I'm Thinking Of Cancelling

I'm thinking of cancelling... my TV licence, as I haven't watched any in about two months. Just my opinion, but: Television seems to have gone downhill for the last five years, and I only found myself looking forward to three or four programs in a whole year. Surely that's a waste of money?

Even the films are all repeats now (the same films every month).

I could rant for ages about the crap state of UK telly, because I used to absolutely love it.

Anyone else feeling the same way?

Am I missing out on anything good at the moment?

I only really watch TV on demand, which you don't need a license for. But since I'm living with 5 other people, we split the license 5 ways, so it's more affordable.

I don't have a TV and haven't had one for over 5 years. I had to threaten legal action against the TV licencing morons before they stopped harassing me.

It has indeed changed my life for the better. I still use the iPlayer now and again, but wow, my life is so much better having no TV.

Sick of the cable provider padding the bill, all those stations and nothing on so I finally cut the cable and went free digital video broadcast 6 months ago, it's been bliss. Watching less and enjoying it more now and feeling much less like a sucker.

I don't watch much TV any more either. Internet is my source for information and entertainment. Last time I checked, I thought the same about German TV.

I can't speak to the quality of UK television, but I got rid of cable in my apartment over a year ago and I haven't missed it at all. Well, that's not entirely true, since it can be a pain in the ass to find CFL games online but for most other sports I watch, streaming video has sufficed. Aside from sports, I can't see a good reason to keep TV. I can read the news online, and I can get just about any show either in a DVD box set or off bittorrent if I'm feeling unscrupulous, and then watch the whole series over a couple of nights. The biggest problem with TV for me is that it made it too easy to just plop down on the couch after work and zone out for a few hours. There's still good TV out there if you're willing to look for it, but I don't think there's enough to justify paying for it and watching it on their schedule. My understanding of the UK TV license (and feel free to correct me) is that as long as you're not watching the shows as they're being broadcast, you're ok, so I'd go for it.

craigix said:
I don't have a TV and haven't had one for over 5 years. I had to threaten legal action against the TV licencing morons before they stopped harassing me.

It has indeed changed my life for the better. I still use the iPlayer now and again, but wow, my life is so much better having no TV.
Heh Yes I had to sent a strongly worded letter explaining that I was studying and gaming and only used my TV for my games console before they would stop sending me annoying threatening TV license letters...

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox said:
craigix said:

Heh Yes I had to sent a strongly worded letter explaining that I was studying and gaming and only used my TV for my games console before they would stop sending me annoying threatening TV license letters...

being from the US, what the heck are you guys talking about a TV license? you cant own a tv without a license?

Pickle said:
PokeParadox said:
craigix said:

being from the US, what the heck are you guys talking about a TV license? you cant own a tv without a license?

It's like there is only one cable provider and he collects at gunpoint.

Pickle said:

Well, you can but to watch TV, you need a licence - it pays for the BBC. It's £145 a year... $200 roughly?

It's not bad value - you get 4 TV Channels and masses of radio stations so compared to my cable subs... it's small fry

sbt said:
Pickle said:

Well, you can but to watch TV, you need a licence - it pays for the BBC. It's £145 a year... $200 roughly?

It's not bad value - you get 4 TV Channels and masses of radio stations so compared to my cable subs... it's small fry

hmm, but why would the company send threatening letters, can you see content without getting license? How do they even know you own a tv?
i mean here you'll get junk mail if you dont have services with the company, but nothing that could be threatening .

Edit:
Ok i think i get it, these are basically over the air content.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom

Here over the air content is free and basically funded by commercials

Yes, that is one good thing, there are no advertisements. That is essentially what the TV licence frees us from - horrible adverts every 10mins.

And you can still view all that ad free content without a TV licence as long as you don't watch it live - ie watch it on the BBC iplayer later.

craigix said:
And you can still view all that ad free content without a TV licence as long as you don't watch it live - ie watch it on the BBC iplayer later.
I think the technical detail is you can't receive it broadcast - so even a VCR with no display needs a license.

So basically, I don't have to pay £145 a year to watch Doctor Who? Sounds good to me.

I could rent out about 30 tv series boxsets from Blockbuster for the same price as I'm paying. That money could have paid for my Pandora and had change left over.

I really do love Television as a medium, but it's in such a pathetic state right now. It was when Channel 4 stopped doing all the semi-alternative stuff and stared throwing out dozens of docu-soaps instead, everything started to go downhill. It feels like I'm watching daytime telly, even in the evenings... and 80-90% of stuff is repeats. Even the repeated stuff I want to see is on Uk Gold (if it isn't on Dave). That was nice of the BBC to do!

craigix said:
Yes, that is one good thing, there are no advertisements. That is essentially what the TV licence frees us from - horrible adverts every 10mins.

mythtv ;-)

A Pandora Iplayer application has to be top priority then! ;)

No, but that would be cool.

SomeGuy99 said:

Actually, BBC has an iPhone version of their iPlayer site.
So if on the Pandora you could somehow fake a MobileSafari UserAgent, you might be able to stream the MP4s.

quote said:
SomeGuy99 said:

Actually, BBC has an iPhone version of their iPlayer site.
So if on the Pandora you could somehow fake a MobileSafari UserAgent, you might be able to stream the MP4s.

I was under the impression this is the main way in which to access Iplayer from Linux?

I just checked the TV listings and nothing is on (except Family Guy repeats, but I've seen them all). Apparently the last series of Big Brother has started. OMG I'm missing TV gold?!

Hey, I can't blame you. There are only a few things I watch on TV ATM, such as So You Think You Can Dance, the news, etc. But not much. So if you're happier without it, hey.

Back