Iriver G10 Shows It's Pretty Face Again!

Are you getting one in August or whenever?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'll stick to my GP2X or XGP's's's's's's's's's's

• Maybe?

• Other

• Total voters

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Some cool dude made a thread about this in the old forums (before the upgrade), but I can't find it anymore?
So I'd like inform you all about this wonderful portable console.

0522_g10_8.jpg

g10-6.jpg

g10-5.jpg

g10-4.jpg

g10-3.jpg

g10-2.jpg

g10-1.jpg

g10-0.jpg

http://aving.net/newproduct/default.asp?mo...aag&BT_ExRef1=1

by the shipbuilder on 05/23/06 04:03 PM via kotaku said:
finally, something i could possibly buy. I wanted a portable system that could deliver Video, Music and Gaming and into one. Could have gotten the PSP or the Video IPOD but this is the real deal. 6GB of NAND Flash Memory and and a tight sharp screen. best of all, a battery longer than PSP's 2 hours. ^-^

by KJA on 05/23/06 01:36 PM

the controls look horrible, and im not a big iRiver fan... Our store sells a ton of iRiver products, they are usually less then stellar quality.

by scazza on 05/23/06 02:10 PM

That thing looks pretty slick. I love the slider design. And the 800x480 screen is to-die-for. But if anyone thinks there's no games for the PSP, my guess is there's going to be many less for this device even if it does come to the US.

by weatherman on 05/23/06 02:27 PM

"less than stellar quality"???

Bullcrap, Iriver products are excellent quality.
Yes, the controls look a bit weak, but it is all in how they feel.
I hope this makes it to the US and they keep it wide open to community game/app development.

This looks awesome.

by aDuh on 05/23/06 02:32 PM

Are there going to actually be third party games for this thing?

by Corpse Explosion on 05/23/06 02:53 PM

At least they changed the individual directional (from the prototype) button to +shaped directional buttion on this version of the G10.

by Torokun on 05/23/06 03:18 PM

I highly doubt this thing would ever leave Korea. It's going to be launched through Korea Telecom to use their money pit WiBro wireless broadband service. The value-add is that people can play casual games anywhere, with Kart Rider serving as the killer app. Bonus for Nexon - they developed Kart Rider for PSP only to have some new brass come on board after the thing was 95% done only to can it.

They clearly wouldn't put WiBro functionality and ship it overseas. That said, it's good to see them putting 6GB into a player. I had high hopes for the iRiver U10, which has an awesome form factor and really intuitive, kickass interface, but was crippled by a max of 1GB capacity on release.

They could definitely use something with the same form factor and export it as a portable media player, but forget it as a game platform cos they won't get any support from non-Korean game devs.

As a side note, the CEO of iRiver/Reigncom is a gamer. And it's not like he's one of these mid-30s Xbox dev team dudes. The guy's in his mid-50s and hardcore into MMOs. He had been a rank-and-file Samsung Electronics guy, which is a nice comfy high-status thing to be in Korea, and walked away from it because Samsung was too stodgy and not customer-focused enough for his tastes.

When an avid iRiver user forum cropped up on the Internet, the CEO called for a lab to be built for them in Seoul so forum members can go to test out new products, talk about ideas for new stuff, etc. They're an official part of the design process - no new products are rolled out without being "approved" by the Internet forum guys and gals.

Very cool management at this company. I hope they do well with this one.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/korea/irivers...ning-175636.php

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks pretty, but i'll only consider getting one if its open source. No point paying extra for some crud games made by iriver.

EDIT: Ewww, do I see Mini SD?

Yeah, why miniSD?

It's over $300 MSRP, so importing would be even more. I don't think I'd pay X360 price for something like this. Surfing the net would be awesome with the 800x480 res, but I can resist. The sliding LCD scares me and the controls look very uncomfortable. But who knows? I laughed off the GP32 when it was revealed, too.

That thing looks sleek! What about the price? Might buy one of these if it'll be opensource.
What about the rest of the specs? Are they published yet?

Nova posted on May 24 2006 at 01:07 AM said:

Whats wrong with mini sd?

At least they come with convertors so use them in other devices.

skysnapper posted on May 24 2006 at 09:01 AM said:

They are teeny-weeny, and get lost really easily.

skysnapper posted on May 24 2006 at 09:01 AM said:

That`s as maybe, But you can not use them the other way round (like use your shiny new 4gb sd card you brought for your GP2x in the iriver, So a new set of cards is needed). Plus the convertors can be a pain in the ass as they can break quite easly and make getting the card out of some devices difficult, As the convertor can get left in the device when pulling the mini sd card out.

Still a XGPmini for me.

Trooper

i'll stick with my PSP, and whomever is quoted in the first post, i think its from some other forum, stating the PSPs battery life is 2 hours is false, he probably doesn't even own a psp to know how long the battery life is. So he'll buy a Iriver or whatever, that will never have support for over $300 instead of getting a PSP because he bought into the myth that PSPs batteries only last a couple of hours. Smart.

The only way i'd buy this thing is if it is Open Source, and less than $150.

It looks horrid to me to be honest, and why the mini-SD? Surely they had room for a standard size one.

Maybe if it becomes developable (homebrew) I'll be more interested.

It's iRiver so I don't expect it to be cheap but it looks nice and has some key features:
1) WiFi
2) 6GB of built in storage. That's hellova space
3) USB host built in, even if it's 1.1
4) detachable battery. It's good because it's Lit-Ion (probably) and it's repleacable apart from the costs

Of course point 3 is almost useless if iRiver won't release some drivers for this piece of hardware, because using it only to connect to external HDD is not something you need very much with 6GB of storage. Anyway I'll stick with my GP2X

I personally love my H320, and iRiver knows how to make good products IMO. So, if this thing works out good, I may pick one up.

Back