Pandora Illinc And The Pandora

goldbott

Still Fresh
A long time ago (maybe about four months) I posted on these forums about a project of mine called Illinc - it was originally meant to be released on the Pandora but after struggling with programming I started using Unity and since Unity doesn't support arm linux I switched the target to windows. After a few months of using Unity and running into nothing but brick walls network wise I tripped over an authoring tool called ShiVa - more difficult to use but much more power and a built in networking system. I was browsing the ShiVa developers forums when I came across a post that hinted at plans to allow support for arm linux systems (the pandora was even mentioned in this post) so you may see Illinc on the pandora when it launches (don't hold your breath though - I'm working on this alone and I still have a good ways to go). For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about Illinc is a MORPS that has been under development for a few months now - it's designed to play like an MMO be the actual scale is still to be determined. It's based off an older game called EndlessAges and will have similar features (Jetpack - Fps/Tps view switch - ect.). I've been working on Illinc long enough to know the difficulties and general impossibilities involved with making anything like what I want it to be and I'm gonna keep trying anyway. I'd like to know if the community here would be interested in a project like this and if anyone has any better ideas for names I'd very much appreciate suggestions.

For reference, here's the previous thread.

EDIT: Also, I'm interested to see what comes out of this. Do you have any concepts, specs or other documentation we could look at to get a better idea about the project?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well over three hundred or so pages of systematic designs and I'm having concept art made - right now I'm trying to get the framework setup so I can make some in-game footage. For those looking for specs I'm using ShiVa as the authoring tool, Blender for 3d models (truespace was considered but I know blender better), Audacity for any sound/music editing, MapZone for textures, ShiVa's built in networking system for server/client networking, mySQL for databases, and various sites that offer free content (sound effects/bgm/3d models) for resources that I can't make myself. Right now I'm piecing together the movement/combat system for the framework. The game is expected to be free to play with the option to buy certain items from a real cash store (the items in this store are still up in the air as balance is one of my main concerns). The game will differ depending on the version your using - for example the Pandora version will be low on graphics to ensure high performance and the windows version will have more effects. At the inital time of launch there will only be one server a friend of mine owns a decent server and until I can set up other arrangements Illinc will run from that server - when I'm able to afford other servers I think the portable/console versions should have there own. The storyline in Illinc is very in-depth but also optional - many powerful guns and armors can be obtained from storyline quests but similar items can also be obtained from smithing them or stealing them. There are three available races in Illinc - Human, Positronics, and Animus (you can thank Issac Asimov for the second one)
The Human race plays the part of the refugees - landing in the middle of a war between the other two
The Positronics are robotic beings that are fighting to avenge the race that created them.
The Animus are beings that can be described as living armor - they want complete control on the planet for reasons unknown.
There are many more important pieces to the storyline but I don't want to give away too much :)
Each gun is important and like the game Illinc is based on you'll have to work for each one - the customization is what will give you the opportunity to make a gun that you like. The melee system is planned to let you equip a sword (or any melee weapon) along with your gun. Armors in the game will determine you Shield Quality (how many hits you can take) and the Recharge (the amount of SP (Shield Points) you get back over time). The "magic" system in the game uses a device called a "Kard" to store an element, effect, or DNA pattern. The way you fuse Kards will determine the final result of the "spell".

Thats just a basic overview and I have much more (mainly in the methods of implementing these features code wise).

Sounds like a very cool and interesting project. One can clearly see you put a lot of thought into that and it might just pay off.
I really like games with in-depth story, but I am not into MMOs at all. Still I would like to see some artworks or in-game footage.

Sounds great, keep it up :)

foxblock out

I'm an old school turn-based rpg'er, but you project does sound interesting, and I would test it out to see how it plays.

In order to be let into the first tests you'll have to help out a little - I need feed back on my ideas and maybe even new ideas. There is a forum for Illinc up now and currently empty if you want to help but submitting ideas please join ( http://illinc.megabyet.net/phpBB/phpBB3/index.php ) there's also a site but it's under construction and I don't have time to work on it now (too much work to do on Illinc). I'm also in desperate need of a 3d artist but for the moment I'm working mainly on the code portion so it won't be a big problem till I've finished the framework.

Well, I am also a big fan of RPGs in this vein, and you seem to have the rare commodity that will advance this project the most; a brain.

I would offer some small assistance like proofreading or assisting in the writing, but you seem literate enough to pull the job off yourself. :lol: If you find, once you have a functioning framework, that you need further assistance in the graphics or art department, I would be more than glad to offer my expertise.

Good to know I'll make sure to keep you in mind. If the mods don't mind me treating this post like a blog I'd like to post some of the major updates here. The framework can take anywhere from a month to a year (I need more understanding of stonescript to give a decent estimate) so the limited beta doesn't have a set date. The limited beta will give everyone the chance to play the game but it will only feature the first zone (the "training" area) as it's main purpose it to test the components and balances of Illinc before they are used for the rest of the game. Next time I post I'll hopefully have something interesting to show you.

Edit-I made a new blog to allow anyone interested to track the smaller updates. Blog

Been a while since I updated this thread but I wanted to wait till I had something to add. I have a very simplistic combat system up and running and a spawn system (though incomplete) is working now as well. I'll be posting a video of the fps combat demo when I can fix the spawn system a bit and get the "mob" entities to move and attack. After this is finished I'll get to work on the inventory/items/drops/equips or the basic networking.

Another long shot update here. First of all the site is no longer being used due to problems with the webhost so a new site has been put up. Also there have been significant changes to the storyline. Networking and database persistence is slowly being added. Theres still a lot of work to do but I'm getting there. The site still needs work but it is up for anyone who wants to take a look (just a forums right now though) - http://altus.cz.cc/

Back