Ipod

pantera6

Ruler of good and evil, then i make them fight tog
Website
Visit site
Im wondering what everyone thinks about the ipod on this forum. all of us here are gp2x lovers and know our way around technology. I to be honest think the ipod is terrible, bad battery life, restricted by apple with every piece of music you want to put on it and the screen is more delicate than soggy paper. im personaly more impressed by mp3 players made by iriver, sony and creative zen and archos. Sure they dont look all as good as the ipod but theyre all cheaper and have better everything. :p
anyway i just want to know what evryone else's favroute mp3 player is :)

pantera6 posted on Feb 16 2006 at 01:07 PM said:
Im wondering what everyone thinks about the ipod on this forum. all of us here are gp2x lovers and know our way around technology. I to be honest think the ipod is terrible, bad battery life, restricted by apple with every piece of music you want to put on it and the screen is more delicate than soggy paper. im personaly more impressed by mp3 players made by iriver, sony and creative zen and archos. Sure they dont look all as good as the ipod but theyre all cheaper and have better everything. :p
anyway i just want to know what evryone else's favroute mp3 player is  :)

Quite attached to my 20Gb iPod. Sound is very good compared to others I have tried (though I was recently impressed with a friend's new Sony (did I just admit that? Sorry)). I don't use it out much but since I have been living abroad and all my music collection is back in London, my iPod and it's docking station/speakers provide me with instant music collection which is simply vital to life. Obviously I enjoy logging on and paying Apple for every tune on there :ph34r:.

*edit* and get a good battery time too. Never timed it but it's long enough to realise it's alright.

Last edited by a moderator:
IRiver 40gig 2 years + rockbox firmware - good battery keeps my music organised the way like it, superb sound quality beats the ipod in the nuts there 2 headphones outs and a digital out, brilliant remote control... although starting to look a bit chunky by todays standards... could do with a 60 gog model now :(

Ive got a 20gb 4th gen ipod, and i love it. I dont use it portable though, i mainly got it for my car. I have an Alpine headunit with an interface box, which makes the ipod act as a huge cd-changer. Can search by artist/song/album right from the head unit. Thats the main reason i got it, to get rid of the 100s of CDs littering my car.
At work, i just leave itunes open during the day. Another plus is i use the hell out of it as a portable hard drive. True there are other options out there, but the ipod does everything i want it to do.

I returned my iRiver igp-100 cause it stopped working, it was a good player tough, they refunded it.
Then I was looking for a new .ogg player and by accident I saw the GP2X news in my newsreader, and well, the GP2X plays .ogg too ;D !
I think the iPod is a piece of proprietary junk + without .ogg support = crap. But it looks so trendy, thats basically why people buy it, I think.

Ha, your right about people getting it because its trendy. You should see mine, it spends its entire life inside a ungly looking rubber sleeve.
At the time i bought mine, it was the only thing out there that had a *real* car interface (ie: being able to completely control it from the head unit). There are other options out there now, but at the time Alpine+iPod was the only game in town.

i have the same as you skysnapper
ihp-140?
ROCKS
seriously the best mp3 player there was
legendary stuff that stuff

I have a 2gig Ipod Nano and I love it, sound quality is good enough and theres a fair few EQ settings to mess with. Music is organised in a way which makes it easy to find what you want, its size is nice and 2gig capacity is more than enough for me, the photo capability is a little novel due to the screensize but a nice touch all the same which I use from time to time. Battery life is superb as well if you're careful with the backlight timer 20 hours is easily acheivable.

My only problem is the way it scratches so easily, apparently some do and some don't, mine does but to be honest I don't care, it still plays my music, which is what it was made for.

I have a 6gb iPod mini that I bought last april.

before I got that I had gone through almost six other mp3 players both flash and hard-drive based. So far my iPod is the only one that has lasted me longer than 2 months.

And just for the recored, I DO skate and snowboard with my ipod w/o a case and have fallen on it numersous times with out and problems (it didn't even skip).

So yes, my iPod was very worth it

I have a 20gb Archos xs202, One of, If not the smallest 20gb mp3 player to date, And it`s great!!!. Great battery life and excellent sound quality, Can create playlists on the go, Copy, Move, Rename and delete tracks/files using the built-in duel pain file browser. Just one thing missing though, A remote control :(, But still great for train journey`s or in work when pair with my set of mini powered speakers.

Trooper

5gb Creative Zen Micro here. The first unit I had had a defective headphone jack, but I was able to get a replacement with a newer model that had the headphone jack corrected. It's been a very solid player, good battery life, excellent sound.

pantera6 posted on Feb 16 2006 at 01:07 PM said:
anyway i just want to know what evryone else's favroute mp3 player is :)

well i have a ipod, but i wish i bought something else because i dont like it much, but still you have your facts wrong.

the ipod has a great battery life imo, it has never died on me anyways

and nothings restricted, all of my music is from limewire or bittorrent

and no damage to my screen.

plus ive got linux on it so im good :D

trooper posted on Feb 16 2006 at 02:42 PM said:
I have a 20gb Archos xs202, One of, If not the smallest 20gb mp3 player to date, And it`s great!!!. Great battery life and excellent sound quality, Can create playlists on the go, Copy, Move, Rename and delete tracks/files using the built-in duel pain file browser. Just one thing missing though, A remote control :(, But still great for train journey`s or in work when pair with my set of mini powered speakers.

Trooper
Fuck, I'm going to have to remember that one. Sounds like it (or something similar) will be what I buy when my current iPod dies.

I own a 20GB 4G. It's ok, I guess. I would have liked a player with OGG support but I couldn't find any around town when I had the money and I didn't want to wait. Battery life is ok but way less than what Apple advertises, and it scratched way too easily. I'm not happy at all with the playlist functionality of it, nor do I like having to use a specific application to put music onto it. Thankfully there's gtkpod, but still. All in all, I don't think I'll be buying one again. It's not a terrible mp3 player, but it's fairly mediocre.

ipod here. I don't download any music for it. I use music from the CDs that I own. I just convert the music files to MP3 and drag and drop. I am not limited, I use any music. :)

racoon posted on Feb 16 2006 at 04:28 PM said:
I think the iPod is a piece of proprietary junk + without .ogg support = crap.
hahaha
Yeah, Apple would be rolling in the cash if they just added ogg support. As for the battery life, it's not crap, it's about 14 hours. It's also the easiest/fastest to use player in existence (with one hand) and one of the most durable, even if it does pick up scratches. On most other points, though, you guys are correct.

It just depends what ytou want. If you want to be able to play around, play oggs, get a little into the whole music compressing thing then an Ipod isn't for you.

If you want to have a quality mp3 player, that just plays your music with a very nice interface then an Ipod is. I love my Ipod. I love my Archos also. I loved my Creative etc.

But really, it depends what you want. I recommend Ipods to non-nerds (like me).

My dad went into comet this morning to buy a non-white pair of earphones for his ipod, and the comet guy told him that the ipod headphones are made by sony. This can't be true, can it?

I dont know i find even cheap sony headphones much better than the bundled ipod headphones @:| thats maybe my biggest complaint for the ipod the rest of it is very good now.

Back