Icons Load Slooooowly

Dozer

Efram the retarded rabbit
Website
lawrencewithaw.tumblr.com
I'm running windows 98 se with bblean as my shell, but some program icons (doesn't seem to be shortcuts) load slowly as hell and lock up the pc while they are loading.

I've recently formated the pc and didn't have this problem at all. I've tried google but nothing.

Anyone got any ideas what could be going on?

Right click your desktop (any empty area will do) goto" Active desktop" (the first option in the menu) and remove the tick next to "Show web contents"

Trooper

As I'm using bblean I have nothing on my desktop. It's only in explorer. Also, some programs (BSplayer and alcohol 120%). I don't know if it's coincidence, but the icons on the exe files for these programs also load slowly.

It never happened before I had to format :S.

And finty, right click the desktop and it's in the options there somewhere under one of the tabs if you're using windows 98.

To refresh the icons in the system change the size of icons in Start - Control Panel - Display - Appearance, click apply then change the size back.

If that doesn't work, restart in Safe Mode and delete the ShellIconCache file from the Windows folder (you'll need to enable see hidden files to see it).

Woo, thanks. A defrag boosted the load times and icons work fine now thanks to refreshing. Thanks guys :D.

And windows 98 because... well it's a shit pc anyway. I might upgrade to 2000 if it's not too much hassle.

Also, might as well ask in here.

I have 2 harddisks on here, a 6gig one where I put my must have programs, the shell and the OS, and an 80 gig one for everything else.

Thing is, the 6 gig harddisk is slower, and as the 80 gig is slave, it defaults to the lower rpm.

Would it be easy to keep all the shit on the 80 gig harddisk and install the os onto that? Then have the 6gig as a slave for maybe photos or something?

Thanks for helping me fix that though guys :D. I don't feel like kicking the shit into my pc quite so much now :).

@Dozer, Do you have anything on the 80gig drive yet ?.
If not, You could ghost the 6gig drive (with OS) to the 80gig drive.

If there is anything on the 80gig drive, Then that makes things a little more difficult. You would need partition magic (or some other partitioning software) to split the 80gig drive in two, Then ghost the 6gig drive to the first partition of the 80gig drive (keeping the existing files on second partition). Then swap the ide cables around (master/slave) and boot with the 80gig drive, Defrag it and format the 6gig drive ready for use.

Trooper

Thanks trooper, seems easy enough. Don't I need to set the partition to be bootable or something? Just something I sort of remember from the initial install.

Seems easy enough though :). Thanks dude.

Windows98 is horrible at memory and hard drive management. You should do a thorough scandisk (not just the quick one) and a defrag at least once a month. The consequences can be dire...my partition died and I had to reformat because I only did it maybe once every 2-3 months.

Dozer posted on Jul 27 2004 at 05:36 PM said:
Woo, thanks. A defrag boosted the load times and icons work fine now thanks to refreshing. Thanks guys :D.

And windows 98 because... well it's a shit pc anyway. I might upgrade to 2000 if it's not too much hassle.

Also, might as well ask in here.

I have 2 harddisks on here, a 6gig one where I put my must have programs, the shell and the OS, and an 80 gig one for everything else.

Thing is, the 6 gig harddisk is slower, and as the 80 gig is slave, it defaults to the lower rpm.

Would it be easy to keep all the shit on the 80 gig harddisk and install the os onto that? Then have the 6gig as a slave for maybe photos or something?

Thanks for helping me fix that though guys :D. I don't feel like kicking the shit into my pc quite so much now :).
NOt to do with the RPM, it's to do with the access mode. If one is UltraDMA (UDMA) 66 and the other is UDMA 133, they will both run at 66. Besat thing to do is to get your OS on your 80Gig drive, and make that a master to your Cd (or DVD) drive on the second IDE channel - or dump it totally.

You may find quite a performance increase if you get rid of your 6Gig drive if your BIOS can handle UDMA100 and above. Give it a try....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back