Image Macros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishbong

man of poor reputation
Website
Visit site
Lately, we have been seeing an increasing amount of image macros posted here, not only in the "other stuff" section, but everywhere on the forum.

For those of you who don't know, an image macro is an image with text in it, usually with a humorous effect. Examples can be found in this, this and, most regrettably, this thread.

So, what i want to say is this: I am already sick of them. As you can deduce from my avatar, i myself am quite fond of the imageboad culture where this kind of joke originated, and i don't dislike them per se, BUT:

They don't make your post witty or funny. Seriously, even if they would, don't you want to write replies that are worth reading on their own? Do you think people will ignore your post unless it contains a picture of a cat with a slice of cheese on its head? Do you want to appear as the kind of person who visits some lolcats website on a daily basis and then sends "hilaaaarious" pictures to every last person on their AIM list?
What really annoys me is that those pictures are usually completely irrelevant to the topic, the ones that were posted here are so old and stale i must have seen each of them at least ten times, they aren't original in any way. They are a bastardization of something that used to be a novel in-joke. They still have a place on imageboards, where the topic of a thread is not really important, but here i think they´re out of place and immature.

I recently made the mistake of actually posting one - a motivational - and that made me think about how pointless and stupid they actually are in the environment of a more serious forum such as this one.

I know, as far as "staying on topic" is a concern, i´m a bit of Jekyll and Hyde myself.

What do you guys think? Image macros - source of amusement or silly baubleries?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all pics on the pandora forum should be hidden unless there's a mouseover or button clicked. I don't know whether it's possible to implement this, but surely it's possible to do with a plugin.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Profane, if relevant image

:angry:

:p

Uhh, you've got to be kidding me. It was a joke. I guess you've been gone for a little too long, so let me fill you in on the general ambiance of off-topic: there's excessive profanity, excessive sarcasm, and ultimately, lots of humor.

Editing out my jocular image wasn't necessary.

Profane, if relevant image

:angry:

:p

Uhh, you've got to be kidding me. It was a joke. I guess you've been gone for a little too long, so let me fill you in on the general ambiance of off-topic: there's excessive profanity, excessive sarcasm, and ultimately, lots of humor.

Editing out my jocular image wasn't necessary.

Dude that image was so relevant and pertinent to this discussion, please just put this thread out of it's misery.

Apart from the fact that excessive profanity, insults disguised as sarcasm, etc, isn't wanted or desired on this forum.

These images annoy me. The picture itself may be amusing, but why throw in a huge caption on it that is not the least bit witty and doesn't actually make sense anyway?

Yes, it´s a fad. And every fad comes to the point where even your mom notices it. Chuck Norris jokes, lolcats, All your base, you name it. This is the point where it ceases to be cool, so to everyone posting image macros: Cut it out.

Fishbong said:
so to everyone posting image macros: Cut it out.
NO!

No it's not meant to be funny, it's meant to be a statement of intent.

EDITED, BECAUSE OF POSSIBLE FAVORITISM, By Trooper.

Image macros were the shit back in 2001 or so, now they're a bit played out and I can't believe 1 out of 5 are the same ones I saw off the somethingawful.com forums 6 or 7 years ago. Still, I sometimes find myself laughing at them. Rarely.

Squidge said:
Apart from the fact that excessive profanity, insults disguised as sarcasm, etc, isn't wanted or desired on this forum.

Not all sarcasm is insulting.

There's nothing insulting about that image. Jeez, what happened to this place? People use profanity all the time and no one edits their posts. Lighten up. How quickly people forget that the damn chat thread use to be renamed horrible profane things on a daily basis by none other than the mods themselves.

I guess this is just another sign of how shitty, I mean poopy, this place has become.

I guess this is just another sign of how shitty, I mean poopy, this place has become.
I think you'll find the correct word is "excrementy". Where the fuck hell heck did the term image macro come from anyway? Everyone knows they're lolcats, or perhaps just "images with occasionally witty text on".

I started this thread against them and would say that most are forum pollution but found DCGM's to be spot on topic fall down laugh my ass off funny and rather poignant and now have to agree with PokeParadox, timing and context are everything, personally would rather just roll back to the 80's and say it with text. My ascii art killed.

Unfortunately i checked back on the thread when dcgm´s post was already "moderated", so i'm a bit curious as to what he originally posted. And by the way, i don't mind being insulted on the internet, and this is the offtopic section, intended to be moderated more leniently.

Anyway, there may be a place for image macros on this board, but what i´ve seen here so far falls more in the category "i have nothing to say but found those funny pictures on the internet so i'm gonna use every excuse to post them so the others will see what a funny guy i am".

Fishbong said:
Unfortunately i checked back on the thread when dcgm´s post was already "moderated", so i'm a bit curious as to what he originally posted. And by the way, i don't mind being insulted on the internet, and this is the offtopic section, intended to be moderated more leniently.

Anyway, there may be a place for image macros on this board, but what i´ve seen here so far falls more in the category "i have nothing to say but found those funny pictures on the internet so i'm gonna use every excuse to post them so the others will see what a funny guy i am".
Well, the image is still there. Chip just made it a link because it was "profane".

It's not a huge problem, but it obviously irked me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back