Is it game over or GP32?

The Mole

I have not been a GP32 owner for long proberly about a month now yet all i see is people talking about Zodiac. Have i made a bad choice? i am currently playing my GP32 more than any of my home consoles or my GBA or NGPC sadly everybody seams to be moving over to Zodiac and i feel like i have just wasted about £170

Is their life in the GP32 yet?

Or is it game over for Game Park.

Ya know what, The GP will never die. As long as their are still hard-core fans that stick by the GP during it's hard times and continue to code their wonderful emu's, games, etc. then the GP will live on. For instance the Amiga, a long-abandoned console, it has a HUGE cult following, with developers still pumping out great stuff for it. No siree bob, the GP will continue to kick major ass for all eternity.

Mole, I have had my GP32 for over 10 months now...I ve been a GP32x member for about 8 months.
The Gp32 is not dead, nor is it slowly dying.
There are still so many things coming to the GP32, good things.
I can't tell you what, but only thing I can say is to have some patience.

Everyone who switched over to Zodiac was just there personal choice, I am a Loyal GamePark fan through and through. I always will be. Now some of the Zodiac owners may actually think twice about switching from the GP32 scene.
If I was a zodiac owner, I would think twice. :rolleyes:

BTW, this GP32 Community is mighty strong. As long as the core of the community sticks together, great things will happen

I intend to stick around until the GP32's successor comes out. I may buy a PSP in the interim, but a Zodiac simply doesn't look to be worth my time. It doesn't really do anything the GP32 doesn't do, so I don't see the point.

how come you feel like you've wasted £170 just because people are talking about the zodiac??

surely the amount of enjoyment you get out of your gp32 is what you should base your judgement on.... I mean, come on,.. do you like it or don't you? Sod what everyone else is talking about!

The grass is always greener on the other side.

A lot of us are gadget freaks here, so of course we'll be talking about the Zodiac - its specs outrule the GP32. However, right now, while the Zodiac only has potentional right now in the homebrew scene, the GP32 has tangible benefits.

there's still a lot of life left in this scene, yet.
the GP32 has been characterized by long, long periods of relatively mellow activity - that's just how it is.

it's not dead until all it's superstar homebrew/emu developers officially throw their hands up in the air "I Quit..!" -- it's happened in a couple of cases (in this scene as well as plenty others) but until then you can count on more interesting things coming down the pipe! Just be patient + watch the news.

if you want instant gratification, just get a GBA. You can still play NES, SMS + others on it w/ a flash card, plus there's lots of great SNES ports.

Yes, the Zodiac is a more powerful handheld console, but the gp32 is now a few years old, so it was bound to happen.

However, not everyone is going to jump onto that bandwagon. Have you seen the terms and conditions for getting hold of the Zodiac SDK? The GP32 SDK is freely available, as well as all the documentation and hundreds of example code written by other users. The Zodiac SDK is closed, may only be downloaded from authorised websites, requires you to sign a non-disclosure agreement, prohibits you from even disclosing your own source code if it uses there SDK, etc, etc. For this reason alone, the gp32 will continue to thrive.

The Zodiac is a nice piece of kit, but not everyone wants to learn how to use the console from scratch, and not be able to download example code from others. I believe example code (and general source code on it's own) is an incredibly useful learning resource. By prohibiting this, they are holding back the homebrew community and pushing for more commercial software.

Thanks for your replys guys...

The reson is say this is because i come from the NGPC scene, over their they are dedicated to everything that is neo-geo and would not even consider another console or even talk about it. Since i joined this forum all i have seen has been posts about how the Zodiac is better and people are selling their gp32 in order to get one, even though i left the NGPC community i still feel like i am part of it and while i have sold on most of my collection in order to fund a GP32 i would never sell some of my special games or my unit.

It was a big choice for me to move over to the GP32 but it is such a great console i did not want to miss out on the highs and lows like i did with the NGPC as i only started my collection about 10 months back.

I thought that maybe i had been a bit late and had missed all the highs and lows of the GP32 and now was just on a downer till the coders had joined Zodiac.

