I Need Convincing To Buy A Gp2x

enverse

Still Fresh
Hello there, ive spent that last few days checking what looks like a wonderful little device out on the net.
First of all im very keen to buy this beauty but im a wee bit scared so i need you guys to help me out with some info..

1. first of all i have windows xp, will it connect to that ok or do you need linux??

2. I have an emulator called gens on my PC and i play all my roms with that, they are usually .bin or .smd files...do i need to get gp2x specific roms or can i use the ones ive been using with gens .

3. i love the monkey island games! and i want to know how to run MI 1 and MI 2 on the gp2x.. ive heard of a program called ScummVM..is that best? or would it be best using it via an amiga emulator. By the way i dont have an original copy of these games so im not sure if its legal?? if someone could help out via a chat on msn messenger i would be gratefull :)....cheissuperted@hotmail.com

4. BATTERIES. ive heard you get around 5 hours life out of them.elsewhere says 2 hours(maybe thats a review of old firmware version??). anyone know the truth?? ill plan on using decent disposable batteries like duracell or energiser...or i might plan to use rechargables...can you use any type such as NIMH or are there only a certain type you can use?

5. Why should i get this and not a PSP....ive found out that you can get emulators for PSP these days aswell?? or is that a much more complicated procedure to do??

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

My msn is cheissuperted@hotmail.com would be great to chat to someone who can guide and convince me :)

1. Windows XP is fine.
2. You can use your old roms with emulators for the gp2x.
3. ScummVM will work fine with it, but I think you need the original copy.
4. I get about 4 hours (I really timed it) with some 2500MaH ones I got for 10 dollars. You can "use" any type of batteries, but I'd recommend getting some rechargables.
5. This system doesn't try to prevent you from playing homebrew and it is much easier to run emulators and the like. It also uses the much cheaper SD cards. It also has TV out and the BOB box which allows a whole degree of functionality.

Extra: It is pretty easy to run emulators and games on this. The readme almost aways have instructions of where to put everything. Some of the emulators are a little harder to get working since you have to put the roms in a special directory. That is aways in the readme though.

Also, even though you can use any roms for the gp2x you need emulators just for the GP2X which can be found here. http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi I didn't know if you knew that.

GP2X=costs less money than doing it with a PSP

ALL ROMs usually do not have multiple formats, and is actually recommended that if it doesn't work on the GP2X you try it on one of your own emulators.

SD card reader is HIGHLY recommended, but you can use Windows XP (but it's buggy and usually won't work to use the GP2X as a reader).

here's a card reader for $3 total if you are concerned about the price of a card reader... http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=30379

Last edited by a moderator:
jdwrrzmm posted on Aug 27 2006 at 05:05 PM said:
1. Windows XP is fine.
4. I get about 4 hours (I really timed it) with some 2500MaH ones I got for 10 dollars.
5. This system doesn't try to prevent you from playing homebrew and it is much easier to run emulators and the like. It also uses the much cheaper SD cards. It also has TV out and the BOB box.

thanks so far

anyone have any more ideas about monkey island...i heard you can get a rom for it somewhere..like a single file or something?? does ScummVM support roms or??

enverse posted on Aug 27 2006 at 12:14 PM said:
1. Windows XP is fine.
4. I get about 4 hours (I really timed it) with some 2500MaH ones I got for 10 dollars.
5. This system doesn't try to prevent you from playing homebrew and it is much easier to run emulators and the like. It also uses the much cheaper SD cards. It also has TV out and the BOB box.

thanks so far

anyone have any more ideas about monkey island...i heard you can get a rom for it somewhere..like a single file or something?? does ScummVM support roms or??

You can't ask about ROMs... download the ScummVM for the GP2X yourself and see what format it has to be.

I'm not a salesman, so I'm not going to "convince" you. I can answer some of your questions though.

