How to sell more pandora

rohezal

Advanced Member
Here are my ideas:

Make a christmas special.

A site where you can sign up, that you will order 1 ghz pandora. There are 100 slots. If you get a slot and at least 95 slots are full, you will get your ghz pandora for only 499€ (plus shipping). If there are not at least 95 slots filled, just nothing happens. Final Date is the 23 December 2012 at 23:59 gmt.

To avoid fakes let it cost 1$ to sign up for a slot. The money will be returned if there are not 95 people who sign up. Maybe you are nice ED and pay for the paypal fees (1$ return) yourself to attract more customers, since there is no risk at losing the money.

This will cost you maybe 5 or 10$ for paypal fees. But it will create a LOT of attention. And its christmas. I say a lot of people will order from you.

I hate myself for saying this: If you need help with the coding of the Xmas event I will help for free. I have several years experience in web development and security and a Bachelor Degree in Computer Science.

And other idea:

If you exclude vat (for companies), you make big order offers. Let's say 200 pandoras for production costs + 120€ (100€ profit, 20€ for RMAs). You would get from one deal 20.000€. This would be enough for more then 50 new pandoras. Maybe Craig can help you to get such customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your idea would fit nicely here:

But yes, a christmas sale would be good, or like in Australia we have Boxing Day sales :)

God!! please no more pre-orders that is the whole problem. an xmas sale at 499 per pandora. good idea. Do it now guys. It makes sense.

I asked to move the thread into this one:

I made a qoute for you and answered there^^

Yeah, and now that there is stock you should also make an "anniversary" special on top of big events like christmas, to celebrate the birth of Pandora or something. It's really important to have specials during the year to boost sales once in a while AND get attention. You will not build as much profits with those but you get awareness instead, and free publicity.

On the face of it this is a great idea, but you have to remember that Craig currently has by my estimate over 100 pre ordered 1Ghz units which have not been shipped.

My guess is that the vast Majority of those people would simply cancel their orders with Craig and then sign up for the reduced cost model.

Again, this is speculation on my behalf, but I imagine that would be the final nail in the coffin for OP Ltd and bankruptcy would be a real possibility.

Merchants do not slash prices before christmas, but after. Kids...

My guess is that the vast Majority of those people would simply cancel their orders with Craig and then sign up for the reduced cost model.

The real consequence would be:

100 Cancel * 700$ = 70000$ loss.

Pandora LTD went out of business. This means they will not get their money back until ED sells enough Pandoras which could take a lot of time (maybe 1 year or something). So they won't get a pandora this way. But they maybe feel fooled since they ordered long time ago, paied more and get their Pandora later for a higher price, when there is a christmas offer.

The real consequence would be:

100 Cancel * 700$ = 70000$ loss.

Pandora LTD went out of business. This means they will not get their money back until ED sells enough Pandoras which could take a lot of time (maybe 1 year or something). So they won't get a pandora this way. But they maybe feel fooled since they ordered long time ago, paied more and get their Pandora later for a higher price, when there is a christmas offer.

So basically they can't cancel. As that would mean 100% loss of 700$ and have to buy a Pandora from Ed for the new lower price.

I think that ED needs to lower the price of the Pandora now and generate more sales. I also think that ED has to say that original Craig pre orders can't upgrade for the new price as he can't afford that (he could only do that if he had saved up a bunch of profits from sold units or Craig would reimburse him the original amount the paid him) but can buy one for the full new price of they choose to do so. Sadly I'm one of those so I'm shooting myself in the foot by suggesting this.

I strongly feel that the saviour is in getting these units moving again. And they will not move in serious numbers at this price level.

Also a strong reduction in price is a great reason to spam loads and loads of tech blogs and get some free promotion in news items.

I actually thought about doing an impromptu lightning talk at last year's Chaos Communication Congress after some people had asked me about my Pandora - but at that time there were no units available to buy, so I assumed it would be counterproductive in the end.

Could be a possibility this year though (https://events.ccc.de/congress/2012/wiki/Main_Page) - preferably by someone who's better at talking than me :)

Congress should have a bunch of people from the possible target demographics...

I wish we could stick to euros - lets see how a lower price would affect numbers needed to sell.

At a cost of 375€/1ghz-unit, 666€ sale price = 291€ to fund approx one classic preorder

At a cost of 375€/1ghz-unit, 500€ sale price = 125€ to fund approx 0.43 classic preorder

So you are saying a 500€ sale price will increase sales by more than 233 percent? This is hard to predict wihout market research.

EDiT: Galaxis DO IT! Get your hands on a video out cable for demoing the unit and then just show off your favorite games, emulators and apps.

So you are saying a 500€ sale price will increase sales by more than 233 percent? This is hard to predict wihout market research.

ED said sales went from 10-20 to 1-2 per day. I think it would work. At least for a limited christmas event. Only 100 pandoras for this price. Means 12500€ for preorders.

ED said sales went from 10-20 to 1-2 per day. I think it would work. At least for a limited christmas event. Only 100 pandoras for this price. Means 12500€ for preorders.
1) I think he was referring to sales of ReBirth units, which got snuffed by the too-early announcement of 1ghz units which Craig advocated.

2) And your sale would only fund 43 preorders, while destroying subsequent sales at the higher price, because people would wait for the next sale or price cut.

2) And your sale would only fund 43 preorders, while destroying subsequent sales at the higher price, because people would wait for the next sale or price cut.

Tell them they have to wait until next christmas ;)

1) I think he was referring to sales of ReBirth units, which got snuffed by the too-early announcement of 1ghz units which Craig advocated.

A rebirth edition doesn't cost (a lot) more then a 1GhZ edition. The old chip isn't sold anymore by TI and the 1GhZ one takes it's place. So if you can sell 10-20 at the rebirth price and 1-2 at the new price it's a no brainer to me. Especially with the influx of people in the community WITH a device.

Back