How much android are you going to use?

Will you buy the successor if it does not have official android support (ekianjo)

• Yes

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

worzyl

With all the android talk, I felt that" ekianjo" question:

"Will you buy the successor if it does not have official android support" was definitely worth doing a poll for. How much are people really going to use it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if many people are going to keep responding to polls :)

But my two cents: I already have another Android device with me (phone), I don't need Android on my Pandora, and anyway Android will probably run faster and be better supported on the phone - and phones are a commodity, something you replace every 2 years because of contracts in most countries, so I can have the bleeding edge of Android without paying anything more than the monthly subscription. 

Net, for me Android has not much value on Pandora - I won't play games on it (I find Android games to be crap, or too simple, emulation is definitely something I value more over Android running on Pandora, because you do get actual complex games and not 3$ pieces of shit of software filled with ads). I may use it for Skype if there's really no other option for me to run something similar on Linux, but again I could use my  phone for that anyway. 

Definitely NOT a deal breaker if it does not have Android, and community wise, I don't think bringing the Android public who knows nothing about FOSS (and don't care about it even if you explain it to them) is going to add anything valuable to the community. The Android mentality reminds me of the Windows PC mentality of the 90s: all about specs race, freeware apps, but nothing about principles. 

I would still buy it even if it doesn't have android support. While useful and adds tremendous value to an already multipurpose device, its not what the Pandora is all about. Its message isn't as unique as it used to be with more and more open handhelds since it was first released. It still has its strengths of *running multiple systems and OS's* either simultaneously, multiple boot options or through emulation. So an very important feature, not a game ender if its not there.

I voted no as per the reason I gave in the other poll thread (maybe it is enough polls now) ie

Adding Android will allow you to have a kickass Linux UMPC, a great emulator handheld for old games, and Android which will enable you to play kick ass current/future gen Android games that will take advantage of the improved HW.    ie best for Linux UMPC lovers, best for those that like old games and best for those that like current & future gen kickass Android games

Basically speaking, I don't want to be locked out of the fastest growing gaming environment

If we are to just produce a P2 with a better SOC etc, than that's all we have, a device that runs the same emu's the P1 does happily now,   I would just stick with a P1 and not invest  $600 in a P2

So unless the P2 added something new in this area (ie  Android), a P2 would be a no from me.

If we are to just produce a P2 with a better SOC etc, than that's all we have, a device that runs the same emu's the P1 does happily now,   I would just stick with a P1 and not invest  $600 in a P2
See my response to your comments on the other thread. You'll be able to do much more with a P2 anyway, even without Android. Whether that matters to you is a different story, but don't just assume the P2 would just be like the 1Ghz was to the Rebirth, it's a new machine with new hardware features as well.  

Adding Android will allow you to have a kickass Linux UMPC
You don't need Android to have a Linux UMPC. Having Linux is already enough for that, and way better than Android for all professional applications.  

See my response to your comments on the other thread. You'll be able to do much more with a P2 anyway, even without Android. Whether that matters to you is a different story, but don't just assume the P2 would just be like the 1Ghz was to the Rebirth, it's a new machine with new hardware features as well.  

Adding Android will allow you to have a kickass Linux UMPC
You don't need Android to have a Linux UMPC. Having Linux is already enough for that, and way better than Android for all professional applications.  
And I answered you in that thread, you said the new HW could enable some new Emu's or allow you to watch movies.  Well as I said in that thread, new Emu's would be years away if they come at all.  ie at launch of the P2  they won't be there.  Secondly, I have no interest what so ever in watching movies on a 5" screen, that's a function for tablets

As for your other comments you made in other posts, I think you misinterpreted what I said, I listed all the things the device could do, not that Android enabled those.  Android enables the ability to play kickass current and future gen Android games. ie so that along with having the best device for a UMPC, and for old games , you also have a device that can play the kick ass current and future gen games on Android, ie it would then be a complete package and have enough extra to justify an additional $600 for a P2 over the $600  invested in a P1.

And I answered you in that thread, you said the new HW could enable some new Emu's or allow you to watch movies.  Well as I said in that thread, new Emu's would be years away if they come at all.  ie at launch of the P2  they won't be there.  Secondly, I have no interest what so ever in watching movies on a 5" screen, that's a function for tablets
I guess you didnt read my comments at all.

- I.e. PPSSPP would probably run much better on P2.

- You could have double resolution in most of current emulators + post processing. How is that not "new" to you ?

- Dolphin, potentially running on P2, i guess that counts for nothing ? How about Dreamcast (it's not THAT far from being possible) ? 

As for movies, I guess you didn't read posts from ED about the new device? It will probably have HDMI out. So we are talking about a portable system that you can plug on your TV for movies too, and run XMBC with it, in full HD. You can't do that with the current Pandora. How is that NOT a new feature ?

Plus, with HDMI out, you can use it as a true portable PC when connecting to a screen. How is that NOT a new feature ?

Seriously, unless you only want games, the P2 should offer many new benefits anyway, even if there's no Android. 

