I Need help finding a folding Tray/Board?

FaeMinx

Rainbow Liberation Instigation
Basically my issue is this:

My only real gripe with my Surface Pro 2 (apart from wishing for an extra usb port, and an easy way to open it up) is that I cannot use it like a normal laptop in bed - it has no hinge between keyboard and screen.

What I am looking for is some kind of small tray that folds in the middle - but has a really strong hinge - needing a fair amount of force to open and close.

The ideal dimensions would be a tray with minimal lip, measuring 20cm by 28cm per side.
The bulge of the hinge could be a problem - if there were a 28cm clear space with a strong hinge on either side, that would be ideal.

Alternatively, if there were no lip at all, the dimensions could be smaller - I.e. roughly 12cm by 20cm per side - provided the bulge of the hinge were on the outside - the entire 20cm length could be one strong hinge.

I don't know how to search for what I am looking for online... any help would be appreciated.

P.s. If a larger tray could be found, with a really strong hinge - I could always cut it down to size.

If no such thing exists... recommendations of what sort of hinges I must buy in order to make my own folding tray?

Does it have to be folding? Maybe try something like this: https://blog.xkcd.com/2009/04/13/the-pursuit-of-laziness/

I'm wanting something that is compact and flat when stored so it can travel in the same shoulder bag all my other Surface Pro stuff goes in.

The purpose of it is so I can have my Surface resting on my belly while I am laying down in bed... with a strong enough hinge I could adjust the angle of the screen to suit.

I already have a Heath Robinson temporary solution - I cut off the side of a corrugated cardboard box to serve as a lightweight flat surface... problem is it is too bulky to carry in the bag, and I only have two screen positions due to the Surface Pro 2 having this limitation... I often have to stick a pillow under the board to get the right angle. (and now there is this whole precarious construction, making getting in and out of bed a pain).

I'm really trying to find/make an accessory that would address this handicap in the Surface Pro design - fold away the kickstand and give it an adjustable hinge just like a real laptop.

Do you even use it as a tablet sometime?
Otherwise it might be better to use a notebook?
Pondering on the folding tray/board: do you need to adjust the angle often or do you think there is a "perfect" angle once found mustn't be adjusted anymore? (in the later case I might have an idea.. have to take photos)

Build something like this:
Code:
        /S
       / S
      /  S
     /   S
    /    S
   /     S
  /      S
 T      XS
XXXXXXXXXXX
legend:
X = wooden board
T = clamp
S = your surface pro tablet
/ = thread

Add a plank close to one end of a wooden board that keeps your tablet from slipping towards the middle of the board (alterrnatively mill a notch into the board that does the same).
Attach one or two clamps to the other end of the board and find a way to attach a thread to the top corner(s) of your tablet (e.g. piece of a pouch?).
Then you can belay the other end of the thread to the clamp, which can be easily adjusted in length (and therefore tablet angle) and still holds the thread very well.

Of course the angle between the ground (not the board!) and your tablet needs to be >90 degree for this to work. (there was no good way showing this in ascii art and I suck at actual drawing).
You could also mirror this construction on the far side of the board to get an actually firm construction.

Alternatively, speaking of notebooks/laptops, get one! It doesn't matter if it's old or broken. All you want to do is use it's display unit as a stand for your tablet. You could even glue a strip of velcro to its display if you have a suitable pouch for your tablet that can attach to it.

Do you even use it as a tablet sometime?

Only when I'm using it as Cintiq Companion alternative - I.e. A digital drawing pad.

Most of the time it is stationary, plugged in, with an attached power cover keyboard... recently it now has an external Hard drive plugged into it's USB port as well.

Otherwise it might be better to use a notebook?

Why? This is a fully functional i5 computer with 8gb ram ... it's actually the most powerful computer I've owned apart from the graphics card. I do everything on it. My desktop is collecting dust.
I got it for it's portability - everything I could possibly need for it lives in a compact shoulder bag that goes with me everywhere.

All it is missing is a hinge for the keyboard.

Why would I go and buy a whole new computer just for this one issue?

Pondering on the folding tray/board: do you need to adjust the angle often or do you think there is a "perfect" angle once found mustn't be adjusted anymore? (in the later case I might have an idea.. have to take photos)

A perfect angle would probably work... the angles available when using the kickstand tilt the screen too far away from me when I am laying down... they were designed for desk and lap usage.

Build something like this:
Code:
        /S
       / S
      /  S
     /   S
    /    S
   /     S
  /      S
 T      XS
XXXXXXXXXXX
legend:
X = wooden board
T = clamp
S = your surface pro tablet
/ = thread

Add a plank close to one end of a wooden board that keeps your tablet from slipping towards the middle of the board (alterrnatively mill a notch into the board that does the same).
Attach one or two clamps to the other end of the board and find a way to attach a thread to the top corner(s) of your tablet (e.g. piece of a pouch?).
Then you can belay the other end of the thread to the clamp, which can be easily adjusted in length (and therefore tablet angle) and still holds the thread very well.

Of course the angle between the ground (not the board!) and your tablet needs to be >90 degree for this to work. (there was no good way showing this in ascii art and I suck at actual drawing).
You could also mirror this construction on the far side of the board to get an actually firm construction.

That could work for fixing the angle when laying down... though the keyboard would still be unsupported - necessitating a longer board, and then we are almost back to square one because I want this thing to fit in my shoulder bag.

Alternatively, speaking of notebooks/laptops, get one! It doesn't matter if it's old or broken. All you want to do is use it's display unit as a stand for your tablet. You could even glue a strip of velcro to its display if you have a suitable pouch for your tablet that can attach to it.

