IGN acquires Humble Bundle.

It's not as if they'd be selling much DRM-free games anymore anyway.
My backup is up-to-date, so whatever...

should I?
The only complaint that I saw that might have any substance to it is that they could artificially inflate the ratings of games being sold on Humble Bundle. I don't believe that to be a likely outcome, but it's a possibility to look out for.

On my own opinion, it's just cementing what I'd been saying for a while: the pay-what-you-want structure isn't viable long term on its own. This has been obvious for a while, as Humble Bundle keeps adding more fixed payment features. I'm somewhat encouraged, because at least supplementally it has been working, and to get the eye of a big player means there is some value, but I had idealistic dreams of pay-what-you-want actually being a permanent commercial success, not for all markets but at least for digital ones.

Is the Humble Store pay what you want? I thought that had definite prices attached to everything, although frequent sales mean you can just about pay what you want if you're willing to wait. The Humble Indie and otherwise bundles were the thing that got them notice in the first place, but I don't think that's their main business any more.

Is the Humble Store pay what you want?
Humble Bundle's were what they started with, and it's been pay what you want from the beginning, with "pay more than the average to get more stuff". After a while they introduced the "pay more than this fixed amount to get even more stuff" which was the first clue that they weren't making as much money as they'd hoped. The second was when they started the humble store. This implies that the "pay what you want" paradigm isn't commercially viable on it's own: they needed the bonus amount on the bundles to force the prices higher, and they needed the store for more consistent income. Humble Bundle, in my opinion, did everything right, and if they couldn't make it work then I just don't think it can work, at least not long term. I don't feel any fear of them going away or anything like that, they've fine tuned it to the point that some company wanted to buy them so where they are now probably works well, it's just not where I'd hoped they'd be, but that's fine.

How is that even legal without an additional agreement of all the users?
I think you meant "products" for the last word. Property doesn't have rights, only people, such as corporations, have rights. :p

Back