I will get one if I can afford it, and if it doesn't have Android it probably won't dissuade me from the purchase.

Why I would like it to have Android + 3G, is so I don't have to carry around any other device if I don't want to... I for one have an issue with phone contracts, but I've invested quite a bit in Android apps and many have no alternatives available on the Pandora... I would be thrilled if I could run them all on my favorite device that has great battery life, and proper controls AND a keyboard.

I don't care about having an up to date Android os... I just want to be able to run all my software on one device.... That's also why I've been pushing for a wacom digitizer to be included.

If you get your way ekanjo, then you are forcing me to keep supporting the system you don't agree with... which interestingly you have no problem doing yourself.

I want android on the P2 so I can further distance myself from the system. To be free of it.

I have no interest in pumping out movies to my TV from a P2. That's what all the other stuff attached to my TV is for.

And yes , I read your previous comments ekianjo, the fact is, the bulk of Emu's run at full speed on the P1.  Some may run better, but not many.  If a Emu runs full speed on the P1 it isn't going to run faster on a P2 

Double resolution , on Emu games, for what?.

Dolphin and Dreamcast working to the P2's HW full potential would involve further work . As I said they are a way off and wont be there at day one.

Dolphin and Dreamcast working to the P2's HW full potential would involve further work . As I said they are a way off and wont be there at day one.
P2 won't be there for another year and a half at least. How do you know ? Do you have a crystal ball or something ? So much can happen in 2 years. DraStic was thought impossible two years back. 

Double resolution , on Emu games, for what?.
WHat, you don't like the double resolution for PCSXreARMed ? You prefer the 320*200 mode ? Seriously ?  

And yes , I read your previous comments, the fact is, the bulk of Emu's run at full speed on the P1.  Some may run better, but not many.  
Why not many ? Everything will better on hardware which is 3 to 4 times faster in single core mode.  

I have no interest in pumping out movies to my TV from a P2.
Well I do. And I don't think I am the only one if you look at the current TV-out cable interest in the community.  

I see you didnt mention anything about using the P2 as a portable computer you can plug on a monitor. I guess you have no interest in that either?

P2 won't be there for another year and a half at least. How do you know ? Do you have a crystal ball or something ? So much can happen in 2 years. DraStic was thought impossible two years back. 

Ah right, someone has a mystical P2 in there hands right now that they are working to tune Dolphin and Dreamcast Emu's on so that they are ready for launch. I guess I don't need a crystal ball to know that's not the case

We don't even know if it's x86 or ARM that ED has chosen

Also, how can an EMU run faster if it's at full speed already on the P1. Full Speed is Full Speed.

Why would I want to plug my P2 into a monitor to use as a desktop, I could now with a P1 if I wanted to desperate enough, and I don't. Why, beauase on the desk with my monitor, there is my PC.

Ah right, someone has a mystical P2 in there hands right now that they are working to tune Dolphin and Dreamcast Emu's on so that they are ready for launch. I guess I don't need a crystal ball to know to that's not the case
I guess you don't know about PPSSPP: open source development, portable on all platforms, running very well on ARM-based devices, who needs to have a Pandora to develop these kind of things ? If it's based on Linux it will run on it. As simple as that. you don't need to have a P2 to develop software for it, I guess you don't understand that part. And ARM hardware is in no way specific to Pandora. 

I don't care about having an up to date Android os... I just want to be able to run all my software on one device.... That's also why I've been pushing for a wacom digitizer to be included.
Please push for Windows8, for Firefox OS, for Tizen OS as well then. Why stop at Android ?  

I for one have an issue with phone contracts, but I've invested quite a bit in Android apps and many have no alternatives available on the Pandora...
That's the problems with Android apps (and iOS apps) : they lock you in the environment to keep you using it. That's why you shouldn;t be using them in the first place, you become a slave of that system. Most of Linux applications we have on Pandora are Free Software and are ported or portable on other systems. So you can move to Windows if you like and still use the same apps. That's flexibility.  

I don't care about having an up to date Android os... I just want to be able to run all my software on one device....
SOme games on Android have been notorious to ask for Android updates to be able to run. So what do we do in these case ?  

Something like Ginge for Android games would be a nice addition, I'd prefer that. apkenv was a start, but seeing the compatibility problems there, it may not be worth the hassle and I never again want to be a slave of MS and neither want to start becoming one of Google.

If you get your way ekanjo, then you are forcing me to keep supporting the system you don't agree with... which interestingly you have no problem doing yourself.
I don't get what you mean here.  

Something like Ginge for Android games would be a nice addition, I'd prefer that over a whole Android OS anytime.

We kind of already have that, apkenv, while it's incomplete.

I want android on the P2 so I can further distance myself from the system. To be free of it.
With Android, as I said, if you use apps and want to keep using them, you have to keep using Android. That's not very consistent with "being free from the system", You are part OF the system. 

I actually would like to run windows software as well, but only if it's x86. :)

I have no investment in those other os's, so I only need to push for linux + android if arm, or Linux + Windows if x86.

Back