i need help woth firmware

angrypants

GP OG
I installed the combofw.zip firmware from darkfadders site and everything went fine with the installation. However the firmware itself was not what I had expected. I thought it was going to be a thing that would allow me to run the normal firmware as well as have the option to run pac rom. From what I can tell it is just pac rom and has replaced my original firmware all together. I would like to switch back to my normal firmware if possible because pacrom is a bit less userfriendly than I though it would be. Is there some way to access the normal firmware with this firmware that I have installed or not. Also I can't get it to connect to my pc. I got the command line linker from his site and I'm having usb errors no matter what I do. I also downloaded another usb driver from his site and I can't get it to install correctly. I plug in the gp32 and in the hardware manager it brings it up as a usb device with an exclamation mark on it saying that its not configured right. Then I go to install the usb driver from darkfadders site and I choose the driver that I want to use and windows says that it has found a driver that will work better for this device and won't let me install the driver from darkfadders site. So how do I get pacrom working right or find a trick to use the normal firmware or replace the firmware that I have on there right now.

What you wanted was Mr. Spiv's Multi-Firmware. If there's a way to get the one you're using to boot the original firmware I don't know, but here's a link to the latest firmware (its from Darkfader's site):

http://darkfader.net/gp32/files/fw157e.zip

Here's a link to Mr. Spiv's site: http://www.deadcoderssociety.tk/ The firware you want is multifw.zip - under GP32 - Downloads. It lets you choose between a PC-Link option, booting directly to windups, Pacrom, and the firmware above (needed to run commercial games, I don't use it for anything else).

As to getting your GP32 connected, your existing USB drivers should in theory still work right along with the normal PC-Link. Wish I could tell you what's wrong. But these links will give you the firmware files you need if you can either 1) get your GP32 connected or 2) borrow/buy a SMC card reader.

Good luck!

the main problem seems to be the USB connection. Its not reading the gp32 correctly and I can't figure out how to get it to work right. Has anyone had this problem when after installing new firmware you lose the ability to sync the gp32 to the pc.

I realize that. I installed the multi-fw and can connect both through the one in the main menu and using the official firmware option. Not having played with pacrom much at all I don't know about that.

I was trying to suggest a way to get back to the official firmware, although I probably wasn't very clear. Download the official firmware, use an SMC card reader to copy the file (and fw.fxe if you deleted it) and reflash. Hopefully someone who has experienced your problem will post with a solution and save you from having to try this (especially if it require buying a reader). But that's my best suggestion at the moment.

Again... good luck.

Thanks for the replys but I figured it out and all is well now. Actually everything is more than well, everything is pretty kick ass. I had some problems but I finally got mr.spiv's multi firmware going. Pacrom, win-ups and the original firmware are all there and all seem to work very well. Woo hoo, I am glad that I did it and its better than ever but flashing firmware is not for thr fiant of heart. However if you are willing to take the plung go for spiv's multi firmware its pretty damn impresive.

Back