I Need Headphones / Headset Recommendations, It Seems

lulzfish

Pandora Defense Squad
Website
troyanonymous.homelinux.com
I'm trying to keep this short.
My headset has broken.
I don't think it was my fault, but I might have crushed it under my laptop while they were in my backpack. It won't happen again.

I want someone to recommend a headset that won't break during normal use, maybe something with an all-metal frame. None of this "metal core" bullshit where there's a strip of metal in the headband. I want them to be either be thick, tough-ass plastic, or metal, from one earcup to the other.

A microphone would be nice, so I can use it in TF2 or for VoiP calls.
An in-line volume control is not necessary. I liked the one on my old headset, but I think I can survive without it, and I want these to be cheap.
I don't really give a shit about sound quality, as long as they're fairly loud and there's no risk of one ear becoming loud than another. Any kind of headset is probably vastly better than the earbuds I'm using, and comfort and durability are much more important.

Also, they need to be around-ear so I can have passive noise-cancelling. Active noise cancelling is too much to mess with.

I can probably spend around $100, but I want them to last several years. If you have video of a passenger vehicle running them over, that would be cool.

tl;dr:
* Cheap
* Around-ear
* 3.5 mm jack
* Microphone is nice
* Tough
* Better sound quality than earbuds, but not so good quality that an audiophile would be arguing about it somewhere.

The store I work at has headphones for £20 that have an inline mic. With discount that makes them £16. They're probably not the best quality, but they're cheap enough to replace if they break. I hear they're good quality, but I've no personal experience. You can get them in blue, green, purple or white.

If you like, I can buy them and ship them over to you at cost price - just putting it out there.

content.png

Attachments

• content.png
    content.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 114
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DGTGNG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002DGTGNQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VQ54ZWGZQMVM2NDW844

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DGTGO0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002DGTGNQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VQ54ZWGZQMVM2NDW844

with mic: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC151-Headset-Cancelling-Control/dp/B000NOR89Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280546154&sr=8-1

I'm a Sennheiser freak, but they make amazing sets.

SONY MDR-410LP

http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/headphones-headsets/sony-mdr-410lp/

Nova said:
The store I work at has headphones for £20 that have an inline mic. With discount that makes them £16. They're probably not the best quality, but they're cheap enough to replace if they break. I hear they're good quality, but I've no personal experience. You can get them in blue, green, purple or white.

If you like, I can buy them and ship them over to you at cost price - just putting it out there.

content.png

Bought them yesterday, with discount it actually came to £14. Amazing quality for such a cheap set of headphones with mic. But yeah like you say, they're over-ear so would be useless for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
fischju2000 said:
I'm a Sennheiser freak, but they make amazing sets.
R.B said:
SONY MDR-410LP
(naw)mcx said:
Koss PortaPro.
Lifetime warranty too.
The Sennheiser ones look like they have plastic in the same place mine cracked, although they might be constructed better.
The MDR is over-ear, I'm looking for around-ear.
The PortaPros are, too, but some of Koss' other headphones might work. The warranty is only for defects, so I don't think they'll do anything for "mysterious fracture appearing".

For reference, here's what happened to my old headphones: (wow my camera's focus was way off)
Headphones.jpg
I'm looking for similar headphones, but that won't crack for no clear reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back