Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Yes, I use my phone for gaming but I still prefer consoles

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

klikklak

Oh neat, it's a ... field.
Website
Visit site
There's discussion on slashdot: Gamers are abandoning DS, PSP in favor of Smartphones

I've done the same thing, mostly. My Wiz broke down and having had a smartphone for a few years, it was a no-brainer to renew the contract when it ended and get a N8. The no-brainer part is that convergence always wins. For me the key selling point is proper audio mixers and bluetooth headphones. The actual feature that wins people over obviously varies. However since my pet peeve is so small and I quite like the idea of unhackable (except for memory card viruses I suppose) device is nice, I'm still considering a Caanoo with a bluetooth transmitter (and multipoint headset), but that'd increase the already salty price by an another 100€.

Did you make the switch? Are you going to? Do you think there are other forces then convergence that matter?

I just absolutely love the App store and my iPhone4/iPad combination these days. Its incredibly fun to just get a few new games, try them out, almost every single day.

I had high hopes that the Pandora scene would be like this too, but we all know the story: no hardware, no hacking.

I really like the app store, too. there are some nice games, it's super easy to get new games.

but i still like playing on a handheld more than on my iphone3 (not even 3gs), because i'm missing the controls. i'm really looking forward to the icontrolpad here, then i'll probably scrap my handhelds (DS Lite, Wiz atm).

i'm still thinking of ordering a pandora, but then, i don't know if i've got the nerves for it. i'm a windows user since ever, i know linux _a tiny_ bit, and in the end i just want to power something on, play a little bit and then turn it off again. also, i'm more into "unique" games, not into emulation that much. i'm through my favourite snes and megadrive games on the snes already :)

crow_riot said:
I really like the app store, too. there are some nice games, it's super easy to get new games. but i still like playing on a handheld more than on my iphone3 (not even 3gs),

i'm still thinking of ordering a pandora, but then, i don't know if i've got the nerves for it. i'm a windows user since ever,

iPhone doesn't use Windows either

Anyway I personally wouldn't want a phone as a games console. Even if it had all the right gaming controls I wouldn't want to be running my battery down when I need to take or make an important call. Plus my last three phones have been dual-SIM and I doubt any gaming phone in the near future is going to implement that particular feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
crow_riot said:
I really like the app store, too. there are some nice games, it's super easy to get new games. but i still like playing on a handheld more than on my iphone3 (not even 3gs),

i'm still thinking of ordering a pandora, but then, i don't know if i've got the nerves for it. i'm a windows user since ever,

^this :p
There is nothing magically special about Linux (provided it has been properly designed) that makes it any more difficult to use than iOS or Android, or the Sony interface or the Wii interface or the XBox interface or whatever, as opposed to Windows. Yes, it's a little different, but so are all these other things and no one has any problems.
My favourite example that I tout out every time someone says how they don't know if they'll be able to "figure out" Linux because they are a Windows user: Tivo runs Linux. My grandmother knows how to use Tivo, my grandmother can use Linux (technically), and so can you! :D

I'm sticking with my handheld consoles, even though they have terrible battery lives: (Except for the DS)
Game Gear (Micro Machines isn't the same on a smartphone or even a DS. I'm getting some new AA NiMH batteries for it soon. I'll have to live with an hour of battery life with my current worn-out batteries and my AC adapter.)
Gameboy Pocket (I just love that dot-matrix screen and pocket size! I have a couple sets of rechargeable batteries.)
Gameboy Advance (how else do I play my Gameboy Colour games and play with friends?)
DS Lite (sticking with this one mainly because of it's versatility, emulators, music playback and misc. homebrew.)

I'm also sticking with my old Motorola cellphone with a broken screen. Why replace it when it still kind of works? :p

Of course, if I receive a smartphone or iPod touch as a gift, I'll use it along with my other devices, but I'm running out of pockets! I'm afraid I might sit on something by accident.

WizardStan said:
There is nothing magically special about Linux (provided it has been properly designed) that makes it any more difficult to use than iOS or Android, or the Sony interface or the Wii interface or the XBox interface or whatever, as opposed to Windows. Yes, it's a little different, but so are all these other things and no one has any problems.
My favourite example that I tout out every time someone says how they don't know if they'll be able to "figure out" Linux because they are a Windows user: Tivo runs Linux. My grandmother knows how to use Tivo, my grandmother can use Linux (technically), and so can you! :D
I'm MUCH happier after switching to Linux from Windows. Linux isn't all that hard to use. I also find it a bit easier to use and manage in some ways. I just booted into XP on my laptop because my SD card reader wasn't working in Linux, and explorer and internet explorer crashed about five times, though that was probably because I need to run a chdsk and update internet explorer. Actually, Windows 7 is great)
The only thing I'm missing is compatibility with Windows software like Fruity Loops Studio and Famitracker. I love playing Genesis and Gameboy soundtrack in Deadbeef and I have Rosegarden, so that makes up for it, I guess, though the sound in Rosegarden is a little garbled. I'll probably just connect my laptop to my midi keyboard. That should do it; let the keyboard play all of the sounds.
I'd love to get a Linux handheld... DSLinux doesn't have a GUI and computer emulators like minivmacds and dsx86 don't really work that well (minivmacds doesn't recognize my RAM expansion, and my tactile screen isn't accurate enough for dsx86's keyboard).
No one else in my household knows how to operate the Wii... I think there is something wrong with them.

