi file is open it with isobuster pro 1.7 !!!
then you can extract all the 1024 roms :) to my delight all work that ive tried !!!

i will display a picture of the isobuster and roms ...
mame4allhz8.jpg

anton8232 said:
MisterBrisby said:
xalres said:

yes i can confirm MAME4ALL dreamcast is mame version 0.34
what you wana do with the MAME4ALL dreamcast cdi file is open it with isobuster pro 1.7 !!!
then you can extract all the 1024 roms :) to my delight all work that ive tried !!!

i will display a picture of the isobuster and roms ...

Thank you very much, that was exactly the thing I was hoping for. :)

Back