Idea for more donations

Timstertoo

Just something that popped in my head and wanted to throw it out here.

Lot's of us have talents that could be really helpfull to others. We have programmers, web designers, graphic designers etc etc.

How about we make our own little freelancer just for forumites and the proceeds go into the donation pot. 

For instance I know my way around WordPress a bit. If someone has a blog or WordPress website and needs some small adaption made to the theme but doesn't know how I'd be more than happy to do that and if he/she then donates a bit that's payment enough for me. Also we just got a contract to build a big webshop (50k+ items) in Drupal. We have little to no experience in Drupal. If we're completely stuck and someone experienced would be able to even point us in the right direction instead of having to Google-Fu for a couple of hours that would be worth a donation. 

I guess lots of things could be thought of, these are just a couple of examples of the top of my head. 

I think it will have to be short simple jobs, couple of hours at the most. So the amounts and the jobs stay small. (i.e. can you move this picture here and make the font of that a bit smaller and I'll donate € 10,-)

The way I see it it could firstly help more people getting a Pandora but it will also increase community interaction and who knows what will grow out of it.

Before getting stuck in the details main thing would be would there be a general interest for this? We'd need buyers and sellers of course!

I actually just got offered a job writing Javascript widgets. Only problem? I've never used Javascript. Id be happy to pass on the job to someone else and the money (maybe $50 or so) could be passed on to the donation fund

How do the hell you guys get a job without knowing how to do it? What kinds of employers/companies are these? So you guys are middle man or something? That's the only reason I can think of...

Is there an updated count as to how many Craig preorders are left?

How do the hell you guys get a job without knowing how to do it? What kinds of employers/companies are these? So you guys are middle man or something? That's the only reason I can think of...
You would be surprised what a little BSing and a false sense of confidence can get you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relax, it was just an example for this thread. We could build it from scratch if we wanted to and the customer would want to pay. (Which would be stupid as there are things like Drupal)

We've worked wit Drupal before just not recently. Most projects we do WordPress is a better fit and we have much more experience there and a lot of plugins we built ready for faster, and thus cheaper for the customer, development. Always custom themes built from scratch, fully responsive etc etc.

This project wouldn't work as well in WordPress as it would work in Drupal because of the size of the database and the level of detail customers should be able to filter and search. And some other considerations but will spare you the wall of text. So we chose Drupal.

I'll post a link when we are done so you can see what crap middlemen we are ;)

The thread is about the possibility of helping each other and thus getting more donations, I was just trying to give both an example in which I could help and would pay for help. We are not going to have to hire outside help to finish the project. Jeez. Way to misinterpret a suggestion to help out other pre orders. (just ordered my unit Woop! Woop!)

So ok, stupid idea, thread over.

No I did not misunderstand your good intention.  I was just asking the question of employers hiring people that can't do the job (not you of course) in your example.  Ok now I know it's just an example.  Everything's cool :D

A $50 programming job isn't so much an actual job as it's some person he knows asking for something with a small cash incentive. Since the money being paid is surely contingent on the work actually being done I don't think there's much of a risk. I'd see this as more of a bounty than a job.

i like the idea. ppl who do the actual work should be allowed to choose if and how much they'd like to donate, tho.

iirc, there already is some sort of job offer/help wanted section around here. i doubt this will see a lot of traffic, but i do believe that it could prove as a valuable tool to encourage cooperation. helping each other out makes all of us better.

A $50 programming job isn't so much an actual job as it's some person he knows asking for something with a small cash incentive. Since the money being paid is surely contingent on the work actually being done I don't think there's much of a risk. I'd see this as more of a bounty than a job.
Its for a University so the money would come from the department stipend.

i like the idea. ppl who do the actual work should be allowed to choose if and how much they'd like to donate, tho.

iirc, there already is some sort of job offer/help wanted section around here. i doubt this will see a lot of traffic, but i do believe that it could prove as a valuable tool to encourage cooperation. helping each other out makes all of us better.
I think the jobs should be short and sweet. Bit like Freelancer meets Stack Exchange.

We could have one thread with resumes and only resumes and another thread with job offers, discussion, feedback etc. Keeping it all out in the open.

Main thing is do odd jobs for a bit of donation cash. If it becomes too big the chance of people becoming upset is too big.

Maybe best way to put is that the amount and necessity that the job gets done should be so low that even if it's an unusable piece of crap you get its still fine to donate.

Maybe best way to put is that the amount and necessity that the job gets done should be so low that even if it's an unusable piece of crap you get its still fine to donate.
if that's what your after, you probably better just go ahead, do it yourself, and dont bother anyone else. there's three benefits in this:

1. you get results faster

2. you are in control of "how crap" the outcome will be

3. you learn along the way

Back