How to map USB gamepad for use in MiniMenu and programs?

b_o_b

Advanced Member
My generic USB gamepad is recognized by my Pandora and works in picodrive. Unfortunately it doesn't work out of the box exactly as needed. I basically want the main keys to do the same as the action/direction keys of the pandora. I would like this key mapping to be made in such a way that the Pandora doesn't detect the difference between the keys pressed on the Pandora or Gamepad to prevent it will not work with all programs.  If I succeed one of my Pandora's will act as a stand alone multimedia - XBMC / retro-gaming device and I want to use a wireless gamepad as controller. 

I just tested it with a wired USB gamepad and it only appears to somewhat working in Picodrive. MiniMenu or XFCE4 do not respond out of the box, and only the direction keys are working in Picodrive. Gamepad is recognized in dmesg as a generic10 button gamepad. 

Once I have proven a setup like this is possible with my wired gamepad, I will buy a wireless. 

Any suggestions how to make this work? 

It doesn't do exactly what I was hoping for but it is certainly helpful. I was hoping for a low level keybinding for the gamepad so programs would recognize the gamepads input as the keyboards. That doesn't happen, e.g Picodrive uses its own detection. 

The setting is not persistent as well so I will probably have to load the program every time or need a startup script per program. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember well, QJoyPad supports profiles which could be activated when a particular application starts. I remember creating a script for profile switching, it should be incuded in PNDconfig

If I remember well, QJoyPad supports profiles which could be activated when a particular application starts. I remember creating a script for profile switching, it should be incuded in PNDconfig
PNDconfig looks very interesting. I was already wondering how to create scripts for mounted or 'to be mounted' PND's. Will try it out later this week (when I have a bit more time)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back