I didn't get a Pandora because...

Phawx

Professional Derailer
What would you do, if you didn't get a Pandora. I don't mean, you wanted one but couldn't get it, but you look at the rest of your gadgets and say, I don't need a Pandora.

I have pre-ordered but I tried looking at my PSP and my Jailbroken Iphone and am very displeased with how little use they are. The iPhone has some neat applications, but it is hindered by its stupid, "Only 1 app at a time" OS. It can be an eBook reader, but it doesn't save chapters and getting ebooks that work perfectly and render perfectly don't really work out well.

All of the emulators on the iPhone are silly. Sure the iControlpad can help, but than I would be carrying around a crazy extension to a phone all the time.

The iPhone is one of the few gadgets that I wasn't really sure of and disappointed me the most. My PSP has some very good emulators, but the controls are half working.

I WAS thinking of buying an EEEPC instead of a Pandora, but I don't want a small laptop. I want a pocket laptop and a real laptop and a desktop. EEEPC is an acceptable laptop for me, but I already own a laptop so I could justify.

Any other gadgets that did or ALMOST kept you away from the Pandora?

Phawx said:
What would you do, if you didn't get a Pandora. I don't mean, you wanted one but couldn't get it, but you look at the rest of your gadgets and say, I don't need a Pandora.

I have pre-ordered but I tried looking at my PSP and my Jailbroken Iphone and am very displeased with how little use they are. The iPhone has some neat applications, but it is hindered by its stupid, "Only 1 app at a time" OS. It can be an eBook reader, but it doesn't save chapters and getting ebooks that work perfectly and render perfectly don't really work out well.

All of the emulators on the iPhone are silly. Sure the iControlpad can help, but than I would be carrying around a crazy extension to a phone all the time.

The iPhone is one of the few gadgets that I wasn't really sure of and disappointed me the most. My PSP has some very good emulators, but the controls are half working.

I WAS thinking of buying an EEEPC instead of a Pandora, but I don't want a small laptop. I want a pocket laptop and a real laptop and a desktop. EEEPC is an acceptable laptop for me, but I already own a laptop so I could justify.

Any other gadgets that did or ALMOST kept you away from the Pandora?

download stanza for iphone great ebook reader that stores last page and you can put bookmarks in it too.

yeah, had to toss out the ol' illiad, not to mention the bible, and qur'an, and the Lord of the Flies. couldnt part with my sandman comics though.

I have been interested in the Pandora since someone redirected me here from a PSP forum, and that interest would have lead to a wait and see attitude if I hadn't put some thought into why I was interested in the homebrew scene on the PSP.

See, Bookr is a good application with an awesome interface. But it had some limitations, some were large enough that could keep you from reading an ebook while others were weak and could be fixed by recompiling with a few minor tweaks.

And there is other programs I enjoyed a lot, such as PePViewer, but eventually it came down to the limitations of the system and how I despise the cords from my headphones.

See, the two main interests I have is to use the system as an ebook/manga reader and an mp3 player. The battery life supports this well, and it looks like doing both at once should be fairly easy as well. Add to that it will be able to use Firefox (Youtube, Amazon.com and blackboard), OpenOffice (reading documents from teachers, notes), and the built-in microphone and I think the system has immense value in helping me stay on top of my studies.

So when I think about the homebrew community like the PSP it brings in thoughts of how limited the system is, I find reasons for wanting a Pandora and it's features meet all of my needs (though I would love it if the screen could rotate or flip to the backside for easier written notes) in both a portable such as my PSP and most of my reasons for wanting a laptop. In the end, it meets my major needs for a computer as well as for a portable, and with a few accessories (TV and TV out, Bluetooth mouse and keyboard) and it would be an awesome replacement altogether for my existing systems (not that I plan to get rid of my laptop, just that I would like the option).

As for alternate systems to buy, I've seen no other I would consider more for myself. As for gifting to others (my GF), I think an Asus EEEPC would be right along with her needs, is a bit cheaper then a Pandora (which meets my needs as a gift), has a bigger keyboard and screen, and she would get less questions about it so it is up for consideration.

