How Much Would You Pay For A Joystick Mod?

abigsmurf

I'm currently looking at getting quotes from plastic manufacturers to see how much it would cost to produce 100 or so joystick mods.

These would include a joystick with a much shorter shaft but a slightly wider joystick head with a concave design on the top to improve grip and a piece of plastic you glue over or replace the plastic circle with that has an octagonal design that should help prevent the "pressing diagonals accidently" problems and also guide the stick into the corners too.

The question is : how much would you pay for this replacement and do you think it's a good idea?

hmm.. £3 - £5 ish

it'd be nice to save a bit on postage if I could buy one from wherever I get a TV-out cable from at the same time...

i've been thinking the same thing, only i can make them myself (no need to pay the middleman) and i'm thinking more along the lines of something a little more quality than plastic pieces (which are, after all, very cheap to reproduce) .. like a custom little knob in the shape of a skull&crossbones, a gp2x logo, maybe the mascot even, a space invader, cast in brass or bronze, and really fix the joystick control problem for good.

i'd be willing to sell, like, a 6-pack of them, or packs of 3, for EU50,-, but it wouldn't be worth setting up the shop unless it would be interesting to folks at that level .. guess i'll get some prototypes made up and show you what i mean. yeah, i know, custom knob, but hey .. i think the gp2x would rock with a little bit of pimp, and good metalwork can help with that ..

Evil Dragon mentioned on gp2x.de that GPH is planning to change the Stick back to GP32 style. People who already have their system will also get an replacement.

500+ may be a good idea but I don't have 750+ quid I can risk :p

I've sent off a rough example of the design I want to a couple of place for quotes and it's looking like I could be able to sell them for £4-5 for a replacement stick although possibly cheaper depending on dodgy chinese labour costs

If you could do it in Silver Alloy and we could do our own design, I would be in for those metal ones definatly and i haven't even got a 2X yet hehehe

SatanClaus posted on Dec 12 2005 at 05:34 PM said:
Evil Dragon mentioned on gp2x.de that GPH is planning to change the Stick back to GP32 style. People who already have their system will also get an replacement.

Interesting ... one thought; how about the joytick push button? I think the GP32's stick feels a bit too loose, IMO. If the re-design it from scratch, it may work better though ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd pay 5-10 USD shipped...

Oh, and i think he just means the the plastic part that you push on, they're going to change that back to the gp32 style. Kind of like the guy who made his "gp32x" mod...but an official one...

What he said...
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Didnt craig saig something a few days ago about them making an official GP32 clone joystick dohickey for the GP2x?

Cbass182 posted on Dec 12 2005 at 05:42 PM said:
Oh, and i think he just means the the plastic part that you push on, they're going to change it back to that. Kind of like the guy who made his "gp32x" mod...

Oh! I see ... well, I like the GP2X stick, now that I did the RetroCon mod ...

I say 10US would be about all I would spend on one. It would be kind of cool to see the designs that some people come up with. I have a sugestion for any one that is thinking about massproducing these. What about the material that the mouse stick on the IBM Thinkpads have. That thing was always so grippy your finger didn't move an inch.

(ps I am talking about the rough feeling one not the round one with the dots however both would be good)

i will pay 15€ for a cross with arrow like snes or playstation ... can't play fighting game with a joystick .....

Ryuuzaki posted on Dec 12 2005 at 11:06 PM said:
i will pay 15€ for a cross with arrow like snes or playstation ... can't play fighting game with a joystick .....
that would be a big modding, not just a stick exchange ;)

Back