Iphone OS on Pandora

stupot

Still Fresh
This would be good wouldnt it. a nice touchscreen OS that looks great and is easy to use many emu's work on it already.

Someone should port it over, I cant because I dont know what pythons or C+ are but it would be good.

Oh come on someone had tu suggest it :lol:

There are a couple of fatal flaws in your cunning plan:

1. The source code isn't available and, as is quite clearly stated in big letters at the top of the forum, you'd need this to port it.
2. The Pandora's touch screen can only recognise single touches, so all the fancy two-fingered stuff won't work.

SteveM said:
There are a couple of fatal flaws in your cunning plan:

1. The source code isn't available and, as is quite clearly stated in big letters at the top of the forum, you'd need this to port it.
2. The Pandora's touch screen can only recognise single touches, so all the fancy two-fingered stuff won't work.

Both good points.

Maybe you could use the dual analog sticks to replicate the dual touch stuff.

and its not impossible that apple will release the source code stuff you know.

stupot said:
Maybe you could use the dual analog sticks to replicate the dual touch stuff.
Quite possibly, although IMHO that would be missing the whole point of the concept.
stupot said:
and its not impossible that apple will release the source code stuff you know.
I know. But it's very unlikely.

the iphone os is mac os x (well, not exactly, but based on it) and last time I checked, apple was still an evil big company that makes closed source apps and puts them on crappy hardware to make it somehow expensive.

Ok the point sorta got lost in there, but anyway. apple = closed source

bartleby said:
so lets install android instead ;)
And let's call it Pandoranoid Android!

"Rain down, rain down
Come on rain down on me"

I like Apple because they make highly usable stuff and have popularised some really nice bits of technology. How can you fault that?

ashdjones said:
I like Apple because they make highly usable stuff and have popularised some really nice bits of technology. How can you fault that?

I don't like Apple, because they make highly unusable stuff* and have crippled some bits of technology that otherwise would have been nice. How can you praise that?

*like stupid way of synching with the ipod software, instead of using it like a stick, integrated batteries...It's similar with everything else they touched. They stopped being cool in the last millenium. I could go on and on, but it's just not worth the effort.

As much as I like Android, I'm not sure it could work without some big modifications. Android applications all run in a sandboxed virtual machine called Dalvik, a Java-like VM. None of our native applications written to date would run under Dalvik. You could of course dual-boot to Linux+GP2x Menu or Android depending on what you intend on using the device for at the time.

Personally I think Ubuntu EEE, Maemo or GP2X Menu with a Webkit-based browser would be ideal.

MatthewMalone said:
ashdjones said:

I don't like Apple, because they make highly unusable stuff* and have crippled some bits of technology that otherwise would have been nice. How can you praise that?

*like stupid way of synching with the ipod software, instead of using it like a stick, integrated batteries...It's similar with everything else they touched. They stopped being cool in the last millenium. I could go on and on, but it's just not worth the effort.

Look, hey, obviously their products aren't for you. Fine. No problem with that.

Apple take away options in order to make everything *just work*, that's the trade-off unfortunately. It's not for tweakers or power-users, but what is there (in my eyes) works together so beautifully it makes me feel joyous to be using a computer.

I mostly use PCs and Windows, but I have a fairly old Mac at home that I use when I feel like I don't want to fight against anything.

^_^

smr said:
As much as I like Android, I'm not sure it could work without some big modifications.
hey, we were only joking. what point would there be running android (or iphone/osx) on a pandora - apart from calling the whole thing "Pandoranoid Android", which might in fact be worth the effort... :)

MacOS is just a shelled Linux, so you could essentially just take any ARM Linux distro and customize it to act like MacOS (why you would want to do that is beyond me). I don't see how terribly slow applications that use up ridiculous amounts of RAM (iTunes) and cumbersome software/firmware (iPod) is 'revolutionary', but I guess everyone has their own opinion.

As far as porting the iPhone OS to the Pandora, Apple will never release the full source, so you're pretty much stuck with making your own iPhone style OS from scratch.

iPandora. No.

Anyway, the touch and iphone are based on FreeBSD as "Darwin", with the actual fancy UI on top being entirely closed source; it would be possible to bring Darwin over (ie: OpenDarwin and so on), but no big deal. (ie: not linux; freebsd.)

(Aside:
Apple does have some very good engineers and designers, and then they cripple things; some really nie stuff, coupled with things like "oh, it supports stereo bluetooth headphones but only if they're Apple; otherwise you only get mono, haha, sucker!" and "our headphone jack in iphone 2g is slightly recessed, so only Apple headphones jack in right.. haha!". But otherwise some good software. (Not iTunes. iTunes is evil and wtf :)

jeff

bartleby said:
smr said:
As much as I like Android, I'm not sure it could work without some big modifications.
hey, we were only joking. what point would there be running android (or iphone/osx) on a pandora - apart from calling the whole thing "Pandoranoid Android", which might in fact be worth the effort... :)

Running Android on the Pandora would be great! Because all of the applications are written in a Java-like language and compiled down to Dalvik code, we would have access to just about every Android application written. Any application that doesn't depend on cellular services such as SMS would probably work with no modifications at all. And let's not forget that the browser and interface rock. The zoom feature of Webkit is going to be a must-have for me. I had an Archos 605 wifi with Opera. The screen, though high-res and looked brilliant, was too fine to read. The browser is going to need good zoom.

The only OS from the smartphone sector worth discussing apart from linux derivatives would be Symbian. Its going open source by next year and its for ARM processors.
Though I much more liked one recent suggestion of an alternate OS which was made here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=70

MatthewMalone said:
The only OS from the smartphone sector worth discussing apart from linux derivatives would be Symbian. Its going open source by next year and its for ARM processors.
Though I much more liked one recent suggestion of an alternate OS which was made here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=70

Symbian is a truly terrible OS (to use, and to code for.)

Stay away, and keep your soul :)

jeff

Back