How To Start Game In Uae4allgp2x 0.8.0 Beta ?

DevLax

Still Fresh
I just got my gp2x - F200, everything works fine, even the snes emulator.

I can't get uae4allgp2x 0.8.0 beta to run any games, anyone know why ?

I placed a 512kb kickstart v1.3 file, 512kb, named kick.rom in the same folder as the uae4all.gpe file. I start the .gpe file, and after a flash screen, I get the menu. If I select reset (R or d-pad down to reset and press B ) from the menu, I see the good old blue amiga disc (with V1.3 beneath it ), and I can go back to menu by pressing the select button. On the amiga disc intro page, if I hold the home button, I see a flickering image indicating the input device (keyboard, joystick, mouse ). I go to the menu, select image (L ), move to a rom file, press select again just to be sure, it displays the file info, which is just the file name. I then press B to load the currently selected rom to df0 (disc drive 0, ps x loads to df1).

I then press start, which should be the 'home' button ? I get directly back to the amiga screen (no flashing like when you do a reset), and after a second or two, the screen flashes white for a half second, and then goes back to the amiga screen again. Tried this with a couple of games. After a while I found several (supercars2, giana sisters, jesus on e's, etc), which after the white flash actually froze the amiga screen, now with a narrow black stripe at the bottom of the screen (like 5 pixles high), not possible to use 'select' to get back into the menu, only reboot of machine works.

Am I only extremely unlucky with which games I have tried ? Is there a list of games one could try (games known to work well) ? Am I pressing the wrong buttons ? Should I go with the 3.0 or 3.1 kickstarts instead ? Could my 1.3 kickstart be broken ?

Please help, I don't play snes much, I need to get an amiga emu to work :)

Press B on the game you want. Maybe go to extra options and turn off all the external drives.

There used to be a good updated list of games that worked on the wiki but then the wiki nazi took control and put a stop to that. Replaced the compatibility lists with a crap system nobody wants to use so nobody bothers updating anymore.

Compatibility list from Italian forum here. Scroll down a bit.

edit: Oh, and check out uae4allgp2x wiki for tips on which kickstart rom is required.

couldnt get it to work either but now its started all of a sudden and i dont know what ive changed, it simply would not load any of my adf files but older versions would, it lit up dfo briefly then brought up the amiga 1.3 screen "disk in hand" but suddenly everything works so go over everything in the options even changing things you normally wouldnt cos for some odd reason it worked for me and when i put the options back to normal it continued to work... Bizzare!

Philly said:
couldnt get it to work either but now its started all of a sudden and i dont know what ive changed, it simply would not load any of my adf files but older versions would, it lit up dfo briefly then brought up the amiga 1.3 screen "disk in hand" but suddenly everything works so go over everything in the options even changing things you normally wouldnt cos for some odd reason it worked for me and when i put the options back to normal it continued to work... Bizzare!
I'm having sort of the same experience. I'm getting used to the interface to the amiga now, and am able to load the correct disc etc. I have gotten quite a few intro screens up, but only one game has actually loaded 'completely', and that was without picture, only sound (think it was barbarian or something). I'm having pretty much the same experience with the uae2x emulator also. Strange.

Anyhow, now my main problem seems to be that I keep getting an error message from the amiga os/workbench when loading something like 4 of 5 games. I get the workbench screen, and a small 'popup' saying something like 'not a dos disc in the drive', with the option to either retry or cancel. I was starting to think that this was due to a virus or something, but when I tried the same discs in uae2x, I would get further in the loading process (ie the introscreen), and not get the 'non dos disc' message, but it would end in a black screen or a guru meditation a bit later in the loading process.

For others who are struggling and is new to this like me, here is my first hint: With the uae4all (not the uae2x emulator), there is one line in the menu which says 'more options', use B on it, and on the next screen, select to use the status line. This will show you the red and green light the amiga has, indicating disc activity (green on most amigas) and the red one has something to do with cpu or memory activity (don't really know, all I remember is it used to flash when the amiga crashed and was ready to show you a guru meditation ;) )

(does the emulator do a warm reboot like the real amiga, keeping viruses, or does it do a cold reboot, ie turning power off completely ?)

