Idea to maintain community after P2

EssoAir

Ok, lets assume for a second that the P2 is x86 and has Windows support out of the box. That means that LOTS more people would be interested in buying and using it. So, basically the next OQO (and the first actually /good/ version of the device) finally hits the market. Presumably, lots of people will buy it, and therefor join the forums. I wouldnt be surprised if the forum grows a significant amount in a short time frame. This may lead to a less unified community.

So, how do I propose we solve this?

Well the following isn't a solution for everyone, but a selfish one that I feel justified in presenting. What if there was a hidden section of the forum that was only accessable to those that have accounts from /before/ the launch of the P2? That way all the people (yes, even MonsterCameron and God "Damnit" Ganiri) * can continue to connect without interference of the new people that weren't here for then P1. So, we could have the section that maintains our little group the way it is, and then have the rest be accessible to anyone and everyone interested in the P2 (or a used P1)

Not sure if you all think this is a good idea, but I really dont want to loose what we have here. This community is so great as it is, but a community like this simply cannot scale to meet greater demand.

* Please don't write jokes / examples at others' expense - Binky

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop writing bullshit.

Mods please.
This isnt bullshit. This is a serious concern of mine. I'm happy to listen to differing opinions, but I dont appreciate your condescending tone.

But seriously, why do you not like this idea? Id love to hear your thoughts

Holy cow! This wasnt supposed to be non-sense. I really wasnt trying to offend anyone here.

Feel free to lock this then, I'll bring this up again later when people aren't so up in arms

Stop writing bullshit.

Mods please.
This isnt bullshit. This is a serious concern of mine. I'm happy to listen to differing opinions, but I dont appreciate your condescending tone.

1) You think a x86 pandora is going to run WINDOWS OUT OF THE BOX... so stop posting threads!

2) The community is empowered by simply being civil... there are obviously cliques and people who are regularly posting in every freaking thread (me)... but the community can grow.. people of merit will be welcomed with open arms.

If I left, nothing would change one way or the other.... but on the other hand we should always welcome more people

I don't think you really understand, there's no way Pandora 2 will ship with Windows. So long as it's something people have to pay for themselves and then rely on unofficial guides to support there will be few people doing it. It'll be like Hackintoshes. And individuals going off the beaten path with their devices won't hurt the community, just like those people using other distros aren't hurting it now.

And nowadays, the "LOTS more people" you talk about knows: iPhone, Samsung, Android.

Stop writing bullshit.

Mods please.

You think a x86 pandora is going to run WINDOWS OUT OF THE BOX....
I don't think you really understand, there's no way Pandora 2 will ship with Windows. So long as it's something people have to pay for themselves and then rely on unofficial guides to support there will be few people doing it. It'll be like Hackintoshes. And individuals going off the beaten path with their devices won't hurt the community, just like those people using other distros aren't hurting it now.
SORRY!!!! Thats not at all what I meant. I mean has the /ability/ to run windows (as discussed, some x86 processors dont - this was supposed to be a hypothetical where the P2 had an SOC with that capability)

OMG! Now i understand. That was not what I was trying to say. Obviously it wont ship with Windows (licensing and stuff)

Right, well I said what I think about that. I don't see having the ability to install Windows as something that would split the community, I think few people would do it and the ones that do won't disturb things.

No need to make some secret society. If it really becomes a thing it'll warrant other forums here or maybe somewhere else. The only way it'd be a legitimate concern is if far fewer people (than current Pandora owners) want to use the device as intended because of it, and I just don't see that happening.

Ultimately most people will stay with what the thing ships with and what the official support is for and what developers target. That is, unless that solution is really broken and the company does a bad job actually doing anything with it, like with Dingoo.

People install Windows on Gaming rigs all the time. I dont think downloading and installing drivers the installing an OS is /that/ difficult for the average joe.

People install Windows on Gaming rigs all the time. I dont think downloading and installing drivers the installing an OS is /that/ difficult for the average joe.
I totally think it's that difficult, when you say "just download it" you're talking about getting a cracked version I presume. This is something that the average joe simply does not do, he uses Windows because it came on his device.

I see pple everyday in the new shop i work in, they have absolutely no idea what is running on their computer.

Years before, they do, now they don't.

It's not even licensing and stuff, _nobody cares about windows anymore_.
Nobody? I beg to differ. Microsoft activated over 100 million copies of Windows 8 in 2012 and have sold lots of PCs with it pre-installed since then. I think there is a lot of market potential for Windows in a NDS form factor.

But those people wouldn't be interested in SuperZaxxon or any other Linux distro. So while it may be great people to sell the P2 to, it might not make for a great community.

I totally think it's that difficult, when you say "just download it" you're talking about getting a cracked version I presume. This is something that the average joe simply does not do, he uses Windows because it came on his device.
download DRIVERS not a cracked operating system

M$ can manipulate any number they want, people buy UNIX phones, that's the reality.

ARM UNIX phones.

This isn't actually a real problem.. if we have a community around the hardware - Giving people more options is never going to cause us any problems.

The reason I love the OP is because it never places any limits on us... we own our units and can do whatever we want.

We could have a subforum for Windows users and windows software/support. and a subforum for official linux firmware software and support..

Back