Internet Problems

spongebue

Website
Visit site
Lately my computer has been having problems with some adware stuff. I used adaware, and it seemed to do the job. Later, it would reset just after I turned it on. I figured I probably had a virus, so I downloaded a freeware virus protector (AVG) and sure enough, there were not one, not two, not four, but three in there . I then installed Zone Alarm (Oh how I wish I did that much earlier) and now I can't connect to the internet if my life depended on it with any browser, even with ZA shut down (not just closed and put next to the clock. I've tried in Mozilla and *shudder* IE and AOL, and none of them worked. Also, the light on my router does not show up for that computer, as if nothing was plugged into it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
spongebue

use sypbot, reinstall whatever OS you are using, When this happened at school while i was exploiting some stuff on the network by pulling out the ethernet cable it was the ethernet cable that was broken. And I also fucked up the proxys :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm starting to think that it's the router (probably not, since I'm using it and it didn't work on other ports) the ethernet cable, (hope so, since that would be easiest to fix) or the NIC (please God, not that... it's integrated into the mobo, which was fairly expensive)

sam fisher posted on Aug 22 2004 at 09:51 AM said:
while i was exploiting some stuff on the network by pulling out the ethernet cable
You were exploiting the network by remving the ethernet cable? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
DemonStar55 posted on Aug 22 2004 at 10:47 AM said:
run adaware then spybot and also virus thing it should help
I've already ran adaware and a virus program, but I don't see how any of that would help, since everything else is fine ATM.

Also, I recently installed a second hard drive as a slave. I don't see how it would, but could that have possibly changed something? I don't really see how, but it couldn't hurt to ask, I guess.

I had the EXACT same problem this time last week, oddly enough.

Apparantly Adaware sometimes messes with your connection files in the registry, so running scandisk and getting a good free registry checker should sort things out.

I also had a program that had a blue icon and rebuilt something that I can't find now, sorry.

Try the program in the link below, Regcleaner. You`ll be suprised at how much crap it can clean out. You never know it may sort your problem out (by getting rid of stuff changed/add by zone alarm etc).

Btw, I have used this program for over 2 years and it has never removed a critical/important registry entry in all the time i`ve use it, But it does create a backup of everything it removes.

http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/...-cleaner4.3.htm

Its got me out of some sticky situations i can tell you.

Trooper

divadsci posted on Aug 22 2004 at 02:27 PM said:
Is zone alarm a firewall? if it is then you should try uninstalling it not just shutting it down. I had this problem when norton went odd.
Yeah, ZA is a firewall. Come to think of it, it did work just before I installed it. Heck, I even downloaded it using that computer.

/me goes to change computers

Try ctrl+alt+deleting and killing the process, or checking your Services a list. Most firewalls run indepenently of their GUI - shut down the ZA program and it could still be running in the background. I personally avoid ZA like my mother's friends so I don't know how it works myself.

Back