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, thanks to all who have been helping so far. I guess the introduction of the pg2x F200 in addition to the older F100 may result in a few compatibility issues and confusion ?

Here is what I have found out so far when emulating for amiga roms on my gp2x-F200. I use the uae4all (and when that doesn't work, try uae2x, another emulator for amiga on the gp2x)

First download uae4all 0.6.4 from http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1215

On http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/UAE4all I read that I should download http://gnostic.lryiu.com/uae4all_20070713.rar and replace the uae4all.gpe file in the bundle above with the one inside the rar. This updates the 0.6.4 to 0.7.0

The 0.7.0 will only work properly if it's encapsulating folder is placed in the root of the sd card (if you are bold, you may try to place it up to 3 levels into the file tree instead of in the root). Inside this folder the uae4all.gpe file is located, place your kickstart rom file in the same directory, name it kick.rom (it should be 512kb, not 256).

Fire up the emulator from your regular game screen like any other game (you have to browse to the folder it's in), and then figure out the menu. All you have to do is load a game rom in drive 0, and then reset the amiga (or use run). I notice that in the menu the L and R buttons on top of the machine are switced. Using this, I get almost any game to run without any changes to the settings. The only one needed is to sometimes alter the clock speed for the gp2x to 250 to make game/sound smoother. 266 or above will sometimes freeze the gp2x, so only use if needed. Examples of stuff that work is nuclear war, ports of call, the nine fingers demo (quite choppy in most parts), and elite. Assuming that you like me have the elite rom ripped of your own original disc, and you still have your manual, you will also have to figure out how to use the virtual keyboard to enter your pass code from a certain page of your manual.

The 0.8.0 unoficial beta, I guess is buggy or something. It works the same way as 0.7.0, but has a better menu. It is supposed to have fixed the bug which requires it to be in the root level of the sd card. I haven't tested with it in the root, but when it's not in the root, the amiga boot screen (blue disc) will flash white once, and then return to just displaying the blue disc boot screen again. It seems as if it doesn't find the rom that is loaded in df0, or if it finds it for some strange reason when fiddling with settings, it will claim that it isn't a dos disc that is in the drive. Have gotten as far as to a boot screen 3 times so far. Will post update when I have it in the root.

Oh ive sussed it out now about the disks themselves not being loaded by the emulator in the latest beta. you need to turn "autosave" in "more options" to ON, then its fine. All my games are working nicely now and it seems a nice menu with some much needed features. perhaps that auto save feature is buggy???

The first number in "status line" is the framerate :)
The popup of the wb is about "non dos disks" in some drives.
I'm in holyday now. Please wait and I will fix all those nasty bugs :)

DevLax said:
The 0.8.0 unoficial beta, I guess is buggy or something. It works the same way as 0.7.0, but has a better menu. It is supposed to have fixed the bug which requires it to be in the root level of the sd card. I haven't tested with it in the root, but when it's not in the root, the amiga boot screen (blue disc) will flash white once, and then return to just displaying the blue disc boot screen again. It seems as if it doesn't find the rom that is loaded in df0, or if it finds it for some strange reason when fiddling with settings, it will claim that it isn't a dos disc that is in the drive. Have gotten as far as to a boot screen 3 times so far. Will post update when I have it in the root.
The bug will appear mainly when you try to change number of drives (for example, from 4 to 1)... and strangely, seems no disk in the df0. I will investigate in the "new" year ;)

P.S.: there are some other "files" bug that I found in this christmass holidays (I'm not coding now but "test" games ;) )... I hope to fix all soon :)
Sorry for my double posts.

Noldor, thanks for the feedback, looking forward to the update :) The new menu is very much better than the 0.7.0 one...

PS: is the source code available somewhere ? I'm a coder and could probably spare some time to have a look at it. If changing from 4 to 1 drives makes it 'glitch' it's probably just a minor bug that should be easy to find.

DevLax said:
Noldor, thanks for the feedback, looking forward to the update :) The new menu is very much better than the 0.7.0 one...

PS: is the source code available somewhere ? I'm a coder and could probably spare some time to have a look at it. If changing from 4 to 1 drives makes it 'glitch' it's probably just a minor bug that should be easy to find.
The source is public and you can take a look to the main thread here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=39654
Here the direct link to the source: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,2417

Back