...instead of a new lens for my Canon...

DragonFang

Still Fresh
...I just ordered a premium Pandora. It's like half what I make in a month (yeah, not one of those big income guys, lol), but I just couldn't resist. It was a battle between two of my greatest interests: Photography and gaming/tinkering. I guess you could call that last part two different interests, but for me the lines blur after all the jailbreaking and console hacking... But I digress. The gaming gadget geek in me won out. I guess I can try to somehow use the Pandora for photography to justify the buy in my own eyes. xD I've actually got an idea or two to use it for time lapse photo control... but that will have to wait. First I'm gonna game like mad, and then I'll optimize, hack, tweak and wreak general havoc on my poor unit. What doesn't kill it will only make it stronger, right? :p And maybe I'll finally get around to learning Linux and doing some REAL programming for a change, who knows? Anyway, I'm so stoked I'll probably have trouble sleeping tonight. This is like the christmas when I got Yoshi's Island from my very understanding mother, or when I recieved and played Super Mario 64 to death. :D

Anyways... Been lurking on the forums for a couple of days now, happy to finally join the cult ;) Maybe I'll even end up contributing something worthwhile to the community. See you around guys (and girls!) :D

Out of interest, does anyone know if gimp+ufraw have been ported to ARM (perhaps via a Debian SD install?). That's my Linux photo dev system on my netbook, though no idea how well it runs on Pandora (ufraw crawls a little on my netbook) and I doubt the Pandora screen is colour accurate enough (but my netbook isn't really either and I still use that)

I sure hope and expect so :)

I think I'll tell some white lies to some of the hrm... less understanding people around me, shall we say? "Oh, no, it wasn't expensive at all, hardly cost anything, look at the pretty colors.. yes..." :eek: My girlfriend was great about it though: "I can see it's really important for you, so I won't say anything about what I think... It's your money darling."

If that isn't love I don't know what is :)

Out of interest, does anyone know if gimp+ufraw have been ported to ARM (perhaps via a Debian SD install?). That's my Linux photo dev system on my netbook, though no idea how well it runs on Pandora (ufraw crawls a little on my netbook) and I doubt the Pandora screen is colour accurate enough (but my netbook isn't really either and I still use that)

Gimp is indeed on the pandora, although it takes a little bit to load, havent really played around with it

http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewarea.pl?Applications

Here's your justification; 100% of the software on the Pandora can be obtained for free.

Here's your justification; 100% of the software on the Pandora can be obtained for free.
eeeh, that's arguable. You can install the Quake game engines, but in order to get the data (legally) you need to buy or already own them. Same with the GemRB compatible games. And ScummVM. And every ROM you install. There are a lot of completely free games, but by virtue of the fact that it's very emulation centric, the vase majority of what you can play will always have at least some cost associated with it.

Not paying for something and being free are two completely different things.

I understand your statement. Depending on how you look at it, it can be either true or false.

Yes, a statement can either be true or false. That doesn't have to be stated :p

What should be said is which statement you think is false, and why.

Hey Proto and Stan, don't go all philosophically passive aggressive on each other now :p

Proto: The free software and, frankly mainly... You guys. The community and all the freaking POTENTIAL this open source project oozes are two of my main reasons for justifying getting a Pandy in spite of the somewhat steep prize tag. I believe something big is happening, and I wanna be a part of it. I can't see a non nerd/non hippie type person ever understanding how that makes it worth the money though, thus the white lies and pretty colors strategies ;)

Yes, a statement can either be true or false. That doesn't have to be stated :p

What should be said is which statement you think is false, and why.

Literally, "free" and "not paid for" mean the same thing. Philosophically, "free" is typically associated with freedom (with price following suit more often than not), whilst "not paid for" implies that you stole something, which is what piracy is. (The "is piracy stealing" debate is a whole other issue.)

Fair enough. My dictionary defines free (in the monetary sense, which is what I thought we were talking about, not in the philosophical sense of freedom which would be a different debate, one we'd probably agree upon right away) as "without cost" which I've always implicitly added "from those who are actually authorized to do so". To me, that puts piracy outside of "free", since you aren't obtaining it in an authorized way.

Gimp is indeed on the pandora, although it takes a little bit to load, havent really played around with it

http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewarea.pl?Applications

Cool. I did a search after posting that, and apparently there's a Debian package for the gimp+ufraw plugin, so theoretically it's possible (and maybe practical) to do RAW photo development for DSLR users.

Levi: That would be awesome! I wonder if the hardware is up to the task though. Perhaps it's not a fair comparison, but RAW editing on my netbook is a bit on the painful side in terms of speed, at least if you want to check the photos for focus/sharpness in detail. Of course it would still be useful if I could do just some rough editing like white balance and contrast with reasonable speed though. Would definitely save some time if I could start editing on the move or in field without lugging a laptop around :)

Back