most users are just idiots, they say they don't like windows vista because they heard an IT guy say it at one point in their past, or it's just different. Once they hear an IT guy say "i like windows 7" they all of a sudden like it as well, that or they just got used to windows vista and seen 7 being not that different from what they familiar with. People say "i don't like linux" because it has the stigma of just being complicated. But it's like you said, some distros of linux are extremely easy to manipulate for most people. Most of the people I talk to wouldn't even know the difference between a nicely skinned linux over a legitimate copy of windows for just about everything they do. Most people I deal with just browse the net, chat, or type documents or spreadsheet work. For them, they have no room to even care about the OS they're using, because for that crap it honestly doesn't even matter.

This is why I think chrome OS might just take over the world. (if capable of running android apps)

I have an authentic reason for not moving to or even remotely liking linux. I'm a serious windows ninja, I can literally fix damn near any windows problem you trow at me... I better, it's my job. However I get frustrated very easy, and when I go looking into an area or menu where I think something *should* be and it's not, I get angry really quick. (punching monitors, punching users) I gave up on the GUI of windows about 3 versions ago and just pop open a command line or start>run %variables% or pluggins.msc or regedit fix just about anything I do nowadays. I don't like the feeling of going from ninja to noob... that's not my thing, thats why I stick with windows.

Smartphone OSs, I love android because it's going to be the most popular os in the universe someday, even more than windows, it may not have the history of windows behind it, but someday more people will be eventually using it. Those that can't afford a computer will be able to get a cheap smartphone/tablet that can do basically the same thing a computer can do, but for half the price because there is no licensing involved in having to be a certified windows device or have a legitimate copy of a closed software.

The popularity has exploded recently because it's the latest fad, but it's long term effect of free as in lunch os, and open development means cheap production, wide distribution, and wide acceptance. It has done, what I belive linux cannot do, or at least has not done previously, be people friendly and socially acceptable. It has google backing it and eveyone knows what google is. And just like you said, my grandma knows how to use google.

If chrome OS kicks off the way I think it will and you can take any app from your desktop and move it to your smartphone seamlessly, picking up exactly the same spot you left off, then it's done for the competition.

Yes, and humans are beginning to stop eating food, and are living solely off of shots of Tequila.

There just aren't the full bodied games on Smartphones that you can get on the DS and PSP, partly because the audience is wrong, partly because of the controls and partly because you can't possibly price anything over £5 and expect it to sell. This leaves you with a few ports of DS games, and a mountain of crap for people with the attention spans of grapes.

Added to that, battery life is often crappy once you start using anything that needs a reasonable amount of power; I'd be constantly worried about running out of power for vital phone functions such as calls, so wouldn't really want to use my phone for gaming.

You should add a "Yes, I use my phone for gaming but I still prefer consoles" option. That's what I'd vote for.

Off-Topic
crow riot, please say you'll get a Caanoo and port Audio Race to take advantage of the g-sensor before you bail on handhelds???

Ive recently took out a contract with a HTC 7 Trophy with the windows phone operating system with xbox live integration, its a great device, games are great on it if a bit expensive but some of the higher profile titles have acheivments that when you unlock them, they add to your gamerscore, plus you can send messages to your friends on live, see whos on, what theyre playing etc. as to answer the title of the topic ive had smart phones since the 6600 years ago, only this year ive had an N86, Tocco ultra (horrible non smart phone replacement) and an X6. i think ill keep the htc for a while tho.

WizardStan said:
Pleng said:
crow_riot said:

oh well, what i just wanted to point out was, that i'm familiar with easiness of the iphone, the appstore and what not. and from my point of view, the pandora's current firmware is a little messy, the pnd system is IMO not very mature (i know i get bashed for that ;))

it has nothing to do if i CAN figure it out, because i KNOW that i'm capable off. i'm not stupid. it's probably my arrogant point of view, but i want something that is easy and just works out of the box. and on the pandora again, it seems, that there still needs to be done a lot.

crow_riot said:
oh well, what i just wanted to point out was, that i'm familiar with easiness of the iphone, the appstore and what not. and from my point of view, the pandora's current firmware is a little messy, the pnd system is IMO not very mature (i know i get bashed for that ;) )
Why not? What would make it more mature?
And why are you afraid of getting bashed for saying so? People don't get bashed for their opinions, they get re-informed (sometimes very vocally, unfortunately, but I try my best to keep level tones) for giving opinions based on false information. Would you rather go on believing something that wasn't true? :p

crow_riot said:
the pnd system is IMO not very mature (i know i get bashed for that ;) )

Yes you will, young man!

There are many things you could say are wanting for the Pandora but the PND system really isn't one of them. Copy to your SD card and... oh... thats it. The app is ready to run.

