How To Run C64/vic Games . . .

dvp1964

Still Fresh
What is the procedure for getting C64 (and VIC20) games running?

For other emulators, I find I need to leave the zip file and it works with it. Not so with Frodo/Vice; I need to unzip them first.

But what sequence of buttons/menu choices do you press to get a game running? does it matter if its a disk image, tape, or cartridge? Im not finding this and I have googled it...

I'll use frodo or Vice - have them both, just want to play the C64 stuff again and cant figure it.

thanks in advance....

David

I'm not sure either but would love to know. There was no readme with my Frodo. I hit "load program/mount disk" and selected the montezumasrevenge.p00 , then selected load first program. Get the familiar Load "*",8,1 but it never actually runs.

stmorri said:
I'm not sure either but would love to know. There was no readme with my Frodo. I hit "load program/mount disk" and selected the montezumasrevenge.p00 , then selected load first program. Get the familiar Load "*",8,1 but it never actually runs.

Try to find games in .d64 format though should help you out. I had trouble with .p00

Last edited by a moderator:
qbertaddict said:
stmorri said:

Try to find games in .d64 format though should help you out. I had trouble with .p00

is there a sequence of steps we need to follow inorder to get a game to run, .d64 or whichever? For instance, settings about emulating the disk drive - importing for running games or not?

do I 'Attach an image" then go back and 'Load first program'??? does one thing have to be done before another? I've tried all sorts of things but nothing; both with Frodo and vice.

and are you saying that .d64 are the only ones that will run? I should delete the rest....

do you know of a c64 adn vic 20 rom resource?

do I 'Attach an image" then go back and 'Load first program'?
That's what should be your first steps to get a game running. If that doesn't help, go to disk browser, look for a filename matching the name of the game and use the virtual keyboard to enter the corresponding letter/number (don't forget to click on the green check mark).
are you saying that .d64 are the only ones that will run?
I don't know, if others don't run, but I guess, every game you like, is available as a .d64-file.

No luck here. I have montezuma.d64 tried with and w/o 1541 emulation. It seems to load but sits at a black screen after that. Maybe this game is not supported?

I use vice, zipped d64 files.I turn frameskip to 0, warp mode and true drive emulation off.Cpu speed to 800 mhz.Go to autostart image and select the game you want, some games will require you to bring up the keyboard with the left trigger and then press the space bar on the c64 keyboard.Just tried montezumas revenge and it plays perfectly, awesome game by the way.

Hi, i can confirm that montezuma.d64 works fine in Vice! Try another rom if you can.

And yer, turn True Drive off or you will get very slow load times etc. I also run vice at 800mhz, Resid!

Han.

Hansel75 said:
I also run vice at 800mhz, Resid!

My Caanoo freezes when I use 800mhz .

I read somewhere that there are slight differences in CPU's and overclock ranges can differ

Back