How to create a new user in xfce? That can work at login?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
I did

sudo adduser test

then I was asked for the password. It worked fine and created a home/test directory.

However, logging out and trying to log in with the test username and the password i specified says "fail to execute login command".

What do to about this?

I made some progress by copying the .xinitrc file from the current user to the test user _> this enabled me to go past the login screen, however from there I cannot launch any PND... :p

Why is that?

I think I remember spotting a gui to create a new user somewhere...

In freamon's openbox, its menu-->programs-->system-->usermanager

There's a user manager in the standard xfce desktop under Start->System->Usermangager that will create a proper new user.

No problem. I had to look twice myself. It's pretty easy to miss because that system menu is starting to get a little cluttered. :D

I've never understood why GTK-based menu systems have separate system and settings menus. It always seems to me pretty arbitrary which of those two any item's going to be under.

If you are to do it at command line you need to remember to add the command to generate a home directory.. 

sudo adduser -m testuser

If you are to do it at command line you need to remember to add the command to generate a home directory.. 

sudo adduser -m testuser
No that does not work because it does not take in account the pandora-related stuff, unfortunately.

I've never understood why GTK-based menu systems have separate system and settings menus. It always seems to me pretty arbitrary which of those two any item's going to be under.
System seems to be more for Pandora-only stuff, but yeah, I understand what you mean...

Hmm...  Why isn't the Pandora related stuff in a skeleton directory to be moved over on home directory creation?

Well I suppose one has to exist, but it's not in a default location..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...  Why isn't the Pandora related stuff in a skeleton directory to be moved over on home directory creation?

Well I suppose one has to exist, but it's not in a default location..
That's why they have a special tool for that in the System menu. That does the trick. The terminal commands do not (i tried and I ended up having to reflash).

Back