I Am Worried

evilmegaman

Still Fresh
Well I just bought a GP2X, but I am starting to think, was that a bad idea? I mean with the XGP coming out sooner or later, will all the devs and everybody move over to the XGP? I am kinda weary of it due to the fact that I don't think they even have an english site... So yeah, is everybody moving to the XGP when it's released or is the GP2X gonna live on?

I doubt xgp gets as much atention as gp2x, and even if its essentialy the same soc, as long as programms dont use the 3dchip of the xgp or the 940 of the gp2x they should be able to be compiled for both wihout any changes.

evilmegaman posted on Jul 4 2006 at 12:39 PM said:
Well I just bought a GP2X, but I am starting to think, was that a bad idea? I mean with the XGP coming out sooner or later, will all the devs and everybody move over to the XGP? I am kinda weary of it due to the fact that I don't think they even have an english site... So yeah, is everybody moving to the XGP when it's released or is the GP2X gonna live on?
You never can tell what will happen.

I would guess that some of the emulator developers will jump to the new platform right away (although probably not exclusively). They seem to want to get their stuff running on a new platform as soon as possible. I don't know that they will be better on the XGP though, and there will be more gp2x users than XGP users for a LONG time unless the XGP catches on in some unexpectedly large way.

Others who have already ported something to the gp2x might port that same stuff to the XGP also if it isn't too hard.

But I don't think the XGP has enough compelling benefits to make anybody abandon the gp2x. It might dilute the gp2x development a little bit as described above.

Assuming the XGP (not the kids which seems pretty worthless to me, just a cheaper non-compatible gp32-class machine) ever actually does get released I'll probably pick one up to play with but I can't see why I would find it more fun to develop for than the gp2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
So was it a good idea overall to get the gp2x? or should I have waited to see about the XGP? Sounds like it was a good plan :)

evilmegaman posted on Jul 4 2006 at 12:49 PM said:
So was it a good idea overall to get the gp2x? or should I have waited to see about the XGP? Sounds like it was a good plan :)
Well since this is a gp2x message board, I'm pretty sure we'll all say you did the right thing :)

GP2X and XGP are NOT made by the same company. Therefore, the XGP is not the sequel to the GP2X, it's simply a better alternative to it. Regarding the investor thing, I already stated that they did NOT go to E3 to search for investors.

JaqMs posted on Jul 4 2006 at 03:06 PM said:
GP2X and XGP are NOT made by the same company. Therefore, the XGP is not the sequel to the GP2X, it's simply a better alternative to it.
How is it better?

evilmegaman posted on Jul 4 2006 at 08:49 PM said:

It wasn't a bad idea and what XGP do you have in a mind? There are 3 very different (screen, control and size wise) XGP models.
We don't know how XGP will develop. From technical standpoints the GP2x has a possible an advantage having second ARM core. XGP has an advantage in 3D thanks to its 3d accelerator but how it will perform in 3d is still not clear.
(so far it's looking that the XGP isn't up to levels of PSP in 3D)

Scared I am... NOT !

The XGP may, or may not be better, it is not even near the nature that powers the GP2X B) , XGP is a commercial AIM at selling games and similar stuff ( I doubt that it'll be an open source anything to start with or finish with ), GP2X is a hardcore dev / gamer / emumaniac / music and vid player with networking capabilities... And so much more...

Don't compare that which can't be compared, and, if in doubt, get both :lol:

Just to be clear, I do know that they aren't made by the same people. I was just worried that the XGP would become the big thing soon enough that it would be pointless to have bought a GP2X just now. So I am glad that you guys seem to think that the XGP won't be taking the GP2X's position any time soon :)

iignotus posted on Jul 4 2006 at 08:32 PM said:
GP2X and XGP are NOT made by the same company. Therefore, the XGP is not the sequel to the GP2X, it's simply a better alternative to it.
How is it better?
Why even rise to the bait?

JaqMs posted on Jul 4 2006 at 12:06 PM said:
You have chosen to ignore all posts from: JaqMs.

· View this post
· Un-ignore JaqMs

:)

The problem with the XGP is there is THREE different models, I would never understand which one to pick.

If it had a 400Mhz ARM9 then I would be worried but it is only 266Mhz and 90% of us can overclock to that (sure maybe the XGP can overclock too) but I think the GP2X is here to stay.

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: JaqMs.

· View this post
· Un-ignore JaqMs
And I wouldn't have it any other way :)

- Alex

Wite_Noiz posted on Jul 4 2006 at 03:48 PM said:
How is it better?

Why has he never answered this question?

Shikaku posted on Jul 4 2006 at 09:27 PM said:
How is it better?

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare?

nickspoon posted on Jul 4 2006 at 03:35 PM said:
Shikaku posted on Jul 4 2006 at 09:27 PM said:
How is it better?

What is this life, if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare?
Why can't you guys just accept my sayings insteading of endlessly asking questions?

I'm not worried at all as it won't sway psp developers one bit so i'll simply get rid of my gp2x if that's the case

Back