enverse posted on Aug 27 2006 at 10:00 AM said:
1. first of all i have windows xp, will it connect to that ok or do you need linux??
The majority of gp2x owners run Windows. It works fine.
3. i love the monkey island games! and i want to know how to run MI 1 and MI 2 on the gp2x.. ive heard of a program called ScummVM..is that best? or would it be best using it via an amiga emulator. By the way i dont have an original copy of these games so im not sure if its legal?? if someone could help out via a chat on msn messenger i would be gratefull :)....cheissuperted@hotmail.com
The answer to the legality question is always the same. Unless the creator/owner of a game or other program explicitly puts it out in the world for free, you don't get to have it for free. It's pretty much common sense. That's why you can't ask here where to find the games, and why you can't download them from the sites where you get your emulators. It's like it's legal to buy a pipe that you could smoke crack in, but it's up to you where you get the drugs. Most people who download these games simply don't care about the legality, and the odds of goinng to prison for it are pretty darn small.
4. BATTERIES. ive heard you get around 5 hours life out of them.elsewhere says 2 hours(maybe thats a review of old firmware version??). anyone know the truth?? ill plan on using decent disposable batteries like duracell or energiser...or i might plan to use rechargables...can you use any type such as NIMH or are there only a certain type you can use?
Don't use disposable batteries, they do not work well in this device. Get high quality rechargeable batteries. Lots of people have had success with Energizer 2500s. Personally I got some off-brand batteries on ebay that are 2800 mah because they were cheap but I get about 3 hours from them so you can't go just by the numbers.
5. Why should i get this and not a PSP....ive found out that you can get emulators for PSP these days aswell?? or is that a much more complicated procedure to do??
It is more complicated on the PSP, because you have to use special hacks to get around Sony's firmware restrictions. The PSP has the advantage that it is 1000x more popular than the gp2x, so it has great commercial games and some people willing to go through hoops to get emulators to run on it. The gp2x has the advantage of being an open platform so porting stuff is easier. I don't use emulators myself so I can't give you a rundown on which emulators for each platform work better. That would be an interesting thing to see though if somebody has both a gp2x and a psp and can compare them.

1. Windows XP is fine.

You say this as a person who use thier gp2x with windows xp?? do you connect the gp2x via usb to your computer then windows recognises it as removable hard disk? im assuming that because its the same with my phone

enverse posted on Aug 27 2006 at 12:20 PM said:
1. Windows XP is fine.

You say this as a person who use thier gp2x with windows xp?? do you connect the gp2x via usb to your computer then windows recognises it as removable hard disk? im assuming that because its the same with my phone

Usually this is what happens when you try that (it IS supposed to work that way however..):

Unrecognised device detected.

And then people come on the board asking this question.

The response always is: get a card reader. It's much faster and it doesn't run your batteries.

k dudes...questions answered :)

i understand about the roms...

btw did someone called mikey just add me to thier msn??? if so i think i denied it by accident try sending me an email and ill add your address again...

enverse posted on Aug 27 2006 at 04:20 PM said:
1. Windows XP is fine.

I normally use a SD card writer, but I have directly connected the GP2X to the PC by USB. Windows picks it up as a removable hard disk.

here is what I usually say to people:

if you are a geek/hacker...
if you like hacking around, retrogaming, breaking and fixing stuff, be unique and go the independant way, get a GP2X, you'll love it

If you are a commercial drone....
if you hate messing around programs, the latest boring games or if exploring the very depth of a system doesn't sound that fun to you, go be sony's 817ch and get a PSP, you're the kind of people they're looking for (just kidding there, but you will like the PSP better).

Actually, a PSP + 1 GB Memory Stick and a GP2X + 1 GB SD Card + High quality recharable batteries costs almost the same price (more so if the PSP's price does drop to $150).

another quick question...is it easy to overclock? because a lot of people have been saying you need to do that to run stuff like neo geo, even though the video on www.gp2x.co.uk shows games like metal slug running fine :S

It is very easy to overclock (look for overclock in the file archives), and you don't need to do so to play neo geo .. though of course you can if you want to (i don't and its perfectly playable..)

JaqMs posted on Aug 27 2006 at 09:37 AM said:
Actually, a PSP + 1 GB Memory Stick and a GP2X + 1 GB SD Card + High quality recharable batteries costs almost the same price (more so if the PSP's price does drop to $150).
These are the lowest prices I could find for these items new.

$200 PSP Core System + $50 1GB Memory Stick Duo=$250

$170 GP2X from PlayAsia + $20 1GB Memory Card + $20 2500 NiMH Energizer w/ Charger=$210

About a $40 difference.

Don't forget the shipping. I'm not sure what it is for Play-asia though.

the newer batches of psps (those that are supposedly cheaper) wil have new motherboards that mean no modchip and no downgrading, plus they'll probs be fw2.71 or higher, so no homebrew.

As alway's that will all be cracked too in time. If you want more emulators with more support/ much bigger community, then PSP is your handheld- just try and get an earlier version from ebay, or elsewhere, and save yourself some headaches. Psp looks and feels like much more in your hands too if that's a condiseration of yours. The Gp2x feels like a cheap toy. Don't get me wrong, I have one and like it, just doesn't get a whole lot of time- least until a new psx emu comes around.

-Ace- posted on Aug 27 2006 at 03:01 PM said:
As alway's that will all be cracked too in time. If you want more emulators with more support/ much bigger community, then PSP is your handheld- just try and get an earlier version from ebay, or elsewhere, and save yourself some headaches. Psp looks and feels like much more in your hands too if that's a condiseration of yours. The Gp2x feels like a cheap toy. Don't get me wrong, I have one and like it, just doesn't get a whole lot of time- least until a new psx emu comes around.
If the PSP is better in every way, what do you use your gp2x for?

Back