I hate those emulators that.....

Hồng Thất Công

Đả Cẩu Bổng Pháp
To tell the truth, I hate those emulators that force you to use it's own rom folder and don't let you pick the location of the roms.  My SD2 is 64GB and my SD1 is 16GB.  So I put all the roms on SD2 whereas all my pnds and important stuff are on SD1, because roms eat up space real quick.  For example, I put all my neogeo roms on SD2 in a folder call "neogeo_roms" and put the mame_ex.pnd and fba.pnd on SD1, both of these are neo geo emulators with different capabilities/compatibility.  In order to play neogeo games on these emulators, you must put the same set of roms in two locations - one in the rom folder of mame_ex and the same thing in the rom folder of fba.  This to me is a waste of valuable memory space.  Why on earth don't developers of these emulators wrote them in a way so that they allow us to pick the rom folder of our choice so we don't have to place the same set of roms twice?!!!!  This is just an example, there are a whole bunch of other emulators out there are like that.  Gneo is nice though, it lets you pick your own rom folder.

Sorry if I step on someone's toe, but it's all (Pandora) business here, no personal feelings  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no coder, so I dunno how complicated it is to add in user selected ROM directories, but I always prefer apps that let you select the directories instead of forcing you to use pandora/appdata/(appname).  I also prefer to keep ALL ROMs on my second SD card, using the first SD card for my PND files and gamedata for conversions (Doom, Quake, Ultima, etc.)

What's the big deal?

I got piles of stuff on my SD 1 and STILL have 12GB available out of 32.

I put my music all on SD2 and all the evopedia files on SD2

Indeed, it's a little bit annoying, but truth is you can use symlinks (at least on Linux fs).
Most people use Fat32
The big deal gets big if you use different emulators or just don't have enough money or interest in upgrading to a bigger card. I also don't see the problem on the dev side, implementing a directory browser isnt very complicated, and I doubt that if a dev would ask for help in that matter, that it would be ignored.

In addition to the extra space it takes up unnecessarily having to maintain two copies of a romset can be a pain.   If you want to add a new ROM,  you have to add it to each copy of the set if you want it to be available to more than one version of such an emulator. It's additional work that should be unnecessary.

Being able to keep them elsewhere would also mean that you wouldn't have to to worry about the ROMs if you need to clear out your appdata for any reason.

- Neelix

With PanMAME, you can define multiple rom folders in the config file.

I actually only have the romsets in PanMAMEs own directory, that are not in MaME4ALL or GnGeo-directory.

Took a few days (and lots of clrmamepro usage) to sort that out...

C4All also allows multiple rom directories. I've set it up to use the PanMAME and MAME4ALL dirs, and that's it.

Well, I run MAME4ALL, PanMAME, MAME-EX, and C4A...and maintain seperate romsets for all of them.  I still got piles of stuff on my Pandy, and plenty of room on my 32 GB card.

I personally like it that it is not complicated to find your roms, or tell the emulator where to look for them.  It just tells me where it wants them and I put them there.

Honestly - and maybe this is because of MY level of understanding and grasp on all this stuff...I personally PREFER to be told exactly where to put them, and just have done with it.

I don't like getting all fancy...the more you screw around with things, the more likely you are to finally manage to mess something up.

I hate those emulators that.......are like PANMESS.  That is one emulator I know I will never figure out and have given up on it. I gave it 100% but no luck. Actually  I removed all the Vectrex games preloaded on PANMESS and transfered them on my Vectrex emulator. 

PANMESS= :angry:  !!!  

Sorry to have offended anyone.

I hate those emulators that ....have too many bios's. However I will say that finding the bios achieves pleasure of getting the emulator to run .....you gotta fight for your right to party :D !!!!

Last edited:
I personally like it that it is not complicated to find your roms, or tell the emulator where to look for them.  It just tells me where it wants them and I put them there.

Honestly - and maybe this is because of MY level of understanding and grasp on all this stuff...I personally PREFER to be told exactly where to put them, and just have done with it.

I don't like getting all fancy...the more you screw around with things, the more likely you are to finally manage to mess something up.
Sure, there is certainly something to be said for a having reasonable default settings and instructions on how to use it to make it easy to get going. But at the same time there should be the flexibility to easily change the settings, for those who find the default settings less convenient.
- Neelix

Sure, there is certainly something to be said for a having reasonable default settings and instructions on how to use it to make it easy to get going. But at the same time there should be the flexibility to easily change the settings, for those who find the default settings less convenient.

- Neelix
A fair statement, Neelix.

More flexibility is always a good thing!

Hate is a bit of a strong word?! Sure it is nice to be able to pick where ROMs are loaded from, sure it is annoying if an emulator doesn't offer this option, but it sounds more like a reason to give the developer a feature request rather than declaring your hatred.

In terms of why do developers not do this as by default, well because you aren't the developers boss, you aren't paying them to do their work, they are essentially doing things for their own personal goal/achievement. If a directory picker isn't something they care about why should they code up this feature? If you kindly ask them for this feature and they say no, I think that is fair enough...

Hate is a bit of a strong word?! Sure it is nice to be able to pick where ROMs are loaded from, sure it is annoying if an emulator doesn't offer this option, but it sounds more like a reason to give the developer a feature request rather than declaring your hatred.

In terms of why do developers not do this as by default, well because you aren't the developers boss, you aren't paying them to do their work, they are essentially doing things for their own personal goal/achievement. If a directory picker isn't something they care about why should they code up this feature? If you kindly ask them for this feature and they say no, I think that is fair enough...
Are you one of those who made Kumaki quit being a Mod?  Just kidding of course  :D

I was just voicing my opinions about those emulators.  I did apologize in advance in my original post if I step on those developer's toes.  Yes I agree with you about my use of words.  I don't hate these emulators, I just hate my memory space being wasted.

Hate is surely a strong word (and I would not have used it), but as free as the devs are to proceed on such matters in the way they want to, users are as equally free to voice their discontent with this situation (except that it should not be slanderous, of course).But the solution here is quite simple - just don't use. I had (a far less emotionell) situation with the author of DosBoxEx in the past, which I just do not use since then - problem solved.

If one truly hates an emulator then it's really only right and fair that you let the author know.

Ask a friendly mod for his IP address, then determine from a whois or similar system his home address[1] - then pop around, strip naked and dowse yourself in petrol on his front lawn. Before you light the match, be sure to ring the doorbell and shout in his face just exactly what is wrong with his user-interface.

Bonus points if your final act after self-immolation ruins his flower beds or sets fire to his front porch.

[1] It has been brought to my attention that a simple IP Trace may not determine the correct author's house, so always be sure to ask him if he is the author before you ruin his day. Or else you'll look like berk.

D.

the devs are to proceed on such matters in the way they want to, users are as equally free to voice their discontent with this situation
I do not disagree, however I wonder if my suggestion of making kind feature requests maybe more fruitful than a declaration of hatred. I didn't suggest the OP has done anything wrong per se, it was more of a suggestion of a better way to get features serviced (this is all in my opinion of course, maybe some developers need a prompt exactly like this thread to spring into action!)

I would implore "you" to reconsider a certain stance - if you're actually doing this...(ignoring newbies like Kumaki and such)..ha ha ha....mind you, I'm at a loss...and I'll learn on my own....but it's nice when YOU folks try to teach and port games.  I'm enthralled with it all.  Programming and porting takes TIME - I get that.....but kind words don't.  TRY to be nice.

I do not disagree, however I wonder if my suggestion of making kind feature requests maybe more fruitful than a declaration of hatred.
This is of course the most desirable (and the one to strive for) route.

Back