How To Download Files From A Personal Website

lubidog

Hi all!

A friend of mine is creating a web page to showcase her own songs. She is a singer songwriter and wants people to be able to download her spiffing songs in an mp3 format straight from the site. However she is worried that the bandwidth will be so great on the main site as to be expensive and slow.

Is a file archive the way to go? Something like GP32x? Can any kind soul here recommend a good one and maybe explain to me how to go about this? Would people need to have a password to log in and do this? I would be better if people could just be redirected to the site and simply take them. She has both original songs and covers, and many of the mp3 sites only allow original songs. She is not selling her work, but offering it for free. And it is jolly good stuff too, may I add! I would be so grateful and always agree with any posts you make here, and flame anyone who is nasty to you if you do...

Many thanks.

lubidog said:
Hi all!

A friend of mine is creating a web page to showcase her own songs. She is a singer songwriter and wants people to be able to download her spiffing songs in an mp3 format straight from the site. However she is worried that the bandwidth will be so great on the main site as to be expensive and slow.

Is a file archive the way to go? Something like GP32x? Can any kind soul here recommend a good one and maybe explain to me how to go about this? Would people need to have a password to log in and do this? I would be better if people could just be redirected to the site and simply take them. She has both original songs and covers, and many of the mp3 sites only allow original songs. She is not selling her work, but offering it for free. And it is jolly good stuff too, may I add! I would be so grateful and always agree with any posts you make here, and flame anyone who is nasty to you if you do...

Many thanks.
Maybe she could get some other hosting (cheap and cheerful with ~1GB space), upload the songs to that and link to them off the main site?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that lots of bands/artists actually link to their myspace profile on their homepages. Not really the perfect solution but then again, it's free hosting, streaming is possible, people can download or link to the song in their own profile + social networking = free and effective self promotion.

Maybe that's an approach to be considered?

rapidshare?

I'd get some cheap hosting and see how much it eats at bandwidth, and alter accordingly.

Just remember that things uploaded to MySpace can be used by Fox for whatever they want, or at least that's what I hear.

Be careful though: Depending on the country she might have to pay GEMA / BIEM, etc. for releasing COVER songs!

You can only release your own songs for free (if you're not a member of GEMA / BIEM, etc.)

Back