Hyperkin Retron 5

Trickyhero

I heard that this product is a big gpl violator and also some of the emulators that it uses have anti-commercial clauses in them. Would it be possible to replace this product with something else on your site? I'm surprised because it seems like you really know what's up with FOSS software. I'm not that angry about the product, but I think it would be cool if something like the retron 5 existed that respected the gpl. Does anyone know of any good alternatives?

Yes, I know :(

Problem is: the violation was known after I ordered them and I had to take them.

I even talked to one from the Retroarch team and he told me I should sell them off ;)

There's not yet an alternative, but there will probably one soon.

I am working on a case where both the Retrode and the Pi/Pi2 will fit, so you'll have a fully open source Linux console with SNES and Genesis Controller ports as well as cartridge slots. The plugins will work, so SMS, N64, GBx will also fit. And as it's Linux, you can run the off the cartridge OR copy them locally so you won't have to take out your cartridge each time.

As the Pi2 has HDMI and analog out, you can both connect it to flatscreens and old CRTs.

I hope that's something you had in mind :)

Well, according to Hyperkin, they are not violating the GPL anymore. I specifically asked them, and though I don't really believe it, I can't use that as reason to send them back.

Somehow this box even screams  "...violation" out of all slots. ;)  Back then every console company would have instant sued the company that make such devices, it#s already a miracle that there is not much more "noise" around these products. Nintendo is notorious for taking legal actions of all kinds. 

So be careful, ED!

Somehow this box even screams  "...violation" out of all slots. ;)  Back then every console company would have instant sued the company that make such devices, it#s already a miracle that there is not much more "noise" around these products. Nintendo is notorious for taking legal actions of all kinds. 

So be careful, ED!
They got official blessing from Nintendo, which is the reason no N64 emulation was available and also no dumping the carts is possible.

Back