To me buying a console is not just about the games or what it has to offer but its about the people that support the machine. My personal choice is i will never go near the Xbox while it may have some great games and my belovid Rare i feel that Microsoft is in it for the money and the money only and i for one will not be helping Bill Gates bank ballence grow any more than i have to.

ralp99 i do own a GBA but thats because i have grown up with Nintendo all my life, i have been a dedicated Nintendo fan all my life yeah Fanboy or what ever but thats my choice. However it was one game that opened me up to the world of gaming and its funny that the game was not on a Nintendo console, it was Metal Slug. SInce playing Metal Slug 2 in an arcade when i was on holiday i knew that i had to own a version of the game, no longer could i wait for the GBA version so i went in search of a NGPC. After finding the console i then registered with a few message boards and started to realise that the little guy in the gaming world was far more important that the big companies like Nintendo. Its quite sad but the NGPC community looked out for eachother and it was the first time i had felt part of an internet community like it. However after finishing both Metal Slug games and getting and enjoying almost all the games on offer my only step was to move on. After searching the net i found out about GP32. The first place i headed for was gamefaqs and i had decided on a Zodiac until one person replied to a topic i had made on the GP32 board about Zodiac slamming me for invading his and GP32 space. I knew from that moment that i had to get a GP32. Within a week i had a GP32, yeah its an amazing machine and i am sure i have made the right choice, but i was just hoping that like with the NGPC i had not joined the system far too late and had missed out on all the action as it was happening.

There is still plenty of action to be had on the GP32. Plenty of things going to happen ...its only a matter of time.

Its "potential" still hasn't been reached.
I believe this community is going to be here a long time in order to find out how much "potential" it really has.

You also have to remember that a lot of the coders are university students, so there will be lull periods near the end of our semesters where we try to cram for all the work we missed fooling around with GP32 development ;)

I expect an explosion of stuff near the end of the year and especially January. Giana's Return is only one example of something coming in January.

I like to read all those optimistic words about GP32. I've too made a choice and bought GP32 instead of Zodiac and sometimes hesitated if I didn't make bad decision. But this hesitating ends every time with smile on my face and GP32 in my hands playing my favourite old console games on one of the great emulators. I only hope Genesis and SNes emulators will be sometime as great as e.g. SMS, NES emulators are. This is my only wish an right now I am pretty sure it will happens. Not to mention a lot of great PD games which I really enjoy as well as commerical games. GP32 and GBA SP are best handhelds I've ever have ( I still have NGPC, Atari Lynx, GG, GBC, GBPocket, GB, Wonderswan Color) and i think only SONY PSP could change my opinion. Long live GP 32 :D

Sorry to come across as somewhat pedantic but the amiga is not and never will be a console.I own two of those fine machines a 1200 and a 500 both computers.
As for the gp32 im still trying to buy one of these little handhelds but thus far ebay auction bids have evaded me.
I am a little dissapointed about the lack of amiga emulation on the machine as i was looking forward to that possibility but no matter,the lucasarts adventures and good spectrum emulation will suffice for me. :)

Enjoy your GP32'2 chaps.

Aren't all console manufacturers in it for the money? I have alot of respect for Microsoft when it comes to the Xbox. I brought my Xbox quite soon after release in the UK. When Microsoft dropped the price by £100 they offered all the early buyers 2 games and an extra control pad for free. When they same happened to me after buying an N64 I just had to put up with it.

Just learned on IRC that a big project is soon to be released. I think this'll definately infuse some life back into the scene.

Unfortunately, I can't give out any details without the author's explicit consent. I just wanted to assure everyone that the scene definately is NOT dead.

new softwarre release - no offense, but that's been said before (and turned out limp) so I'll not be freaking out just yet...
interested though...

that would be great maybe fullspeed snes emu ? :D :rolleyes:

back to topic i buyed my gp32 a month ago and im happy with it. but i dunno, zodiac sure will have gba emulation, if not n64 with its 128mb ram.
i still hope not too many ppl go to zodiac cuz its 300 or 400€, so the gp32 comm will live on.... :rolleyes:

*lovesgp32* B)

Back