I''m Off To Gdc:09!

Game_over

Game Developer
Hey guys, I'm flying out to San Francisco, CA in three hours. Anyone else on here going at all? It be cool to meet up with some of you guys if you are going, if not I'll be at E3 this year as well (see you there GPH).

As some of you all may know, I'm a CA down there, I got three roommates:

One's a Sr Programmer from Firaxis Games (Civ Series) .

Another's a 3D programmer who is an ex (Naughty Dog (Jak series), and Flagship Studios(Hellgate:London...sorry mate) and is now with Unity Engine

And the other works at Maxis(anything with Will Wright names on it).

I'm in pretty good company :pandora2: :ph34r: ;) .

-Things to expect

1. Sony's got some pretty wicked stuff up there sleeve, hopefully one of the involves the Phyre engine.

2. In the mobile market everyone is gushing over the Iphone/Ipod.touch platform. I kinda wish I had an icontrol pad right now.

More things to come.
-------to be continued.

Last edited by a moderator:
find Bob and give him a good slap upside the head for me! :ph34r:

That's awesome. I've always wanted to go to GDC. Plus, all those companies are insanely awesome...
howd you meet up with them? know them already or what?

:lol: will do. at the connecting layover now. me and those guys go way back ;)

I wonder how Sony will handle Phyre and the distribution of Indie titles. Publishers have to pay SONY per GB of traffic for all the free stuff: Demos, DLC. And the price is pretty expensive.

I hope SONY talks about revenue models, because I am more interested in that.

'Game_over' said:
2. In the mobile market everyone is gushing over the Iphone/Ipod.touch platform. I kinda wish I had an icontrol pad right now.

More things to come.
-------to be continued
Anybody know what happened with the icontrolpad? Havent heard anything for a while... assume Pandora has taken priority but would be good to get it out there before some body else copies the idea.

Sunday 3/22/09
We'll things started for me on sunday. We had orientation and had dinner.
didn't have internet so couldn't update.
Monday 3/23/09
-Things are just starting here at gdc Intel has a pretty nice booth this year, and I snuck into the expo hall and saw a few things you might want pictures of, (thats coming wednesday I think).

-After my next shift I'm off to some pretty interesting session before meeting up with some Dev friends to head to one of the hundreds of bars here in San Francisco.

I'll keep you posted ;) .

P.S. first big party is the IGDA one, there I'll be sure to bring up the Pandora and Wiz.

Cheers.

Small update 2D boy (World of Goo) Kyle and Ron just called Bob (bobs game)....a dick; in one of there presentation that just happened 3 minutes ago. Bob wasn't in the room.

I'll track him down at the Harmonix Rock Band party tonight and hopefully give him a good slap! :lol:

'Game_over' said:
Small update 2D boy (World of Goo) Kyle and Ron just called Bob (bobs game)....a dick; in one of there presentation that just happened 3 minutes ago. Bob wasn't in the room.

I'll track him down at the Harmonix Rock Band party tonight and hopefully give him a good slap! :lol:

Haha, nice. How do you know he'll be there?

Have you had a chance to check out OnLive? I'm very interested to know how that looks.

Bob will be there if is not a square :lol: , if so I'm headed to the IGDA Party as well, I can't really promise you anything as of now since there is soo many people going to the parties but dammit I'm going to try B)

What a day this turned out to be

On the "OnLive" - There is a conference for it pretty soon on Gamespot. It's here and it's not (something rhymes with....clear)

Me and my buddy Amir (Unity) sat down at the bar and I talked with him about the pandora (I am currently kicking myself for not having it voiced recorded or something because I brought him into the light (So work HARDER Openpandora...jk....maybe) he's pretty impressed with it and in return he show me an iphone game that has been made with the Unity Engine (For his sake I can't tell you about it). It was a pretty good little chat.

Tonight is super busy so I'm going to cut this off here, expect more the next time I have free time and a connection.

-Later

OnLive is almost guaranteed to look great at the show. It's 'realworld' usage on *my* connection that is of interest to me.

Also, personally it would take all the magic out of the gaming experience. I never considered Dragon's Lair to be that amazing given its video format, and likewise streamed gaming video won't be as impressive as a box in my front room processing the polygons!

This morning started with a bang, as the Nintendo Keynote just happen. Word or advise, check your we for updates NOW also another Legend of Zelda DS game. They also gave everyone a free DS game that is coming out in 11 days.

I'm resting my feet for a minute here at the lounge and then I will go down to the expo hall.

I didn't run into Bob yet at any of the parties I went to, all of them were extremely crowded. My favorite on was at Flashbang Studios Launch Party at this underground bar in San Francisco. Sony's party is tonight.

Heading to the Expo.

Back