Is Caanoo For Me?

steveoath

Still Fresh
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm not too sure which of the open source handhelds suits my needs so hoping that some people more in the know than me can pass on advice.

I'm looking to buy a caanoo/dingoo/wiz to run emulators for SNES, Megadrive, SCUMMvM, GB/GBA and possibly MAME.

From what I gather the caanoo looks like the most suitable, what do current users think?

Cheers,
Steve

BTW - I'm not much of a coder, but I have no probs installing software and tinkering about with settings.

Caanoo is fine for all of them. GBA needs a bit of improvement, but the others work great.

With the price of the Caanoo at the moment (see ebay). You'll enjoy it ;)

Totally agree! I got my Caanoo a week ago and it's great. Indeed only the GBA needs a bit of work.
Also still waiting for the C64 and Amiga emulator.

Some people say that the thumbstick is not good but i disagree on that. I think it works great.

The Caanoo is a great little system. That said, for gba games the psp is better. The thumbstick is fine though except when you have to double tap which can be a bit tricky.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll have a punt on the caanoo. I came to the conclusion that (a) None of the new handhelds (ds et al) or games excite me as much as the older systems (snes etc) and (B) I like the idea of re-living the games of my youth!

Cheers,
Steve

BAFelton said:
Caanoo is fine for all of them. GBA needs a bit of improvement, but the others work great.

With the price of the Caanoo at the moment (see ebay). You'll enjoy it ;)

LOL. Just wrote a post a few weeks ago and no one went into details on the emulators except for the near perfect genesis emulation. Glad to hear the emulators are working good. Atleast the ones I care about. NES, SNES, GENESIS, NeoGeo, and MAME. Anything else is icing on the cake and won't be used much. I love older games. I still play a tone of modern games, but there is something magical on Super Mario Brothers, Mario Kart (snes), and MAME. I bit the bullet. I am fine with the arcade stick. Played a ton of the new Mortal Kombat last night and even though the d-pad is ideal, my thumb was blistered after hours of game play. An arcade stick is fine with me as long as the programmers make it near perfect in games. From the sound of it it is. Can't wait to get mine. The downside is mine is coming from Korea on ebay (Saved $23 so I could get a $21 16 class 6 sd card, and $1 case that works on the caanoo but designed for a ds lite). Won't be here for a good week or two. Can't wait to play SMB on the go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve,

just wanted to let you know that i just got my wiz today (for C64 and Amiga emulation), but i can tell you that the Caanoo feels much better. The buttons on the wiz are not so great.
The feel cheap. I say go for the Caanoo!

Just wanted to let you know that i played around with the Wiz and Caanoo for a couple of days now but the Caanoo is way better then the wiz. Didn't mentioned it before but the screen from the Caanoo is better and bigger.
Hope to see an Amiga and C64 emulator soon.

HI folks,

Thanks for the advice. My Caanoo arrived today and is receiving its first charge as I type :)

Looking forward to getting the emus onboard later.

@U9i - I can't program really. I'm not adverse to tinkering about trying to work out optimum settings for things. But I do write music. So hopefully I can get involved in the community that way.

Thanks all,
Steve

Well let us know what you think of the Cannoo, I'm always excited to hear peoples thoughts on there new toys :)

steveoath said:
HI folks,

Thanks for the advice. My Caanoo arrived today and is receiving its first charge as I type :)

Looking forward to getting the emus onboard later.

@u9i - I can't program really. I'm not adverse to tinkering about trying to work out optimum settings for things. But I do write music. So hopefully I can get involved in the community that way.

Thanks all,
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Back