Introducing The New Pandora Curve (tm).

argor

from the pandora blog

This is what happens when you ship some $1000 Pandora prototypes via a well known american courier company.

bent.jpg

:D :p :lol:

need some bending

Orkie said:
One of the two big ones ;).
I'm german, and these bastards don't teach us about american package delivery companies in school...

Anyway, I really wanna know how well this was packaged. I'm guessing it's the companies fault, because I highly doubt they'd just put that prototype in an envelope. But I wanna know how much it is their fault

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyosys said:
Orkie said:
I'm german, and these bastards don't teach us about american package delivery companies in school...

Anyway, I really wanna know how well this was packaged. I'm guessing it's the companies fault, because I highly doubt they'd just put that prototype in an envelope. But I wanna know how much it is their fault

http://www.unitedpackagesmashers.com/ (just a guess) [I was wrong, not UPS, see below. Still leaving it as an answer to "how much of it was their fault", in a general shipping kind of way.]

Edit: I was quite worried about a similar problem when I tried my first LGA775 "push-pin" OEM heatsink. It literally was bent that far. But it worked just fine. As long as the traces are malleable enough to remain conductive (and being copper I really think they haven't been moved that far), and none of the (BGA?) chips have been disconnected it might work.

Heh. I had a processor shipped via FedEx once, and the box showed up all smashed. Luckily there was no damage to the actual processor. UPS has been mostly better for me, though the box they delivered my computer case in had holes in it...

Kyosys said:
what company? How was it packed?
Not sure how they were packed, but I do know whom (Not tellin...:p) and I've had them fold, spindle, and mutilate set-top boxes on the outbound or return from a customer eval. I know that MWeston was probably torqued beyond words on this one.

I have sent out 3 fairly expensive video cards lately (2 of them 8800 series cards, g80 and g92), and this last one I put in 2 boxes, one inside the other, it had better be fine. I only ship USPS though, so I am not that worried.

So, are you at least getting money for the smashage of this thing? I'm sure you shipped with insurance or something?

So if it was "one of the two big ones" and "not UPS", I'm guessing it was FedEx, yeah? Doesn't really surprise me.

Heh... I know what happened... The contract manufacturer made the mistake of labeling the shipping box as "FRAGILE", which isn't a word, it's an acronym that shippers in the deep darkness of the past came up for describing a specific treatment for items so labeled:

Flog
Relentlessly
And
Grind
Into
Limp
Extinction

:D

BigTruck said:
So if it was "one of the two big ones" and "not UPS", I'm guessing it was FedEx, yeah? Doesn't really surprise me.
It certainly doesn't surprise me. But if they'd went brown, there'd be just pieces about the size of a quarter left in the packing box when UPS got done with it. I've had things at previous employers labeled "Magnetic Media: DO NOT BEND" bent clean in half and other evil things like it with UPS with even more disturbing regularity than FedEx screws things like that up.

nubie said:
I have sent out 3 fairly expensive video cards lately (2 of them 8800 series cards, g80 and g92), and this last one I put in 2 boxes, one inside the other, it had better be fine. I only ship USPS though, so I am not that worried.
I package electronics as if it was going to be handled by the infamous American Tourister Gorilla- that way there's a solid chance I won't need to try to do an insurance claim on things.

Svartalf said:
I package electronics as if it was going to be handled by the infamous American Tourister Gorilla- that way there's a solid chance I won't need to try to do an insurance claim on things.

I double-boxed and foam padded a desktop box, and the shipper dropped it hard enough to bend the corner of the case a good inch through both boxes. They required the computer be shipped back to them in order to get the insurance claim. When it arrived back, they had dropped it again, broken off the little door on the 3.5" floppy drive, and filled the inside of the computer with package peanuts.

The computer worked fine, but the hard drive was never quite the same. ;)

Orkie said:

craigix said:
It was not UPS.
Which implies, I'd say, FedEx, it being the other one I know of. That or USPS, and I doubt they'd count as a courier company by rote of simply *being* the post office. Could be wrong, though...

UPS is fine for me. I, infact, just ordered 2000 dollars worth of computer components, including 3 video cards, a processor, and an expensive monitor and it all came in fine.

Every time Fedex delivers something to me they leave it on the front steps. Once someone walked off with my package because of that.

Back