How resilent is the pandora?

Doombox

How strong is the pandora? if it falls from say a bed to a wooden floor would it break ? Would the screen be broken ? How bout a drop from about three feet ? Have you ever dropped your pandora? How bad was the damage ? 

Mine fell off the table and hit the concrete floor - only scratches luckily ; )

I'd be carefull not to drop it on something with an edge. Same goes for dropping something on the Pandora. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had LCD's crack during transport.  These had padding and were properly packaged (although UPS has special rules for things with LCDs and such ((2 inches of space on all sides of whatever is inside of it filled with foam/padding/paper))). 

LCD cables wear over time and wear quicker with abuse.  I was stressing out watching Gamester81's review as he was a little rough with his hinge IMHO. 

Cases crack on the black Pandora over time due to stress of internal closures.  Platinum units seem to hold up better, but the paint can only take so much abuse too. 

I have the original black casing.. while the new ones are better. I treat mine as if they were made of glass.

I treat mine lovingly...and yet, somehow, and I have no idea how....apparently the LCD screen got off it's snaps on the bezel...and my touchscreen went wonky, and I couldn't fix it but Link did.  I REALLY wish I knew how it happened, so that I can make sure it never happens again.

^

UPS caused it likely when it went from me to you.  I check them before they leave, and click them into place if they snapped out crossing the Atlantic or were missed by the QA/QC at GC.

I've had LCD's crack during transport.  These had padding and were properly packaged (although UPS has special rules for things with LCDs and such ((2 inches of space on all sides of whatever is inside of it filled with foam/padding/paper))). 

LCD cables wear over time and wear quicker with abuse.  I was stressing out watching Gamester81's review as he was a little rough with his hinge IMHO. 

Cases crack on the black Pandora over time due to stress of internal closures.  Platinum units seem to hold up better, but the paint can only take so much abuse too. 
How bad was the cracks? Whats the life expectations of the lcd cable? ( I mean how many years would it last with me opening and closing the hinge?) I have yet to watch Gamester81's review.... Btw do you sell lcd cables in your store ? I dont see the option ...

The case is prone to cracking if you look at it too hard.

I have the newer silver case too, and I squinted at it once and it cracked.

true story bro.

OK.. got you all beat.  I baby my Pandora and keep it in a soft nintendo ds case.  Crristmas day I am at my inlaws, with my pandora.  Pack my 12 month old in his car seat and some how my pandora slips out of the car.  Apparantly I ran over my pandora with our Honda CRV.   I went ballistic.. the screen had shattered.   Ordered a replacement screen.. She is as good as new.   Thats tough!!!  By the way.. I DON'T recommend  trying to replicate this event. :(

The case ... Fragile . LCD worse than glass and it is indeed glass . I'm assuming the pcb is tough due to the above .

If you drop your pandora from a small height, it's very likely that the bump causes the battery to briefly disconnect, which causes a reboot.

The battery cover has tabs that can break off relatively easily. I currently only have 1 of the 3 tabs left on it, but that still seems to be enough to keep the battery in place (although if I bump it too hard (e.g. putting it down on a table with some force), I get a reboot). Useful advice: don't remove the battery cover if you don't need to (I did remove it a couple of times just to show the battery to some people, and that's probably what killed those tabs - when I'm showing off, I'm probably less careful than usually, because then I want to remove and put back the battery cover as quickly as possible).

I have a black case and I have my Pandora less than a year (about 9 months now), but I use it quite intensively (I take it everywhere with me, nearly always without carrying case, just right into my pocket or backpack). It has had a few drops from small heights (< 1m) on relatively soft surfaces (wood, couch, carpet). Over this period of time, the two battery cover tabs broke off and the case got some cracks and scratches. None of the cracks feel like they're threatening the structural integrity of the case though. The cracks and scratches are barely noticeable from a distance; this is probably one of the advantages of matte black.

So conclusion: this is certainly not a resilient or ruggedized device, and it is probably less strong than big-company handhelds. It's not something extremely fragile either. If you treat it reasonably carefully, it will probably last quite a while without physically breaking.

Well, I think it always depends on luck and how you're handling it.

Black cases crack at some time, the silver ones won't do that anymore.

I've seen iPhones break from falling onto the ground, I've seen broken Pandoras that fell on the ground, but my own Pandora is still fine (well, it looks like all my devices, some scratches here and there, etc.).

My mobile phone has two stains in the glass because it fell down onto two stones on the ground (yay for clamshell), color comes off everywhere as it fell down quite often and is in my trouser pocket together with the keys.

When I was in Korea and I were at the bar with some from GPH, a drunk girl threw the opened Pandora fullspeed on the stone floor. Nothing broke, it didn't even reboot.

So long story short: It depends on how unlucky they fall down, it's the same for any other device as well.

Somehow I've managed to drop mine 3 times this week. Run of bad luck that started with the coil pack on my car failing... It's survived so far!!

I manage to accidentally launch one of mine at a fair clip two meters across a room and into a door frame.  Damaged one of the shoulder buttons (the switch no longer clicks,  giving the button a dead feeling)  but no other apparent damage.  

My battery cover on that unit also has 2 broken tabs.  

- Neelix

I dropped my Pandora about 6 feet onto a thinly carpeted floor with no damage whatsoever to the unit. Luckily it landed more or less flat on its base.

@ ED : What did you say to that girl in Korea to make her abuse your Pandora in that manner? Was it something like 'you can take your Samsung Galaxy & stick it .......'

Back