In Game Movies

Flack

There have been a couple of requests for "in game movies" so I took a stab at recording a couple. Check them out and tell me what you think. Also, if you would like, feel free to download them and host them elsewhere, as I'm sure the bandwidth will soon kill me.

http://members.cox.net/flack/gp32-pinball.wmv
Approximately 1 min, 2 meg WMV file.
Pinball Dreams

http://members.cox.net/flack/gp32-gp2600.wmv
Approximately 1 min, 2 meg WMV file.
gp2600 playing Pitfall

Flack

Edit: if you check these out, please respond and let me know what you think!

How do you make these wmv files, what hardware and what software do you use?

Thx for posting those movies dude. :)

Can I please make one request tho, can you please make a movie of a GP32 playing a DivX clip

Thx
Mr Fixit

If you make any new movies, if at all possible can you change the format to avi or mpg (divx or whatever) because not everyone can view Microsoft-only proprietary garbage... :D Seriously I have to jump through hoops to get Mplayer/xine to view them.

- Rico

THanks for the movies!!!
@Rico, if you compile mplayer with have the win32 codecs on your hd it isnt a problem.... works for me without problems, but i think with xine is not so easy to get this working.

EDIT:
hey rico, if you plan to make other movies, what about SNES or GPEngine... want to have something to watch till my gp32 is here

I would be glad to make some more movies -- SNES and GPEngine are a great topic, I'll probably do some of those tomorrow night.

As for the hardware, it's much less "hi-tech" than you would think. I used my 8 year old camcorder, running directly into my Dazzle capture card. Once I had the video captured, I loaded it into Video Vegas, added the title shot and faded out the beginning and the end, and compressed it. The hardest part about filming it was playing the game while holding the gp32 still, and keeping it at a decent angle so the screen showed up okay.

AVI and MPG files are just as easy to make ... I didn't think about the cross platform problem. The biggest problem is with space. I could just as easily go with Real Media or Quicktime, are people able to view those easily? The only problem with MPG or AVI files is that they would be large. Through my cable provider I only get 10 meg of storage space, and those 2 videos are taking up almost 5 of it. I'll see if I can make them more reasonable with Quicktime.

Flack

I came up with another way of doing the movies - use a quick program to 'record' your screen while you are using the emulator, and I managed to get a crystal-clear movie of Rick Dangerous that way. Only problem is, it's only really useful for commercial games and anyone else can just get out the emulator, plus the emulator is slower, plus no sound.

However it does display the game perfectly, and nothing else.

- Rico

I thought about that, but the problem I was having is that the emulator is SO slow that it doesn't really give people the right impression about how fast the GP32 really is.

Flack

Back