How Is The Caanoo Analogue Stick?

mortalporcupine

Still Fresh
Hi all, just wondering what the Caanoo analogue stick is like as I was thinking about getting one so I can play Neo Geo. Also, whilst im posting how is the Neo Geo emulation and the Amiga emulation?

Thanks everyone

The Caanoo stick is actually really good, even for digital control. It feels pretty good under the thumb and seems nice and solid. It's surprisingly nimble too.

I've not used Neo Geo or Amiga emus on the Caanoo so I'll leave someomne else to answer that one.

iprice said:
The Caanoo stick is actually really good, even for digital control. It feels pretty good under the thumb and seems nice and solid. It's surprisingly nimble too.

I've not used Neo Geo or Amiga emus on the Caanoo so I'll leave someomne else to answer that one.

Thanks for the info. I was looking around for a Caanoo but its like a graveyard as far as the caanoo is concerned.

Do you know where I can pick up a black Caanoo? Im in the UK

I don't know. eBay is probably your best bet, but they don't come up often and they often don't come cheap.

FYI I I'm in the UK and have a white one.

iprice said:
I don't know. eBay is probably your best bet, but they don't come up often and they often don't come cheap.

FYI I I'm in the UK and have a white one.

You were right, found one on ebay. I got a black one! £105 on a best offer +£6.99 postage. I think thats a good price to say I havent seen one around in a few years lol
So you are in the UK like me. Do you have a wifi dongle for it? Im guessing some of these emulators may allow 2 player online play? Im not bothered if it doesnt but I just thought it may do because you can buy a wifi dongle for it.

I do have a wi-fi dongle for my Caanoo, but I've only actually used it once (to browse the net to see if it worked). It was going cheap <£10 IIRC.

iprice said:
I do have a wi-fi dongle for my Caanoo, but I've only actually used it once (to browse the net to see if it worked). It was going cheap <£10 IIRC.
Probably wont bother with a wifi dongle. I cant see it being very good for browsing the internet

mortalporcupine said:
Hi all, just wondering what the Caanoo analogue stick is like as I was thinking about getting one so I can play Neo Geo. Also, whilst im posting how is the Neo Geo emulation and the Amiga emulation?

Thanks everyone
Neo Geo emulation is surprisingly good with GNGeo or if you prefer the CD version, there's NeoCD2x which is a lot easier to set up.
Amiga emulation is a lot weaker, but most of the (A500) games are still playable, if you set frameskip to 1.

I guess you're asking about NeoGeo emulation because you like Beat'em Ups. I don't play these kind of games a lot, but I guess it might be a bit tricky to hit quarter circle moves with the analogue stick. All in all the stick is fine.

Akabei said:

Thanks everyone
Neo Geo emulation is surprisingly good with GNGeo or if you prefer the CD version, there's NeoCD2x which is a lot easier to set up.
Amiga emulation is a lot weaker, but most of the (A500) games are still playable, if you set frameskip to 1.

I guess you're asking about NeoGeo emulation because you like Beat'em Ups. I don't play these kind of games a lot, but I guess it might be a bit tricky to hit quarter circle moves with the analogue stick. All in all the stick is fine.
Does the stick click per 8 way direction? I dont think there will be a problem if it does. If its a non click joystick then yeh it could well be an issue. I would like to play some Old King Of Fighters games but its no big deal if it doesnt work because im quite happy to play some amiga 500, snes, megadive etc

The stick is analog, no click per direction.

I find the caanoo´s stick a bit fragile so I try to take a lot of care with it.
I own one for what 2 years or more maybe? It is a bit weared off but works fine, no big problems so far and I use the machine regularly.

I´m a kof98 addict, and while it plays fine on caanoo, nothing beats a real arcade stick or keyboard for that kind of game in my book.

If you are getting a new caanoo, see if you can get a protective screen/layer so you don´t scratch it with the stylus. Here I bought a laptop one and cut it of myself.

erico said:
The stick is analog, no click per direction.

I find the caanoo´s stick a bit fragile so I try to take a lot of care with it.
I own one for what 2 years or more maybe? It is a bit weared off but works fine, no big problems so far and I use the machine regularly.

I´m a kof98 addict, and while it plays fine on caanoo, nothing beats a real arcade stick or keyboard for that kind of game in my book.

If you are getting a new caanoo, see if you can get a protective screen/layer so you don´t scratch it with the stylus. Here I bought a laptop one and cut it of myself.

It arrived today. Tried out some Neo Geo. The stick is ok but its not great for KOF. Its difficult to put together combos with it. I find that the stick sometimes misses a command unless its absolute with the direction you are pressing.

Keyboard on KOF98? Are you mad?!  :D
Arcade stick yes, keyboard no.

Oh, and I doubt I will even use the stylus. Thanks for the advice though

Maybe you should think twice. ScummVM is working excellent on the Caanoo e.g. the old Lucasarts adventures like Monkey Island work a lot better than via the Amiga emulator and the later ones like The Dig look brilliant on the small display. Of course you can move the mouse pointer with the stick as well, but it's really nice to use the stylus for point & click adventures.

Akabei said:

Maybe you should think twice. ScummVM is working excellent on the Caanoo e.g. the old Lucasarts adventures like Monkey Island work a lot better than via the Amiga emulator and the later ones like The Dig look brilliant on the small display. Of course you can move the mouse pointer with the stick as well, but it's really nice to use the stylus for point & click adventures.

Not really into point and click adventures

I see, but you may also find it useful for some puzzlers. While I´m not quite a fan of that game style, there are some absolutely wonderful pieces for the caanoo.
I also use the stylus to draw in gfx2 and music in Madtracker...which goes great with in built mic to record samples as instruments on the go.

erico said:
I see, but you may also find it useful for some puzzlers. While I´m not quite a fan of that game style, there are some absolutely wonderful pieces for the caanoo.
I also use the stylus to draw in gfx2 and music in Madtracker...which goes great with in built mic to record samples as instruments on the go.

That sounds pretty cool \i will have to check it out. Gota say though im loving the Caanoo at the moment. 
I watched a video on some mame games and Turtles in time was mentioned. So I load it up and start playing and im thinking to myself...... "I dont get why people like it. Its just button mashing".
9 levels later and I find myself still playing it hahaha  :D

Back