I Need Some Advice About My Next Gaming Console :)

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Hi,

I'd like to buy a new gaming console, and I don't care which generation it is :)

I'm mostly interested in the following genres: FPS, SHMUPS, 2D/3D Plateformers, Arcade games, Racing games, Classic adventures, Classic RPGs, Puzzles, Management and RTS.

I wouldn't mind some homebrews, emulators and indie games too ;)

Any suggestion about which console I should buy ?

Bye and thanks !

Magic Sam

Dreamcast. No question.

In addition to the very excellent commercial games made for the system, the Dreamcast also has a sizable collection of homebrew titles, and will emulate anything up to NeoGeo.

The consoles themselves are cheap, but some of the games can be pretty pricey, even used. If you're not terribly concerned with legit copies of games, the Dreamcast will play backups without the need for any modding. Backups can be acquired from the usual sources.

If you're willing to actually mod something to get full functionality, an original Xbox is also something to consider. You can either soft or hard mod one without much difficulty and have a very powerful console with a huge game library and excellent homebrew / emulator support.

A computer makes a great game console! You have games of all different types as well as games from all different time periods. You also get a keyboard and mouse or if you would rather not use a keyboard or mouse you can get a USB controller.

Thanks for your quick replies :)

@ Chip: I've been considering the Dreamcast option A LOT these last few days :) Do you know a good place where I could find good quality Dreamcasts ? Play Asia, Divineo, EBay ?

@ zxxgp: I already have a computer, but it runs Linux, which is not the best choice when it comes to commercial games ;) I run a lot of games on it though, thanks to happypenguin.org and some indie developers ;)

Magic Sam

Magic Sam said:
Do you know a good place where I could find good quality Dreamcasts ? Play Asia, Divineo, EBay ?
Both consoles I've bought were on Ebay. A quick buy-it-now search shows quite a few available with all the cables and a controller or two for between $30 and $40. It's a bit of a crap shoot what kind of condition it will be in, but it's only $30, so take a shot :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You should look around car boot sales. I got a Dreamcast with all the leads, 3 controllers and a game for £2 a little while ago off one.

@ Chip: I just remembered that the Dreamcast uses Windows CE <_<

I don't like Microsoft products that much, so how is Windows CE doing on Dreamcast, is it stable ? And is it invisible enough for me to forget that it's in my console ? ;)

I'm not an Ebay user, I use priceminister.com instead (which is quite the same thing actually) and Dreamcast price ranges from €32 to €300, so I could take a shot :)

Magic Sam

Magic Sam said:
@ Chip: I just remembered that the Dreamcast uses Windows CE <_<

I don't like Microsoft products that much, so how is Windows CE doing on Dreamcast, is it stable ? And is it invisible enough for me to forget that it's in my console ? ;)

I'm not an Ebay user, I use priceminister.com instead (which is quite the same thing actually) and Dreamcast price ranges from €32 to €300, so I could take a shot :)

Magic Sam
Only a couple of games use it, and even then it's not noticeable I don't think. The rest of the time it's just the Dreamcast's OS.

dreamcast is awesome but a modded xbox is even cooler in terms of emulation. If you want nice and shiny homebrew the dreamcast is better in my opinion as there is so much polished stuff out for it.

I've just bought my first Dreamcast :)

It is said to be in very good shape, with a controller and all the cables, for €45 plus shipping.

I hope it'll work fine...

In your opinion, what games should I try first ?

Magic Sam

Ikaruga is pretty expensive though, its best to just play a backup of that.

You also might want to try Crazy Taxi and Shenmue if you like that kind of game.

Magic Sam said:
I've just bought my first Dreamcast :)

It is said to be in very good shape, with a controller and all the cables, for €45 plus shipping.

I hope it'll work fine...

In your opinion, what games should I try first ?

Magic Sam
So many great games on Dreamcast but must have games imo are Soulcaliber, Rez, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Marvel vs capcom 1 and 2, Powerstone, Shenmue and Jet Set Radio.

there is a couple of fun fighters out there... try rival schools and the powerstone series. Those are a lot of fun with friends. Also check out the beats of rage port. Lotsa fun too.

If you fancy some good old emulator action, get yourself a torrent packing roms and menus and all that in on download. There is lots of good bundles out there that you can just burn and enjoy.

Seems a lot for a Dreamcast, doesn't it? When my first one broke, I got a replacement from Cash Converters for £10. Maybe things have changed since my day, ah well.

Anyway:

Start off with Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Chu Chu Rocket, the two Sonic Adventures and the two Power Stones.

Then get into the super-good stuff like Skies of Arcadia, Ikaruga, Cannon Spike, Project Justice, Space Channel 5, Alien Front Online, Maken X, OutTrigger, all that kind of stuff.

And so on, keep going until you see nothing but little blue spirals in front of your eyes whenever you're not playing Dreamcast games.

yaustar said:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/03/dre...d-shooters.html

Thanks for the link :) French readers should have a look at shmup.com which is a good source of information too.

TwoHeadedBoy said:
And so on, keep going until you see nothing but little blue spirals in front of your eyes whenever you're not playing Dreamcast games.
I've received everything this morning: the console works fine but it was dirty so I had to clean it a bit. The controller is an unofficial Madcatz one :( The VMU and the rumble pack work fine too. And I expect to receive Crazy Taxi and a new official controller tomorrow :)

Bye and thanks, Magic Sam.

Have a look on Ebay a couple of months ago I bought 4 brand new in the box official VMUs for £2 each and two new in box official controllers for a tenner each (could have got used ones for less but prefer to pay for unused).

If you can find one get your DC chipped as well, some games are stupid money but the chips are very rare now for decent one.

I recommend you get a Neo Geo Pocket colour next B)

Back