Ipodt 4 Vs Pandora

HackModford

In theory shouldn't the iPod Touch 4/Iphone 4 be faster than the pandora? In particular the psx emulator?

Faster than full speed you mean?
Is there a PSX emulator for the iPod touch 4? Is there a workable jailbreak for it?

The PSX emulator does run well on the iPhone4. Good luck trying to play it though. I wanted to play it, I really did, but... No buttons. Bleck. :\

Yes there is a jailbreak for the ipod touch 4 it's called "limera1n"
http://www.limera1n.com/

Now as to it running good...

I was just trying Lunar 2 and the game runs slower than the pandora. I was expecting it to be the same as the pandora since the ipod touch 4 has the A4 processor.
It should run as good if not better than the pandora right?

It doesn't just come down to the processor alone - there are other factors, too, as I understand it.

Yeah obviously (It's not faster or same even though it's the same emulator essentially...)

But what exactly are the limiting factors of an iPod touch? Is it just ram? Is the iPod touch missing a gpu while the pandora has one? What is it?

WizardStan said:
Is there a PSX emulator for the iPod touch 4? Is there a workable jailbreak for it?
Gauntlet Legends runs slowly in psx4pandora even with lots of frameskip at 1Ghz. Spyro 3 is a bit slow too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
Zod once wrote a good piece on why performance suffers on iPhones. I can't find it on his website though, I think it was about 14 site overhauls ago.

link plox

www.zodttd.com

When you find it, link plox :p I remember him tweeting a link to it, if that helps.

[edit] All zod's pre-2010 content is gone (lame) but I found this. It's pretty old and not the one I was looking for, but interesting anyway.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=167163

I remember that, it had to do with mapping around memory access limitations in the OS (IIRC).

HackModford said:
In theory shouldn't the iPod Touch 4/Iphone 4 be faster than the pandora? In particular the psx emulator?

WizardStan said:

There a full speed PSX emulator for the Pandora?

Pleng said:
There a full speed PSX emulator for the Pandora?
There was. I'd forgotten the graphics plugin code was lost to it. I'm actually just a little surprised that after all this time it still hasn't been reproduced though.

Last I remember Tinus was waiting to see how *something* panned out before beginning work on re-implementing it. Can't remember what that thing was. But yea, there's never been a full-speed PSX emulator available to the general Panda Public

WizardStan said:
There was. I'd forgotten the graphics plugin code was lost to it. I'm actually just a little surprised that after all this time it still hasn't been reproduced though.

We talked about this before WizardStan ;p That GPU emulation work Tinnus did was for x86 only, with an OpenGL ES emulator. Nothing was ever ported to Pandora. We saw videos at some point of psx4pandora that were "full speed", but they could have been on particular games that are still full speed, or with a substantial overclock. Or maybe they just looked faster on Youtube, because sometimes stuff sorta does.

Exophase said:
We talked about this before WizardStan ;p That GPU emulation work Tinnus did was for x86 only, with an OpenGL ES emulator. Nothing was ever ported to Pandora.
I actually don't remember that discussion. Are you sure it wasn't one of the threads where you and Ari64 started talking way above the heads of us mortal men? ;)
Seriously, I'll remember that as well so I stop spreading misinformation again. Thanks.

Even taking into account a massive overclock, or youtube side effects, I find it diffucult to believe that Ridge Racer on my Pandora was running on the same emulator as that shown in videos.

Back