I feel old when saying this but I want my phone to only be a phone, my music player to only be a music player, and my game machine to only be a game machine. Well, I pre-ordered the Pandora and it will replace a lot if not all of what my notebook does and I use it for games, communication, and music, but still I don't want to get a smartphone. I've used them but I don't really like any interface I've seen so far, don't like touchscreen games, and don't like how much they cost or the cost of the data plans. When driving around with my notebook I see open wifi everywhere and have used other peoples internet while on the go so I just don't see the point of a data plan, open wifi is free. This is one factor and the other one is dependence on one device, what if it breaks or gets stolen? My cheapie cell phone I have right now I've dropped, kicked, thrown, and everything else and I can still call an emergency number if I need to. Is there any smartphone like this?

Anyway gaming is one reason I haven't bought a smart phone but there are a few other reasons also. I'll probably get one eventually, I've though a lot about getting one when HDMI out at 1080p is common so I can use it as a player at someones house but that is about it for me as far as features that would put it over the top. Now there are 3 chips(?) on the market that are capable of that but have yet to be put in phones but it won't take long now. . .

Pleng said:
crow_riot said:
the pnd system is IMO not very mature (i know i get bashed for that ;) )

Yes you will, young man!

There are many things you could say are wanting for the Pandora but the PND system really isn't one of them. Copy to your SD card and... oh... thats it. The app is ready to run.

well then ... that's easy, right :)

i just get my opinion from what i've read here in the forum, not by actually using it. so this could just be mis-interpretation on my side :)

didn't want to get too much off-topic. i still like handhelds more than smartphones to play :p

crow_riot said:
i still like handhelds more than smartphones to play :p

Me too. I have an Android smartphone but don't like to play on it with virtual on screen controls.

Goity said:
Yes, and humans are beginning to stop eating food, and are living solely off of shots of Tequila.

There just aren't the full bodied games on Smartphones that you can get on the DS and PSP, partly because the audience is wrong, partly because of the controls and partly because you can't possibly price anything over £5 and expect it to sell. This leaves you with a few ports of DS games, and a mountain of crap for people with the attention spans of grapes.

Added to that, battery life is often crappy once you start using anything that needs a reasonable amount of power; I'd be constantly worried about running out of power for vital phone functions such as calls, so wouldn't really want to use my phone for gaming.

Well, people did mostly stop carrying standalone cameras. And fullbodied is relative, atari 2600 games were fullbodied in their time. And frankly Galaxy on Fire and Need for Speed Shift on the n8 are fullbodied enough for me. As for the battery life, yes, that is a consideration, your options would be to carry a regular phone in addition, or get a device that has been optimised for battery life, like a symbian device. Frankly, despite tinkering and playing a bit every now and then the n8 gets through the day and in to the night. Which is enough for me. The fact that a device is always on and getting to a game is a matter of seconds and that it's already connected to my headphones matters to me. Sure it could be done on a pda/pandora, but managing multiple devices is a bit of a hassle. Well, I suppose I should say that I'm still considering a nanonote and a Caanoo, IF I get the audio 'problem' sorted.

EDIT: I added the proposed option to the poll.
Also, I've played just Heroes of Sparta -action game with touch screen controls, and yes, it's sub par. I'm still waiting for my Zeemote joystick, which is meant for mobile gaming and is basically a one-handed joystick. The games I mentioned work with accelometers and frankly are quite a bit of fun. It's a novelty to me at this point, since I haven't used accelometers in anything before this. Now if the emulation scene on Symbian devices would gather a bit of steam, I'd be happy.

Huh klikklak, you brought up a good point with cameras. When you go to a high tourist area you see lots of cameras as tourists are only there once in there life and want a better picture to remember moments by. When they are local people they have cell phones to take pictures, like of their fiends, because these pictures aren't meant to last forever. I guess the same thing could be said for games, when one wants to play a game they'll probably use a device meant more for games to get the full gaming experience. When they're just bored and just want something to do for a few seconds they'll whip out their cell phone.

A good picture can not be taken by a cell phone, not one that you'll want to look at in 20 or more years to remember a time in your life. Games might be the same way, most people just don't get as much of a gaming experience from a phone as they do dedicated game device.

Cell phones will improve on their cameras as I'm sure as they will their games. Right now I don't see any games I could really get into on phones, they are mostly just time wasters that are to hold one's interest for a small while. When an amazing RPG or another game that has an amazing story line comes out I'll think differently.

Yeah, Angry Birds and Slice It are pretty fun (and free!) but they're no replacement for real controls. If that PSPhone turns out to have really sweet battery life and it's open enough to get some good emulators, I'll probably sell all my other gadgets in a heartbeat, but right now, we're mostly stuck with touchscreens and sh!tty batteries for our smartphones; great for Internet, GPS etc. but not much good for Super Metroid. :p

So many smartphone games are really really crap though, sub par for even a free online flash game. On screen control pads are unusable for me so only touch/slide or motion controled ones are any good. That said, there are a few absolute diamonds in the rough.

Back