I couldn't NOT get one. I tried to think of a reason not to get one, or actually I tried to talk myself out of it.
I'm not strapped for cash, but not rolling in it either. I saw the Pandora on Digg for the first time, read the
specs and had to buy it. I just saw that it could run emulators up to a psx, and I wanted something to
develop some home brew games for. Didn't even know the other possibilities of the device.

I'm really glad I preordered now. I hope the user base keeps growing, and I hope Pandora spawns other
devices similar to this idea.

nope... pandora is as if it was made just for me.

i own 1 desktop and 1 laptop, 1 for work, and laptop for other stuff like messenger to take resource load off of my main workstation, so my laptop is pretty much stationary.

i wanted another portable computer but those umpc's were way too expensive, and eee's were out of question because I don't need another laptop. (besides, you always end up using laptop just at home. carrying around laptop is quite bothersome...)

and here comes this machine that's as small as the orignal DS, can run ubuntu, and with gaming control. insta-sold. plus, i'm very excited about the prospect of gimp-on-the-go.

recently I've been considring an Everun Note. Not as a replacement to the pandora but rather as a complement to it. for something that picks up where the pandora leaves off... well mainly for windows games that dosbox has no chance of doing (world of warcraft).

The Everun Note does look pretty badass. dual core. ati graphics. 7 inch screen. but it is 800 dollars with no operating system, the battery life sucks ass, and no game controls.
still though, if I sell my truck, I might just get one.

I did preorder my Pandora, but before I heard about it I was seriously debating between the Nokia n800 and n810. I wanted a palmtop Linux device with a touchscreen, keyboard, and 2 SD slots. The Nokias are very polished looking with their thin metal cases and nice Maemo interface. But I wanted a keyboard and I wanted SD slots and I couldn't have both with either Nokia. Why they switched to a single MiniSd instead of the dual full SDs is beyond me. Even 1 full SD and one micro SD would be cool, but MiniSD was DOA. Then, when I seen the Pandora with its big keyboard and 2 SD slots plus faster processor and graphics processor, USB host, etc. I ended up going with it. I am just hoping that the software does the awesome hardware justice.

Kyosys said:
Stop it with the off topic

it's been reported twice
'how will we make blind, unsourced, anecdotal idle discussion about the pandora if they keep trying to have fun!'

PoisonedV said:
yeah, had to toss out the ol' illiad, not to mention the bible, and qur'an, and the Lord of the Flies. couldnt part with my sandman comics though.

You were able to sell a bible? Wow , here in the netherlands almost noone has a bible. I don't have one to. (Im not christian , so..... )

I was thinking between a new DS and a Pandora. But the Pandora could do so much more then my DS and i still have an old DS (nearly broken touchscreen) , so I bought myself a pandora.

Its tiring to have to read through and sort out the nonsense post, I agree.

Two times a year I get restless and search for a better handheld experience, I've read large amounts of reviews of different systems and devices, some I've bought.

Recently I was in that situation again and had to decide between Everun, Wibrain, to wait for Pandora, Nokia N800. I decided to take the N800, because I didn't want to go the x86 route again(heavy, less battery life, overheating). The tempting thing about x86 is its gigantic amount of software it collected in the past decades. But the negative thing is its dinosaur inefficiency. Having used the N800 for quite a while, I am very happy, to have decided to buy it instead of an x86.

My N800 can do exactly the things I need from a pocketable device, its an almost perfect fit.

The only complaint about the N800 is it being relatively slow and the lack of support of the little goodies, that matter the OMAP, like the DSP and The PowerVR.

The N800 was an interim solution, because the Pandora was far away from being available. I knew I would buy the Pandora the first time I read about the project.

The N800 gave me a good estimate on what to expect from the Pandora, so I'm prepared.

The Pandora is the first of its kind and it seems like it is made by people, who have the same taste like me. The clamshell design reminds me of the HP Journada, I was interested in.

A very important thing is if there is a good community behind the device.

The requirements are perfectly met :)

Back