Hurrican

danboid

I know Hurrican has been mentioned on these boards before somewhere but I don't think it was a main topic of any previous thread. I know there are many Commodore fans on this forum and many of these will fondly remember the classic Turrican series of platform shooters. If this sounds like you but you haven't already took the time to check out Hurrican, a modern PC unofficial freeware yet highly professional sequel/tribute with fancy DirectX visual FX etc. then you know what you need to do NOW don't you..

http://www.turrican.gamevoice.de/hurrican_site/

Hurrican is a Windows/DirectX game but it plays perfectly under wine too.

I have been an avid follower of freeware since I became fascinated with public domain software back in the Amiga days. I have seen thousands of freeware, opensource and PD games but Hurrican is notable for being probably the best free game overall and certainly THE best tribute/ unofficial sequel. Yeah yeah, Doom and Quake, but the data files never got GPL'd too did they, and besides DOOM/QUAKE is a unique, incomparable thing. It practically WAS PC/Linux/Unix gaming so is incomparable- Doom was the reason many bought a PC.

I have been in touch with the author of Hurrican (Jörg) and he is very keen to see Hurrican ported to Linux but he has neither the knowledge or skill to do so, but I'm willing to bet a large wedge that there are multiple people here who would love to see Hurrican ported to Linux/ Pandora and also know how to do it, surely? Hurrican says it needs 512MB RAM to run but that is running under the more memory-hungry Windows and it certainly looks like a game that shouldn't need that much RAM. I'm also sure that GLES could do a good job of recreating all the visual FX without breaking a sweat or maybe there's a fast all-software method to achieve equally good results?

I asked Jörg if Manfred Trenz had given him any feedback but apparently not. Jörg had tried writing to him but never got any response- pretty sad I thought although I suppose its better than Manfred trying to sue or ban Hurrican I suppose!

Do we have any willing and capable volunteers for porting Hurrican to Linux?? If so get in touch with Jörg and let him know!

Thanks!

Whats wrong with the bb code and quotes admins?

Last edited by a moderator:
Superb game on the Amiga and it looks like a superb (unofficial) sequel too.
This would be a must play game for me, so I hope someone signs up to try a port :)

EDIT: Didn't notice you could create your own levels too, Sweeet!

That link works about as well as your ' key. :)
Does this Hurrican project have publically available source code?
If so I'll have a look at porting it to GLES & Pandora as I'm a big Turrican fan.

'TheGoodDoktor' said:
That link works about as well as your ' key. :)
Does this Hurrican project have publically available source code?
If so I'll have a look at porting it to GLES & Pandora as I'm a big Turrican fan.
GoodDoktor:

There's nothing wrong with my ' key, its either a bug in the code for Opera, this forum or a combination of the two. My link worked for a while but now its broke again so I'm thinking its the latter.I've tried deleting my extraneous quotes but they re-emerged after submitting my edit. Admins?

There is no publically available code afaik but I'm sure Jorg will gladly share it with you if you are serious about porting it to Linux. I don't know what his plans are with regards to opening the code for all though.

Thanks username- I thought it was a bb code issue as I had noticed even in this thread other peoples inverted commas multiplying.

GoodDoktor:

Please keep us posted if you do get in touch with Jörg - ah cannae wait to play Hurrican on Pandora!! B)

Thanks!

Dan

I loved playing Turrican on the Amiga and Hurrican looks awesome. Could would definately be a winner on the Pandora!

I'd maybe post this in the development forums as well, just incase, looks fantastic to me, i'd love to play it, could be a pandora show-piece!

Hurrican source is not open source. The fact is there is no linux version (at least complete) and source contains a lot of Windows dependencies (DX8). But I'll be confident a Pandora version of it will appear.

'danboid' said:
There is no publically available code afaik but I'm sure Jorg will gladly share it with you if you are serious about porting it to Linux.

hurrican is great just as turrican was another game i want to see ported would be Settlers 2.5 Return to the Roots which is open source :D

I downloaded Hurrican (cause it looked interesting), and it's quite a fun game. I'm having a bit of trouble even making it through the first level (yes, I know that's pathetic), but I attribute it to the fairly terrible control scheme.

The original Turrican games only used 2 buttons (fire and space or button2 on amigas) but Hurrican uses a lot more- I think it uses 6 or 7. I've got a PSX style USB joypad and Hurrican plays great with that and will also play a lot better with the Pandora pad instead of playing it on keyboard, which I presume is how you tried to play it?

'danboid' said:
The original Turrican games only used 2 buttons (fire and space or button2 on amigas) but Hurrican uses a lot more- I think it uses 6 or 7. I've got a PSX style USB joypad and Hurrican plays great with that and will also play a lot better with the Pandora pad instead of playing it on keyboard, which I presume is how you tried to play it?
Yep. It uses (by default) the arrow keys for movement and looking around, and puts all of the action stuff (shooting, jumping, looking down, special weaponry) on the various modifier keys and whatnot in the bottom left of the keyboard (shift, alt, ctrl, space, even uses enter, right shift, and right alt).

Back