In reply to: Get a hobby

bismuthdrummer

All of you guys definitely need some hobbies.

Will this awkward thread never end?

Consider some sports, make some music, read a book, etc.... ;)

I have hobbies, forum posting is one of them. :)

I don't find that thread awkward, probably because I participated in it. But the gist of it as I see it and you might agree that one person is going through heated arguments about Pandora 2 storage configurations with other active forum posters, and nobody really seems to agree with many of his points. Some yes, but for the most part he is on his own. Perhaps other people agree with him but feel they will be hammered on as well so they don't bother posting, but I really doubt this is the case due to my assessment of his irrationality.

I'll be honest, I like slapping down illogical arguments. I mean, I make stupid statements all the time, everyone does at some point. The distinction is that, when I am made aware of my mistakes I usually acknowledge them. I certainly feel no stigma in admitting I was wrong. I think it's more harmful than helpful to everyone when you cannot admit that you were wrong even though you know it. I take pride in knowing and supporting the truth, even when I am on the losing end of the argument as a result. People who get to know me personally will discern this quickly; I "give in" to my opposition when I know they are correct. My friends hate me for it sometimes, I am one blunt bastard.

Easy example of my mistakes here on these forums: I posted a bunch of tests with the battery and cat current_now, doing some measurements on the current draw... and equating that to draw of current off the power plug or somesuch. I was wrong, I was corrected by someone, and I was perfectly happy to be corrected. I suppose I wasn't in an argument, but I haven't been in many arguments here, only with two members to my recollection, and one wasn't academic so much as just software support.

Anyway. Hobbies. I used to know a fella who kept playing me in chess even though our skill gap was a canyon or two wide. I mean, I've studied chess, you get good when you study something. But this guy kept playing me... and I liked practicing my prowess against him.

Same with people who continually defend their arguments with ridiculous logic repeatedly... I'm forgiving the first time or couple of times when someone says something wrong, but the more resistance I meet on inarguable stuff like how to count votes in a poll, the more persistent and dickish I become. And this guy truly is a complete mathematical failure, he has had many chances to get his shit right. The moment I hear a submission of fault regarding my points of contention, I will relent and give proper credit where it's due. I am sure it will never happen, though.

So for me now: tennis, laundry, soldering, and sleep, in roughly that order. Maybe another forum post if anyone took the time to read all of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoy learning about airplanes and writing/playing music :3

I like improvising on the piano (esp. on my brand new Roland FP-7F), playing with my baby daughter, cooking, coding, and politics (of the radical leftist kind).

Drawing, i draw on daily base, i got this whole fantasy concepts that is growing by the day, and i express it on paper.

Hopefully il become good enough to make concept art on pro level.

Coding, Swimming (two times every weak), hiking, reading (at the moment Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn for the third time), cooking & eating, board games, doing stuff with my girlfriend and generally meeting friends (of course with beer, too :p )

Oh and some people would say, that one of my favorite hobbies is to get upset. But these guys just excite me...

In no particular order: coding, reading, gaming, aikido, piano.

Let's not forget debating on an internet forum with a bunch of people I've never met :)

Breading/caring for exotic pets, walking me doggy. Playing football n tennis, swimming (mainly 5k) running, thrashing the motorcycle about, playing computer games and gettin baked n watching toilet humour tv

Engaging in various forms of ESP, in particular my lifelong relationship with certain beings not native to this bizarre place. Drawing, digital art, reading (sci-fi, fantasy, spiritual esoterica), working on my children's book, fiddling with my Pandora or Sensation, and hanging out here (where I try not to fiddle). :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Researching the MBTI, keeping aquariums, reading, writing, gaming (both via my machines and tabletop roleplaying games) discussing stuff, etc.

Playing Acoustik and E-Guitar

being a Scouts Leader (Boy and Girl Scouts) (DPSG)

bee keeping, Running, drive somethim whit the Mountainbike (about 1 Hour per 2 Days)

"Unimog" ,

Gaming (Handhelds: 3DS XL, PSVITA, Openpandora, , ), all sorts of Retrogames (which can be emulatet by the Pandora)

Reading (Aktually: The Light of Fantasy, by Terry Pratschett (Discworld),

and listen to some Musik: J-Rock, Medievel Rock, German Rock like "Rammstein", Subway to Sally, English Rock like Manowar, System of the Down, and so on..

I'm an expedition level wreck researcher and technical mixed gas diver. I've been serious wreck diving since 98 and have lost several good friends in that time, most recently in July. Despite the risks and costs I still can't help loving it.

Rescue swimmer, instructor and Paramedic in the german red cross. Also I like building and soldering all kinds of things. I also like playing badminton.

porting, coding, cooking, eating, having a walk, having fun with my gf, playing games, forumming.

that's sound enough imo

Back