Hmmm... I will ponder on this... gutting a broken laptop so my SP2 + keyboard can fit inside... If I could find one just the right size this may be an option, but I am worried about the bulk.

Sulu is on the right track, but may be overshooting strength needed - boards and complexity - manufactured hinges.

Take two lexan clipboards. Remove the clips. Create a hinge between them using duct tape or even packing tape - position boards with a 5mm gap to ensure hinge flexes, tape both sides. With proper spacing, the hinge should be wide enough to allow it to 'close' flat.

Find some twine or paracord. Measure it's outside diameter - find a drill bit to match.

Drill two holes in the outside front edge of what will be the bottom piece. Notch the top piece toward the edge - can be done with same bit in a drill press so that the hole overlaps the edge by 1/4 it's radius.

Use the twine/paracord to connect the top/leading edges by sliding it into the notches. One knot keeps the line from pulling back up through the base. Multiple knots in the upper section for the notches can be used as adjusters so that it can work for multiple angles.

If having the unit flip over backwards is a concern, make the bottom clipboard piece 'legal' sized and hinge part way back so that it has a longer base than 'lid'.

Hope that was descriptive enough.

I like it, by why lexan clipboards? I think the usual ones would be more durable unless exposed to lots of water, which doesn't go well with electronics.

I have an aluminum covered clipboard thing that could be put into service for this task with a little modding. Maybe see if you already have something that can be used, or try a thrift store for parts.

I had the wooden board in there mainly because you need something to counter the weight of the tablet, so the whole construction doesn't tip over.
But maybe Grench is right and I'm just overshooting this. I've seen laptop sleeves that can fold open in a way, so that you can use the laptop without actually taking it out of the sleeve. And I believe many keyboard/sleeve combos that are available for tablets work in a similar way.
If the keyboard to your tablet is heavy enough to prevent the whole thing from tipping over, then maybe sewing or gluing one or two threads to that sleeve is enough. If it isn't heavy enough, then fixing a small but heavy object to the lower front edge should solve that (being an EDC fan, I have a wrench or a relatively flat swiss knife in mind right now, but I'm sure there are better options - maybe there's a power bank with a fitting form).

A couple of additional ideas:
If you need it at an acute angle, pen tubes, or something fancier in your choice of metal, around the cord can keep it from closing. A couple strips of velcro on the tablet and upper board can keep it from falling at those angles. The tubes can fit along the sides of the boards when closed, or if you want to get really fancy you can cut some slots for them to go into, and you can add another piece of velcro to the other board to hold the whole thing shut. If you cut keyhole shaped holes for the cord you can easily switch between your preset angles (just be sure to put whatever method you use to attach the cord to the lower board far enough back that it won't interfere with typing).

The most important part is that you decorate it in a way you enjoy. I would use stencils or stickers, then drag it through some gravel. You might want to paint it with the colors you use for the stuff you sell, or draw cute stuff on it.

For our workshops I build this:
https://www.mclien.de/gold/index.ph..._path=impression&crnt_img=085.jpg&crnt_num=26
https://www.mclien.de/gold/index.ph...ath=impression&crnt_img=110_h.jpg&crnt_num=31

The bottom and the back are linked with a hinge for furniture, the sides can be pulled upward and the removed sideways. then you have the foodprint of the bas and 3 layers of the wood to transport. I guess that can be improved for the surface.
If you give me the measurements of it, i guess I can design that one and give you whatever you like better: the files to lasercut it yourself or the lasercutted assembled thingy
[doublepost=1484736086,1484735927][/doublepost]
Why? This is a fully functional i5 computer with 8gb ram ... it's actually the most powerful computer I've owned apart from the graphics card. I do everything on it. My desktop is collecting dust.
I got it for it's portability - everything I could possibly need for it lives in a compact shoulder bag that goes with me everywhere.

All it is missing is a hinge for the keyboard.
My thought was a shorter jump. A surface with a hinge is a notebook to me...

Yeah, didn't mean "buy here", rather "look at those for inspiration".
Bah!
[doublepost=1484784951,1484755796][/doublepost]@FaeMinx, first I want to reiterate starting cheap to figure out what works for you. I haven't been actively thinking about this, but I am getting random inspiration for improvements.

If the tape works well you can probably upgrade to a real hinge (lots of options from plain cheap stuff, to fancy ones, and even antiques or otherwise reusing old ones) with rivets or other fasteners. Maybe you can find a way to use some sort of cord, which I think might be interesting if it works (might require drilling additional holes).

Depending on the thickness and durability of the boards you use, and how you want to implement everything, you might be able to cut a slot to catch the bottom edge of the tablet for extra stability (this keeps it thin, unlike using something as a stop). I can't describe it very well, so I can try to make you a picture if it isn't clear what I mean.

I still say rain and electronics aren't a good mix, however you might want to seal it somehow if you anticipate it getting a little most at times. You might be able to add some sort of flexible material to the sides (maybe some colorful scraps, if you have any) to make a sun shield. It shouldn't be too difficult to add a little overhang at the top, like a hat. :D That might also help keep it drier with light sprinkling. With a more water resistant material it might help with real rain, and you could construct it in such a way that it can wrap around everything to keep it a little more dry if you get sick in the rain. It also should help keep some prying eyes off the screen. (I am pretty sure I have seen commercial products like this.)

Since I have gone that far with the idea, might as well add a mention of making it like one of those strap on laptop desks. I think that is where I borrowed the sun shade idea from.

Whatever you make or buy, I am curious to hear about or see the end results.

Back