Hurrican (Turrican clone) update

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
I finally updated hurrican to work with non X11 PVR drivers.

https://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=hurrican.pickle

Hurrican is a port I did a while back of the original windows homebrew. The original was coded to use D3D. The port uses any kind of openGL. The pandora port here uses GLES2 with PVRTC (TC4).
It should now work with EGL RAW and on any PVR driver.
It also has a lot work done by senquack who tried to make it work better for the GCW.

I have some fixes for the eglport code which can be found on the source forge project.

Also as a side note I updated openjazz to the latest code in honor of Gog releasing it.

Gave this a quick spin on my GHz pandora - works well, thanks! Bit of tearing (both horizontally as well as vertically, oddly enough), but nothing that affected gameplay.

I'll have to give that a try, if I can figure out the right place to put that file in my appdata. I'm not sure if it'll completely solve the problem, because the majority of the backdrop seems to be running at half the framerate of the action, so I guess it's been coded this way, but then again maybe it's just because it's not completing the redraw in the vsync interval half of the time. A fully shadowed 2-way framebuffer could yank down the action to half framerate as well, but the only way to find out is to try it I guess.

Just put the file in appdata/huricane folder. But be aware of line ending. Don't use a "Windows" file, but "Unix" one

For your convenience, I have zipped a file ready "to use".

Attachments

• powervr.zip
    220 bytes · Views: 206
Yep, gave it a go and I can detect no slowdown or drop in smoothness, so I propose this is added to a new build if this if that ever happens. If not, then I propose anyone using this unzips that zipfile into their appdata/hurrican.

Pickle's back! :) Gotta try this one, thanks! By the way, any chance you could upload your Wolf4SDL port to the repo?

ok hurrican updated with the powervr file and tearing is gone

@alxm i uploaded the wolf4sdl i have. Not sure how well it still works. I know it could use a new Picklelauncher build, which i plan to do soon.

Thank you very much Pickle for updates :)
Hurrican (Turrican) is my most favorite game forever :)

I have a question ?

Do you have random stuttering in the game?
Is the gameplay smooth?

It's weird. I have random stuttering, sometimes it loses frames of animation.
I'm sorry but I have not used Pandor for a long time.
Maybe I do not have something installed?

At the moment I have Super Saxxson 1.76 upgrade 2, kernel 3.2 and SGX driver installer r2.
I have tried various SGX drivers from 4.00.00.01 to 4.10.01.01 and I still have
lost frames.

which pandora do you have? I have a 1Ghz model and it has some frame skip. I assume the original pandora will be worse.

There is a graphics setting that you could use to make it faster at the expense of losing some of the effects.

I have 1ghz.
Pickle, if you have a frame skip , so I will have them too
I'm sorry but I thought that the new update would lead the animation and be more smooth.
Of course, it is much better than before the update :)

I have the 4.10 graphics driver on a GHz machine running at 1.1GHz. It may be that I'm more sensitive to tearing than I am to duplicated frames, but I do get the feeling the backdrop is running at half the frame rate of the action still. It's not stuttering and starting though, so I can live with that.

@alxm i uploaded the wolf4sdl i have. Not sure how well it still works. I know it could use a new Picklelauncher build, which i plan to do soon.
Hey @Pickle, sorry to get back to you so late, thanks for uploading the PND to the repo!

I'm trying to run Wolfenstein 3D and can't get it to work. Gamemaps.wl6 shows up in the launcher, but when I press Enter it just takes me back to PickleLauncher. I'm using the data files from the Activision version, which work with Wolf4Sdl from the Ubuntu repos:

ls pandora/appdata/wolf4sdl/wolf3d
audiohed.wl6 audiot.wl6 config.wl6 gamemaps.wl6 maphead.wl6 vgadict.wl6 vgagraph.wl6 vgahead.wl6 vswap.wl6

Here's the pndrun output, does "/bin/sh: ./wolf3d: Permission denied" mean that there's a file permission problem inside the packaged PND?

=======================================================================================
PND : /media/PND32GB/pandora/menu/Wolf4SDL.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/PND32GB/pandora/appdata/wolf4sdl
APPDD_FSTYPE : ext4
PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>
EXENAME : run.sh
ARGUMENTS : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/wolf4sdl"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,dirs="/media/PND32GB/pandora/appdata/wolf4sdl=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/wolf4sdl=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/wolf4sdl"
[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( run.sh ) ----------
cp: `default/..' and `.' are the same file
/bin/sh: ./wolf3d: Permission denied
Starting PickleLauncher.
Running from './picklelauncher'
Loading config.
Initializing SDL.
SDL initialized.
LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/background.png at path='images/background.png'
LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/button_oneup.png at path='images/button_oneup.png'
LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/button_onedn.png at path='images/button_onedn.png'
LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/button_pageup.png at path='images/button_pageup.png'
LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/button_pagedn.png at path='images/button_pagedn.png'
LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/button_dirup.png at path='images/button_dirup.png'
LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/button_dirdn.png at path='images/button_dirdn.png'
LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/button_notsaved.png at path='images/button_notsaved.png'
LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/button_edit.png at path='images/button_edit.png'
LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/button_options.png at path='images/button_options.png'
LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/button_launch.png at path='images/button_launch.png'
LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/button_quit.png at path='images/button_quit.png'
Loading profile.
Closing TTF fonts.
Quitting TTF.
Quitting SDL.
Quitting PickleLauncher.
[SUCCESS]--- Starting the application ( run.sh ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/wolf4sdl': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 1

Last edited:
I'm not Pickle, but I don't think that permission error is terminal. It then goes on and tries to start picklelauncher, but that seems to have trouble loading its icons and gives up. Since picklelauncher is the launch point, once that terminates, it's all over and the pndlauncher finishes. I'm not sure where that return code of 1 came from though, since all the sections claim SUCCESS, but maybe it's that failure to clean up the mount point on first attempt that's causing it. FWIW, I don't think I've ever noticed it reporting the return code before, so maybe it does that all the time, I couldn't say.

But I'd look into why picklelaucher can't find its icons first.

Back